How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

fnikhall
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby fnikhall » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:12 pm

I saw a trailer for 2.0 online at some point and thought it looked cool. Since it was a sequel I did some googling to see if I could find where I could watch the first movie. During my research I found out about the original series and so I watched that and EoE over the summer of that year. I thought it was really cool and watching the show led me to this site years ago. I only just created an account because I just got reinterested in the series after watching 3.33 at a friend of mine's apartment. But yeah, been a fan for probably 5 or 6 years now I guess
"Just 'cause you feel it
Doesn't mean it's there" – There, There. Radiohead

ACruelAngelsThesis
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby ACruelAngelsThesis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 pm

View Original PostACruelAngelsThesis wrote:A friend of mine two months ago, told me he was watching Eva. I heard of it, I knew it was about robots or something. He then said I should watch it, so I was in marathoner mood and I watched 1-24 and EOE in 24 hours. My mind was fucking blown. I loved it. I loved everything about Eva, it slowly became my favourite anime series of all time, and I watched Rebuilds and loved 2.22. One of my favourite movies. Now I have 2.22, Volume 2 on DVD and volume 3 of the manga. Love Eva.

Just logged on here for the first time since February 2013, I still fucking love it! My favourite fictional series ever.
I know...I know I've let you down...

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 am

First heard about it mentioned in the bonus features of the Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Blu-ray.
I don't have the Blu-ray but I did hear something about Evangelion from my Chinese bootleg DVD which had the Hideaki Anno commentary (unsubtitled, though).
Nausicaä is what got me into foreign/indie animated films and anime in the first place, and I was watching all the Ghibli films on other bootleg DVDs, so I decided to check out Evangelion.

I watched the Rebuilds first for some reason but I eventually got to watching the TV series and the movies and I absolutely loved it.

This happened around 2010, I actually started watching Evangelion in 2014, just one year before the actual events of the TV series, after seeing it mentioned numerous times in TV Tropes.
I torrented high quality DVD rips of the Platinum Edition TV series and Revival of Evangelion.
And I was the same age as the Children at the time I started watching Eva.
Plus, my birthday is actually two days before Kaworu's birthday and Second Impact.

I have been an Evangelion fan since 2014. And it's literally the first anime series which I watched from beginning to end.
And the only anime which I actually enjoyed up until that point were the Studio Ghibli films (and maybe some pre-Ghibli films too).

TBsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 am

I think I'm the only one here who got introduced to Evangelion by Disordance Axis' last album The Inalienable Dreamless. This album totally changed my perception of music, I listened to metal but never got into really extreme music before listening to this. I discovered stuff I would never imagine after that. And then I read that this album was about Evangelion and the rest is history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINKK1Hpm3c

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Thu May 31, 2018 4:20 am

I was introduced at Evangelion thanks to one of my youtubers who made a video about it. My thoughts went from "oh, yet another Power Rangers or Gundam thing" when he said it was a mecha anime to "WTF ?" when he started to talk about the whole psycho drama dimension, and finally to "I want to see this, it's awesome ! :w00t: " at the end. So I started to gather information about it, and now I have a Unit 00 figure on my desk and I'm starting to write a fanfiction. Yep, that escalated quickly.

PS : sorry for my probably mediocre english. Also, it's off-topic but is there another "welcome" thread than the locked ones ? The rules say I have to present myself there, but apparently the whole sub-forum was locked.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 31, 2018 4:26 am

It's now called the Official Hello/Goodbye Thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Thu May 31, 2018 6:19 am

Oh thanks. I really suck at searching things.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

MetroidHatchling
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MetroidHatchling » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:21 pm

I first learned about Evangelion when my friend in 4th grade brought over the dvd for Death and Rebirth. We used to hang out and watch anime a lot and it seemed cool so we watched it. I didn't really get it at first (I probably didn't really understand it until high school and even still there are new things that I realize every time I see it again.) but I enjoyed it and it became a thing that we talked about often. Mostly ragging on Shinji or adoring Asuka and Rei or talking about how cool the Evas are etc. Whatever elementary school kids that are into anime talk about. Around that time I found a pile of Eva VHS tapes at a yard sale that was the entire series (although it was a mix of sub and dub), I got my parents to buy it for me (pretty cheap) and watched the series that way. I also vaguely remember it being on Toonami from time to time.

My friend and I stayed interested in the show and we had a bit of a rivalry thing going between Asuka and Rei. He really likes Asuka and I really like Rei. We're still friends and this still goes to today.

Also around that time, probably 6th grade or so, there was a place in las vegas where I used to live called Game World and they had a lot of cool anime import stuff. I remember they had booster packs of cards for Raise Ayanami Scheduled. At the time I didn't know what they were but every time I went in I bought a pack (pretty sure I'm the only person who ever really did because eventually I bought the entire box and they gave the cardboard part to me.) because I just loved all the Ayanami artwork and seeing her in different costumes and such. I have almost the complete set because of that, missing only 1 common and 4 or 5 rares. I can't find any of them anywhere now, frustratingly, but I loved the cards so much. I used to carry around the one with her playing the violin in a plastic sleeve to my violin performances in middle school for good luck and inspiration.

Ever since then Evangelion's just kind of been a part of my life. It's tied for my favorite anime of all time alongside Azumanga Daioh, I usually say it depends on my mood if I'm in a good mood I like Azumanga more, if I'm depressed it's Eva.

