Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Best thing about a 2020 release is it gives me time to save up for a real big trip to Japan!

Like a travel to Hakone and stay there and explore the area where the show takes place kinda trip?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Best thing about a 2020 release is it gives me time to save up for a real big trip to Japan!

Do you understand Japanese?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

HeisokuNoKakudai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HeisokuNoKakudai » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:53 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Like a travel to Hakone and stay there and explore the area where the show takes place kinda trip?

wtf u saying this made me find out that Tokyo-3 wasn't built in the same location as Tokyo lol.....

Googled images of Hakone and it looks so beautiful :asuka_happy:
I went to Japan recently and I want to go back soon to see more amazing places like this... was there for 2 weeks but I feel like I only scratched the surface

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I do not know Japanese but I’ll make it work. Spent a long summer once in India & Nepal and did just not fine not knowing any of the major languages.
Plus I got at least a year & a half to plan. All I need is for Khara to give the film a date besides “2020”.
I figure that will happen July 29, 2019.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:35 pm

View Original PostHeisokuNoKakudai wrote:wtf u saying this made me find out that Tokyo-3 wasn't built in the same location as Tokyo lol.....

Googled images of Hakone and it looks so beautiful :asuka_happy:
I went to Japan recently and I want to go back soon to see more amazing places like this... was there for 2 weeks but I feel like I only scratched the surface

:lol:

Yeah, on the wiki page for Tokyo-3 there's a good diagram showing the real landmarks around the fictional city.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm also tentatively preparing for a trip to Japan that would coincide with the release of the film. It would be great to organize a possible meetup with other EvaGeeks that intend to make the same journey. I don't speak Japanese, but that really isn't a requirement for being a tourist for a week or two.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 am

For the rest of us that cant go to Japan; how long after the Jap-release will it take for an international release?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 am

^ Maybe they'll follow Dragon Ball Super: Broly's lead and give us a theatrical release of the dub a month after it debuts in the land of the rising sun. Times have changed a lot since they released the last movie after all.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:24 pm

OTOH there's been no physical release of the Japan Animator Expo series, which I would have expected. Was I unreasonable?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Since Toho & Toei are the distributors of 3.0+1.0 I think a run similar to the new Dragonball Super movie is very likely. Premiere's in Japan on a set date and then two to three months later there are specially scheduled screenings in the US. The anime theatrical business has drastically changed since 3.0 was released in 2012 with even some of the most obscure theatrical anime titles getting screened in US theaters. Unless if the movie comes out in Japan in the last third of the year - September to December - I'd be very surprised if Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 didn't screen in the US sometime in 2020.

Though hopefully unlike the Dragonball movie there will be opportunities to see the film subtitled in Japanese.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:21 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Though hopefully unlike the Dragonball movie there will be opportunities to see the film subtitled in Japanese.

Dragonball is pretty much the only case where the I literally cannot stand the Japanese dub. I’m sure Masako Nozawa is a sweet lady, but good God is her voice distracting. Though, the original Funimation dub I think was better (Stephanie Nadolny is far and away the better voice for young Goku/Gohan).

Back on topic:

Going to Japan is a blast, but I’m pretty sure they will not have any English subtitles in a Japanese theater. You won’t understand most of what happens in the film, which will make for a pretty sucky viewing experience.

One does hope that they’ll play subbed versions in some theaters Stateside. Hell, I caught a subbed version of Princess Mononoke on the big screen completely by surprise during the monthly Ghibli fest that AMC theaters is doing this year and it was thebomb.com.

My one hope (which will never be fulfilled) is that when NGE does eventually get a BluRay deal in America, they’ll redub it with an entirely new cast.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:52 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:You won’t understand most of what happens in the film, which will make for a pretty sucky viewing experience.

