Hideaki Anno, Mari, and destroying Eva

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Hideaki Anno, Mari, and destroying Eva

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm

So in an interview a few years ago, when asked about Mari, Anno said he wanted her to "destroy Eva". I always saw this as a self aware nod to the fact that she's clearly only in the films to sell merch to horny weebs- until last night. I was thinking about this quote while showering when I realized, Mari was exactly what the fans wanted. "More fanservice and cute waifu material please!", they would call from their dorito-stained keyboards. New Theatrical Evangelion is a mutant conglomeration of fanservice, along with it's real effects on the characters. What was the biggest complaint people had about getting into Neon Genesis Evangelion? "Shinji is a pussy". Because of this, Anno decided to give the fans exactly what they wanted, by having Shinji become a badass hero, going after his waifu even at the cost of the planet itself. However, this did lead to the near destruction of Earth, and set Shinji and WILLE back tremendously. Because of Shinji's selfish, brash actions, everything is fucked. This displays a clear reference to how people perceived Neon Genesis and especially EoE, they hated it because it didn't have the happy ending they wanted, but instead a real, logical ending with a powerful message. Anno is using New Theatrical Evangelion to show those who hated Neon Genesis that they can't always get what they want, and sometimes you have to look at the real world, a very roundabout way to call back to how Neon Genesis was originally supposed to be more about the potential dangers of too much escapism. This is only one example, but the biggest one that stands out in my mind. There are tons more, Shinji and Rei finally becoming closer, with a love triangle developing involving Asuka, however this means very little in the grand scheme of things. Kawoshin finally has a chance to shine, however because Kaworu is cocky, seemingly wanting to wear the DSS Choker as a taunt to the Lilin who couldn't kill him, he gets himself killed. A billion new characters were added in Q because of the positive reaction to Mari, but just like Mari, they all have very little screen time and one-note personalities.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Hideaki Anno, Mari, and destroying Eva

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Mari has an important role advising Shinji near the ends of both *Ha* and *Q*.

As for ‘breaking’ Eva, what she breaks is conventions established in NGE, like restrictions on who can pilot which Eva unit, not the franchise as a whole.

And ‘one note’? If this was NGE perhaps, but in the film context she is as developed as necessary - and indeed still has unexplained mysteries about her.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:10 am

I think her presence indeed changes quite a bit about the tone of the films, indirectly too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Mari Makinami Illustrious.

The Force of Nature.

I'll never get it how divided the opinions are about her.

For Rebuild being a reboot to try some new and old concepts that weren't possible to implement in Neon Genesis, she's a importaint key person that stands greatly in contrast to Shinji and Asuka.

She deals her inner demons and takes her role as a Eva-Pilot with ease and humor, no matter how serious it is.

Her having also a significant amount of knowledge about imformation that is too dangerous to be known, because of her connections with IPEA and Kaji, does question her actual background, whether she experienced similar trauma like Shinji and Asuka for becoming a Eva-Pilot, or it could be far more than that.

In one form or another we'll see what kind of person Mari really is in 3.0+1.0, though I don't think she can stop Asuka from hating Shinji and Shinji from hating himself and who knows what she 'll want from Rei.

She cares about the wellbeing of the other Pilots more than others do and she can't have any malicious intends in that matter.

What ever 'll be shown in 3.0+1.0, about what makes Mari as we know her, she 'll have her big moments.
Last edited by The Cruel on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Aing1982
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aing1982 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:12 am

I just joined the forum and i already found so many useful info... i personally enjoyed a lot reading especially this post! thanks! can i ask questions or talk with you guys?? thanks again Instant Pot Beautiful Spinach Soup With Shrimps
Last edited by Aing1982 on Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Of course, we all love Evangelion here. ;)
It's a good idea to look at the forum rules, I think you'll have a good time here.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

View Original PostAing1982 wrote:I just joined the forum and i already found so many useful info... i personally enjoyed a lot reading especially this post! thanks! can i ask questions or talk with you guys?? thanks again

Be our guest and feel free to let it all out about how Eva screwed your life like I did. Eva finds it's people as much as you find Eva.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:12 am

I like your spin on things, although I do think that Anno probably meant it in a more broad sense in regards to the franchise. I think that Mari as a character is one that breaks (or rather 'destroys') Eva's world in some regards, and bends some set in-universe rules and such. She destroyed people's perception of the films and showed that Rebuild was it's own beast, with it's own ideas and rules.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Jibe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jibe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 am

I noticed one thing. In NGE, the last drop of happiness disappeears just after ep17, when eva03 test is about to be launched. Everything goes irremediably worse and worse after that with no exception.
In rebuild, the only thing that breaks this strict rule after the same chronological point is : Mari .

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:20 am

^ Well, that's just art imitating life. There's always someone, even in the darkest of times, who can still crack a joke because their since of humor is darker than any cup of coffee in existence. Mari breaks the serious/stoic mould that the show had where everyone internalized their shit, while she uses sarcasm and humor to hide and cope with whatever trauma she's had or is going through.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”