The seven deadly sins of Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C. Smith
Embryo

The seven deadly sins of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 am

Considering the amount of Judeo-Christian imagery and symbolism in the show, it's not complete without the Seven Deadly Sins, and certain characters embody this vice, which also proves to be their undoing.

* Asuka Langley Soryuu represents Pride. Her incredibly arrogant and egotistical attitude blinds her from the ability to work with others, and her attempting to mend her shattered pride after being bested by Shinji was what lead to her infamous Mind Rape. Additionally, her refusing to help Shinji when he was as his lowest was what leads to him snapping and triggering the Third Impact. When she does finally realize how much she has hurt everyone around her, it's too late to make amends.
* Misato Katsuragi represents Lust. Misato leads a borderline hedonistic do-whatever-she-pleases devil-may-care lifestyle as a coping mechanism with the stress of her job and the ghosts from her past. Once things go south for her, they really go south.
* Rei Ayanami represents Sloth. When not piloting an EVA Unit, Rei is seldom seen doing anything. Her sloth is best reflected with her room, where it's very disorganized and messy-looking. Her being raised as disposable leaves her unable to work with others as a team, leading to her death several times.
* Ritsuko Akagi represents Envy. She has displayed intensely jealous behavior over Gendo, and killed the Rei clones so she can get closer to him. She is ultimately killed by the very person that she was jealous over: Gendo.
* Gendo Ikari represents Greed. His entire goal is to bring back his dead wife, not caring what happens to anyone else, and is willing to do anything, including Instrumentality. Rei Ayanami calls him out on this selfish desire and refuses to let him take control of Instrumentality, instead handing it over to Shinji. Gendo is ultimately killed by the very person that he tried to revive: Yui Ikari.
* Keel Lorenz represents Gluttony. The Instrumentality, which Keel has planned for, will result in everyone being consumed into the LCL pool. While Keel does, in a basic sense, succeed in having the humans assimilated, Shinji gives humans the ability to rematerialize themselves back to life, and as Keel cannot live for long without his implants, he will be stuck there forever.
* Shinji Ikari represents Wrath. In spite of his meek demeanor, Shinji has been shown to demonstrate terrifying rage whenever he pilots an EVA unit, which has gotten him in trouble numerous times. In the End of Evangelion, after being pushed one too many and now seemingly abandoned by the world, he snaps out of rage towards everything else and triggers the Third Impact.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: The seven deadly sins of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 am

Hmm. Yes, I rather like this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 am

That is very impressive, how was there not a thread on this before?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am

View Original PostC. Smith wrote:* Misato Katsuragi represents Lust. Misato leads a borderline hedonistic do-whatever-she-pleases devil-may-care lifestyle as a coping mechanism with the stress of her job and the ghosts from her past. Once things go south for her, they really go south.

What you're describing here is most certainly gluttony. A number of the characters exhibit multiple things, and I think lust is better suited to another character. Fuyutsuki in particular is shown to covet Yui Ikari.

Envy and Jealousy aren't the same thing, so I would say Ritsuko is more guilty of jealousy. Kensuke is guilty of envy in particular, in regards to piloting.

It's an interesting thought experiment, not exactly sure how I would arrange the cast.

C. Smith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:50 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:What you're describing here is most certainly gluttony. A number of the characters exhibit multiple things, and I think lust is better suited to another character. Fuyutsuki in particular is shown to covet Yui Ikari.

Lust is the desire for pleasure. It can cover anything, not just sex. Examples of Lust not relating to sex include drug addicts and serial killers, since for the former feels good by taking drugs and the latter feels good by murdering people. There are, of course, overlaps with Gluttony (the desire for excess). I could have made Misato represent that sin but I felt that Keel fits it better than her as Instrumentality is everyone being assimilated into the LCL pool (which can be likened to gluttony). Fuyutsuki coveting Yui is more of a case of Greed.

As I said earlier, the characters must not only embody the sin but said sin must be what leads to their undoing.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:32 pm

View Original PostC. Smith wrote:Lust is the desire for pleasure. It can cover anything, not just sex.

The seven deadly sins were laid out and defined by the Catholic Church, which defines lust as:

2351 Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/a ... s2c2a6.htm

So, like many things, you can more broadly define it, personally, or as a society, but if we're talking about something from a religion, it doesn't make sense to use external definitions that are contradictory.