Adrian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Adrian » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 pm

I had a friend in 6th, maybe 7th grade(so, around '97 or '98) who was also interested in anime. It was very difficult to get in my area(small, rural, no internet, poor, etc) and he wanted to borrow my Fist of the North Star and Akira tapes. Naturally I had to have collateral, since those were my babies. He let me keep his Neon Genesis Evangelion Vol. 1 tape. I was leery, as I had never heard of it and wasn't blown away by the cover or description. I watched it, you know, just 'cause. Loved every second of it. I spent the next several years trying to watch the series to completion. A lot of time and frustration getting to done but totally worth it. Back in 2010 I managed to snag a copy of the Platinum: Perfect collection for $40. It was brand new and sealed, but the tin outer box had been damaged so I had to acknowledge that the discs could be damaged to get it. Got it, opened it up and boom, all was fine inside. One of the best deals I ever got.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am

It was a few years back when I was first getting properly into anime/manga, and it was during a very edgy phase. I searched for any sort of "Controversial" anime that I could find, and controversial = Evangelion. So yeah, I had found it through that, kept it on the backburner, and what actually kickstarted me watching it properly was seeing the second rebuild movie followed by the third in cinemas. Surprised to say I was left confused as shit, but it only kickstarted my curiosity with what things really meant - and so I went right back to NGE and the rest is history.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Samueltl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Samueltl » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:04 am

Youtuber called Ailin95/Ailin95TV got me into Evangelion around 2009

thesecondimpact
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thesecondimpact » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:49 am

It was 1999. My older sister had a friend who had a crush on her and lended me all 25 episodes on VHS. Not sure how I got into it tho...maybe he put me onto it. I only watched dubbed anime up until Naruto.

Kenza59
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kenza59 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 am

I started watching anime pretty recently, in 2015. I finally watched Evangelion in early 2017 due to endless memeing on every sort of anime-related (or not even anime-related) internet platform.

10/10, didn't regret a single second of it. I do regret seeing some of these memes though.

ttetssuo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ttetssuo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 pm

it was 2014 and I was having a hard time adjusting to my first year in high school. my sister has loved eva since like 2012. i finally decided to watch it on kissanime, and absolutely adored it. i've never been able to see something and apply its meaning to my life so accurately. now it's 2018 and im having a hard time adjusting to college, and the messages the show gives still give me hope!!

Cowboy Unit-03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cowboy Unit-03 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Ive heard a bout it around all my time on the internet, sparsely tbh, i thoughtof it as that overrated 4chan worshiped anime, legendary because idk y

i saw memes of the OP all over ytube (jimmy neutron anime opening), and then i watched the og couple times (which ive done on several occasions before bcuz that shit is fire), and i finally decided to watch it on the internet

i tried to go in with no expectations, it worked p well. I remember how *real* the shows characters felt, a had a great respect for that at the time, (what kept me watching), and i still do
not really that big of an anime watcher tbh, but this is good shit, i like in the tumblr way where i want to adopt all tjhe kids/ want everyone to have a good life and shit (that show made me feel some typa way) but im not delusional so u can chill on that, i aint gonna gut u for saying that kawoshin isnt the best thing ever, i have a worser ship ttbh

Nephew_Time
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nephew_Time » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:12 pm

The first time I watched Evangelion, I had just finished a stint at a junior falconry summer camp. A friend that I made there, whose family was from Palestine, was obsessed with the show. I have no idea how he even found it, he would tell me stories of angels and evas, of a narrative folding in on itself, about this wonderful cartoon about its characters relating to one another. I was intrigued. My older brother was one of those old-blood tape traders and was able to score me a copy. I watched the first episode about three weeks before the September 11th attacks. Needless to say, this show has a lot of meaning for me. I was only a child but I was suddenly assaulted with this world in which there is a larger meaning, a larger picture; viewing this show at such an important time left an impression on me that will last forever.

Once social media became a thing, I was able to track down the boy who told me about it, we talked briefly about the show and then I never heard from him again. Apparently he lived somewhere near the controversially occupied west bank, had lost his job in the sodastream layoffs and was living as a vagrant. I hope he's okay.
I prefer the TV ending.

TrashAssUser
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TrashAssUser » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:56 am

Few years back I stumbled across a video "Cory in the House anime OP". Funny way to begin, right? I scrolled down at the comments, and someone mentioned that the song used was from Evangelion (yes, I was too lazy to read the description). I watched the first few episodes and it was kinda interesting. Then I watched more. Then I met some kid who said there was a "Rebuild" version. Then I watched it. The end.
Also, EoE was kinda scary as I was just 12 back then. I quit halfway, and had nightmares for days. I prefer the E25-E26 ending.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:48 am

^ Have you ever finished watching EoE?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

mikek17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mikek17 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Watched it when I was 13, half asleep during most of the episodes, didn't get it, didn't get the message, thought it was dumb. I did like the giant robots though. Years later I came back, gave it a second look. The message resonated with me a lot. There's a youtuber I like who did a commentary on Eva that I enjoyed, that's how I got into it again. Since then I've watched the series 3 more times

Cowboy Unit-03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cowboy Unit-03 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:44 pm

pretty sure ppl think that eoe being included in the statement "watched all of evangelion" is a given,

also nice pfp, assman

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”