That's true for the dubs too, it's Eva. :tongue:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:37 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Since Toho & Toei are the distributors of 3.0+1.0 I think a run similar to the new Dragonball Super movie is very likely. Premiere's in Japan on a set date and then two to three months later there are specially scheduled screenings in the US. The anime theatrical business has drastically changed since 3.0 was released in 2012 with even some of the most obscure theatrical anime titles getting screened in US theaters. Unless if the movie comes out in Japan in the last third of the year - September to December - I'd be very surprised if Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 didn't screen in the US sometime in 2020.

Though hopefully unlike the Dragonball movie there will be opportunities to see the film subtitled in Japanese.

We've gotten some more news about that. Broly is getting a debut screening at the TLC Chinese Theater on December 13th and releases nationwide on January 16th, a month after its Japanese release. Toei said they're sending dubbing companies a working cut of the film so they can speed up the international release, and I'm not sure if I can see Khara doing that for Evangelion.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:We've gotten some more news about that. Broly is getting a debut screening at the TLC Chinese Theater on December 13th and releases nationwide on January 16th, a month after its Japanese release. Toei said they're sending dubbing companies a working cut of the film so they can speed up the international release, and I'm not sure if I can see Khara doing that for Evangelion.

True, but the possibility does exist, but at the very least it won't take a year for a dubbed version to get released in theaters whether in a limited or a wide release, especially considering Eva's continued popularity.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:23 pm

^

Remember a dubbed release for 1.0 and 2.0 in english speaking countries happened a year after the first Japanese BD and DVDs releases. 3.0s english release was a total mess the same as taking longer in production than 1.0 and 2.0, hindering Anno to make both 3.0 and FINAL.

FINALs production takes a year longer than 3.0s, with a english release happening in the same way as 1.0 and 2.0 when Funimation doesn't make the same mistake as with 3.0.

When FINAL is shown close after the Japanese premiere in cinemas around US, UK and Austraila, then in the same way as Godzilla Resurgence and only subbed.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:32 pm

^ True, but times have changed since 1.0, and even since 3.0. They should be more than able to have it translated and dubbed within two to three months for a release internationally. Even if it takes six months, they would be missing out on a great opportunity to, at the very least make more money, and can reduce the turnaround time for fans in the west to also enjoy the final product.
(Pun intended)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 pm

I feel like Funimation will want to get Shin Eva to theaters in a speed similar to their theatrical release of Your Name, so within a few months of the Japanese release.

Now, whether or not they do can be a completely different issue. Eva Ha was the only Funimation release of Eva that wasn't marred in licensing issues and/or creative differences. They don't have a good track record with this franchise in specific, so despite their stellar work in release other Japanese anime to the States in a timely manner, Shin Eva might still be a crap shoot. Hopefully everything goes well.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:04 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Now, whether or not they do can be a completely different issue. Eva Ha was the only Funimation release of Eva that wasn't marred in licensing issues and/or creative differences. They don't have a good track record with this franchise in specific, so despite their stellar work in release other Japanese anime to the States in a timely manner, Shin Eva might still be a crap shoot. Hopefully everything goes well.

I think perhaps Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" should become our unofficial anthem about FINAL's release :lol:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 am

Big reason I don't think there will be any major delay between a Japan & theatrical run - unlike the past three films which were essentially independent productions distributed by small Japanese distribution studios, this final film has the two Japanese big dogs Toho & Toei behind it. They have the money, power & connections overseas to get things done quickly and for a good price.
It sounds like on the previous films Khara was crossing every T & dotting every I in their negotiations with Funimation to make sure they got the best financial deal and that's partially what took so long. With Final, Khara has probably already gotten well paid and are lined up to secure a nice paycheck when Funimation buys (or has already bought) the rights.

Shrug. Again, my best bet is that as long as the film isn't released in Japan after August it will likely get a theatrical play in the Western market.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

^
this

I've watched Q without knowing Japanese in Japanese theaters. It was a mesmerizing experience.

Things really do have changed a lot since Eva Q, and while Funi might have fucked up in the past, the fact that Khara has started to at least acknowledging international audiences on their twitter, coupled with how Godzilla was handled, gives me hope for a theatrical release.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”