Gluttony on the other hand is neither lust for more sex, nor envy for what you don't have, it's about more of something that you have, more food, more wine, more money, bigger house. It's the opposite of things like moderation and humility. It could be someone who is morbidly obese, or simply someone who has a needless amount of something, like how Floyd Mayweather has to own two of every car, one in white, one in black, so he can match his vehicle to his outfits.

C. Smith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:So, like many things, you can more broadly define it, personally, or as a society, but if we're talking about something from a religion, it doesn't make sense to use external definitions that are contradictory.

So, assuming that Misato fits Gluttony better (in a religious sense, which is kind of what this thread is exploring), who would fit under Lust?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:37 am

It's hard to say, given the information we have. College age Misato and Kaji would absolutely fit the definition. But during the series events? Hard to say.

The question is, who is having sex (or wants to) for reasons other than love or procreation? My guess would probably be Gendo. Sure, there's the reading that he slept with the Akagi women to manipulate them, but what does that actually accomplish as far as influence? I don't know, but I don't think his relationships with the Akagi women were about love or children, probably just pleasure, and maybe some manipulation. Not to mention, not long after Naoko's death, he starts sleeping with her daughter, Ritsuko. I think most people agree that that's kind of messed up.

Fuyutsuki pines for Yui, Hyuga pines for Misato, Ibuki pines for Ritsuko... but I don't think any of these are developed well enough to say that any of these characters are by definition lusting after the other.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Shinji hits every one of the seven deadly sins at some point in the show.

Pride? Episodes 3 (disobeying Misato’s orders) and 16. (“You are number one!” “Battle is a man’s job!”)

Lust? Episodes 5 (Rei dressing), 8 (Asuka undressing), 9 (Asuka sleeping), 20 (“Become one with me”), and EoE (“I know about your little jerk-off fantasies”).

Sloth? The whole show. (Not doing ANYTHING unless he’s told do. He’s a lot like Rei in that regard.)

Envy? Flops back and forth from desiring a life with Eva and without Eva.

Greed? EoTV and EoE. (Rei grants Shinji overbearing autonomy over all of Instrumentality, efffecting EVERYONE’S life for his perceived benefit.)

Gluttony? Being surrounded by women’s panties in just about every place of residence he enters. (Both Misato and Rei’s place. His insatiable panty fetish cannot be satisfied!)

Wrath? Episode 19 (attacking Nerv over the use of the Dummy Plug) and EoE. (“Wouldn't it be nice if everyone would just die?”)

The other characters in Eva are just different slices of Shinji packaged in a different body and personality.

C. Smith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:55 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Shinji hits every one of the seven deadly sins at some point in the show.

Pride? Episodes 3 (disobeying Misato’s orders) and 16. (“You are number one!” “Battle is a man’s job!”)

Lust? Episodes 5 (Rei dressing), 8 (Asuka undressing), 9 (Asuka sleeping), 20 (“Become one with me”), and EoE (“I know about your little jerk-off fantasies”).

Sloth? The whole show. (Not doing ANYTHING unless he’s told do. He’s a lot like Rei in that regard.)

Greed? EoTV and EoE. (Rei grants Shinji overbearing autonomy over all of Instrumentality, efffecting EVERYONE’S life for his perceived benefit.)

Gluttony? Being surrounded by women’s panties in just about every place of residence he enters. (Both Misato and Rei’s place. His insatiable panty fetish cannot be satisfied!)

Wrath? Episode 19 (attacking Nerv over the use of the Dummy Plug) and EoE. (“Wouldn't it be nice if everyone would just die?”)

The other characters in Eva are just different slices of Shinji packaged in a different body and personality.

Come on, Shinji displayed Wrath a whole lot more than just those two moments.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: Shinji hits every one of the seven deadly sins at some point in the show.

And everyone is not like that?

Pride: If he had followed Misato's command he would have turned his back to an enemy who had medium- and long-range weapons (Monofilament Whips!) and he would probably have been beheaded by Shamshel as Zeruel had done with Eva 02. It was pure luck that he threw himself at the angel and imposed a hand to hand and the creature was ill equipped for it. Maybe the instinct of self-preservation and/or repressed anger eventually saved Shinji's life.

Who said "You are number one!" was Misato. He said nothing and never boasted "I am the best" or some bullshit similar. Shinji said that nonsense: "Battle is a man's job" because Asuka always said that he should be more manliness and, well, we are in Eva and all the woes of the world will always visit Shinji, sooner or later.

