A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Absolutely loved Avatar, never got around watching Korra. Should probably do so.

DarkBluePhoenix wrote:That being said, it was reported this morning that Avatar: The Last Airbender is being reborn as a live action series courtesy of Netflix. The co-creators (Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko) are both on board to oversee the show and its development, so it should be very true to the source material. And the promo image already makes it look pretty awesome.

If we go by looks only, the movie from a couple of years ago also looked good, and it was a burning train wreck. :D But a series generally has more potential than a film, so I am definitely interested
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Avatar: Legend of Korra

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Thank you to whoever moved my post this thread ^_^
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 am

The Legend of Korra is really good. It has some flaws - the writing is not as focused as the original show, by breaking the show up into four complete mini-series characters drastically fluctuate in importance & the at-the-time big deal of ending the show with a canon gay romance fell flat for me because I don't recall the two characters ever having had an actual conversation beforehand - but is still up there as one of the better American animated series.

Not sure how to think about an Avatar: The Last Airbender remake but Netflix is seriously looking for their own Game of Thrones*** + they need a mega-franchise brandname show to compete with Disney Streaming (launching in Fall 2019) that is going to draw most of its appeal from viciously using popular franchises. I expect we're about to see a couple announcements of "Netflix to do show on INSERT BRAND NAME Here" as they prepare for Disney Streaming to steal a lot of their online viewer hours.

On the upside though, sounds like the original creators are actually involved this time & not just there in name-only so a certain filmmaker can make it all their own Netflix will pull out the big bucks for it & best of all, with the times that they are now thankfully whitewashing ain't gonna get a cultural pass in 2019/2020 like it did in 2010. Sokka & Katara won't be two super white kids from the suburbs of Kentucky hilariously out of place when standing alongside the rest of the members from their "Tribe" who are all actual Inuits. That still blows my mind that people thought it was "acceptable".

I am interested.

***Which Netflix will never really get a Game of Thrones type pop-culture phenom. Their model of "You Can Watch it All Now" ruins any chance of them having a long-standing pop culture juggernaut like Game Of Thrones. Even their biggest hit shows, namely House of Cards & Stranger Things, have a very short lifespan as the center of pop culture - Kevin Spacey scandal aside I think every season of House of Cards is maybe a popular center of discussion for 4 days before people move on to the next things & while Stranger Things fares a little better it's mostly iconography & people's weird obsession with the way underage lead actress that stays a points of conversation - before everyone moves on because people binge them as quick as possible & don't really sit with the experience. A big reason why GoT is the phenomenon it is today is because the story (show, not the books which will never end) has been slowly dished out to people over the course of almost a decade. When you only get a little bit of the story a week it engenders discussion with others, anticipation of whats next, the opportunity to make narrative predictions & be proven right or wrong, etc. The audience sees a character change from one viewpoint to another over the course of several months & not just over the course of an afternoon. New Avatar will be huge for Netflix but most people will probably binge the first new season in a weekend.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The Legend of Korra is really good. It has some flaws - the writing is not as focused as the original show, by breaking the show up into four complete mini-series characters drastically fluctuate in importance & the at-the-time big deal of ending the show with a canon gay romance fell flat for me because I don't recall the two characters ever having had an actual conversation beforehand - but is still up there as one of the better American animated series. New Avatar will be huge for Netflix but most people will probably binge the first new season in a weekend.

The only person it was a big deal to (at the time)..lol was rosenakahara...and yeah it did fall flat. The ending of the series ruined a perfectly good show.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:44 am

I hope no one was looking forward to Netflix's live action adaptation of AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER.

https://www.michaeldantedimartino.com/an-open-letter-to-avatar-the-last-airbender-fans/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:22 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:The only person it was a big deal to (at the time)..lol was rosenakahara...and yeah it did fall flat. The ending of the series ruined a perfectly good show.

Legend of Korra suffered terribly as Nickelodeon didn't treat it right from the get go from what I've heard they were adamant that a female show was going to fail they even tried to pull it, but the test groups showed boys watching didn't care that Korra was a woman they liked her because she was cool. Its very telling that unlike Aang Korra had no toy line or collectables during its run. She is getting toys now but that's years later, I know this as I wanted to buy one and could only find fan merchandise. (The only statue ever sold of her, was way out my price range and limited edition and came out after the series ended)

Also, from what I've heard the ending was done as the animators were sick of their treatment by Nickelodeon they basically said fuck it were are going to go for our gay ending because you pulled our show from TV and made it online only and made a load of excuses about it being to violent that don't add up since Aang is just as violent and I really respect their middle finger and still do to this day as it opened the gates on LGBT themes in kids cartoons.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:15 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I hope no one was looking forward to Netflix's live action adaptation of AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER.

I have to admit that I had completely forgotten this even existed. Oh well.

silvermoonlight wrote:Legend of Korra suffered terribly as Nickelodeon didn't treat it right from the get go from what I've heard they were adamant that a female show was going to fail they even tried to pull it, but the test groups showed boys watching didn't care that Korra was a woman they liked her because she was cool. Its very telling that unlike Aang Korra had no toy line or collectables during its run. She is getting toys now but that's years later, I know this as I wanted to buy one and could only find fan merchandise. (The only statue ever sold of her, was way out my price range and limited edition and came out after the series ended)

I obviously don't know how it was handled in the states, but over here in Germany, they tried VERY HARD to have it be a success. They tried too hard.

The entire trailer was like "who look at how cool and badass she is! Remember Katara? Well, she is even cooler!" and the second or third line of the damn thing was about how obviously all boys are going to fall for her immediately.
I was a right about my peak Avatar fanboying at that time and was sucking up absolutely everything and anything I could find on the universe, but after seeing that trailer I went "nope fuck that, this is not what I like Avatar for" and wrote it off as dead.

It's been years since then, and while I have thought about picking it up a few times, but since basically everyone tells me that much like its trailers, the show focuses a little too much on its shipping potential and glosses over other stuff for that sake, I don't see myself getting much enjoyment out of it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:44 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:It's been years since then, and while I have thought about picking it up a few times, but since basically everyone tells me that much like its trailers, the show focuses a little too much on its shipping potential and glosses over other stuff for that sake, I don't see myself getting much enjoyment out of it

Over in UK they did try harder to advertise it but they never advertised it as Korra being better than Aang only that it was a new Avatar product.

I won't deny that there is a huge issue with the love triangle that goes on in one of the seasons where Mako starts playing of both women and being an utter hound dog and it annoyed me no end, but I feel this is an issue here is a reflection of it's time and a long-standing issue that still being sorted in female lead media which is to guy leads romance is secondary and a facet to their growth in stories whereas with female characters its sometimes made the whole thing and key focus and Korra really suffered because of this in the early seasons. (This does not apply to anime as anime does get around this)

I have seen though in recent years more and more media is getting a handle on this but it's a slow change I am not saying in any way female led media should not have romances I'm purely saying it should be a facet and not the whole thing same as male led media as it causes the female character's growth to really suffer when it's done badly.

I also feel if you can ignore this and get to season 3/4 they are so worth it
SPOILER: Show
As the handling of korra's going from super strong to being stuck in a where chair and suffering serious PDST and mental illness is brilliantly handled,
like I just wish the other seasons had been like that as that's the shows greatest tragedy when it started to hit the ground running it was to close to end.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:11 pm

I don't think I will watch it any time soon, if at all to be honest. A lot of the praise I hear about the later seasons is how it handles its pairings, which is the one aspect in any given story that I do not care about whatsoever, and far more often than not find myself annoyed at the screentime it takes up

Return to “Film and Video”