Lust: He did nothing wrong in most of these things. You were once a teenager and I doubt you were anything different. Because of Shinji reaction to a young couple at the movie theater and the fact that he not had sex with Misato when she volunteered, he must have been a prudish boy, until Hideaki Anno decides to turn him into a sexual predator in EoE (Why? Only God knows and Satan can imagine). He did not show his genitals to Asuka like Touji and never took photos secretly of Asuka to sell in school like Kensuke. And that madness inside the Eva was not his thing, but Eva's own.

Sloth: This is not laziness, it's depression! I know people with this disease who cannot, literally, get out of bed to do anything during crises.

Envy: Really? You're kidding, right?

Greed: Anno turned Eva 01 into a Wish Machine for dramatic reasons: to transfer all the blame of Instrumentality to Shinji. Eva was a kind of receptacle (Yorishiro) for souls and there was never any mention that it was a Monkey's Paw, Aladdin's Lamp, the Dragon Balls, the Fate's Holy Grail, etc in any moment.

Gluttony: Dude, you really know how to be sarcastic!

Wrath: The attack on Nerv, in that situation I would have done something similar sooner or later and the EoE, was to conclude the destruction of the character: in addition to becoming a sexual predator and was also a omnicide maniac.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:19 pm

View Original PostC. Smith wrote:Considering the amount of Judeo-Christian imagery and symbolism in the show, it's not complete without the Seven Deadly Sins, and certain characters embody this vice, which also proves to be their undoing.

* Asuka Langley Soryuu represents Pride. Her incredibly arrogant and egotistical attitude blinds her from the ability to work with others, and her attempting to mend her shattered pride after being bested by Shinji was what lead to her infamous Mind Rape. Additionally, her refusing to help Shinji when he was as his lowest was what leads to him snapping and triggering the Third Impact. When she does finally realize how much she has hurt everyone around her, it's too late to make amends.
* Misato Katsuragi represents Lust. Misato leads a borderline hedonistic do-whatever-she-pleases devil-may-care lifestyle as a coping mechanism with the stress of her job and the ghosts from her past. Once things go south for her, they really go south.
* Rei Ayanami represents Sloth. When not piloting an EVA Unit, Rei is seldom seen doing anything. Her sloth is best reflected with her room, where it's very disorganized and messy-looking. Her being raised as disposable leaves her unable to work with others as a team, leading to her death several times.
* Ritsuko Akagi represents Envy. She has displayed intensely jealous behavior over Gendo, and killed the Rei clones so she can get closer to him. She is ultimately killed by the very person that she was jealous over: Gendo.
* Gendo Ikari represents Greed. His entire goal is to bring back his dead wife, not caring what happens to anyone else, and is willing to do anything, including Instrumentality. Rei Ayanami calls him out on this selfish desire and refuses to let him take control of Instrumentality, instead handing it over to Shinji. Gendo is ultimately killed by the very person that he tried to revive: Yui Ikari.
* Keel Lorenz represents Gluttony. The Instrumentality, which Keel has planned for, will result in everyone being consumed into the LCL pool. While Keel does, in a basic sense, succeed in having the humans assimilated, Shinji gives humans the ability to rematerialize themselves back to life, and as Keel cannot live for long without his implants, he will be stuck there forever.
* Shinji Ikari represents Wrath. In spite of his meek demeanor, Shinji has been shown to demonstrate terrifying rage whenever he pilots an EVA unit, which has gotten him in trouble numerous times. In the End of Evangelion, after being pushed one too many and now seemingly abandoned by the world, he snaps out of rage towards everything else and triggers the Third Impact.

Definitely an interesting view, but I think it is coincidence/confirmation bias rather than planned by Anno. It also holds the danger of watering down each character to a single trait, which, in the case of Rei in particular ("leading to her death several times") is debatable in itself, as none of her deaths have any real connection to sloth.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

scorpew
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby scorpew » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Shinji hits every one of the seven deadly sins at some point in the show.

That's kind of forced. Specially the gluttony one. And probably you can use that logic with every character in the show.

scorpew
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby scorpew » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:56 am

Perhaps 7 deadly sins has something to do with this:

https://wiki.evageeks.org/File:SEELE_logo(NGE).jpg

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:42 pm

For old NGE, I'd call it a stretch, but with the new Seele logo having Original Sin front and center... Huh, thanks for the idea. Let me play with it for a bit. :thumbsup:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”