Flashing text (and Gerry Anderson influences)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dougurasu
Embryo

Flashing text (and Gerry Anderson influences)

•      
  •      

Postby Dougurasu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 am

I'm making a short video on Gerry Anderson influences in Evangelion and I've compiled a bit of a list (not as long as I'd like or thought it would be, but it's a start). One thing that I've been looking for is flashing text in Evangelion. Especially a quick white text on black background and the best thing would be to have that twice to prove the point that it is highly likely that the flashing text was inspired by Gerry Anderson's UFO, which does the same thing, but at a lower level (as with most influences, Hideaki Anno took inspiration from someething and took it to the next level). I can't seem to find a nice scene where this happens in in Eva. For example what would be great is a flash of the year and a flash of the location or something. I'm sure I've seen that somewhere in the series, but I can't find it!

Also if you know some more Gerry Anderson influences than the ones I'll list below definitely tell me :D

- Flashing text and rapidfire editing for the opening and throughout the show to visually communicate a few key words, times or locations.
- Thunderbirds inspired launch sequences.
- Buildings hiding underground as seen in Stingray.
- Costume designs for Gendo and Fuyutsuki taken from UFO.
- The Destruct Negative suitcase from UFO.
- Breathable liquid as seen in UFO.
- The date the moon departed from the Earth because of a meteorite impact in Space1999 is the same as Second Impact: September 13.

(Lots of UFO :b)

eldomtom2
Lilith

Re: Flashing text (and Gerry Anderson influences)

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 pm

The entire basic concept of NERV and the Human Instrumentality Commitee/SEELE is directly based on SHADO and the International Astrophysical Commission from UFO. And Gendo is certainly based on Straker in more ways than just visual design...

In a case which is just visual design, NERV bridge and security staff wear uniforms identical in colour to those seen worn by SHADO HQ personnel.

In 1.11, we see a "NERV CONTROL" van that is identical in colour and font to the SHADO mobiles in UFO. "NERV CONTROL" itself is also a reference, as one of the mobiles was "SHADO CONTROL".

In the Proposal, which was written before SEELE was conceived, Keel (there Konrad) Lorenz appears, in a form pretty much identical to General James Henderson from UFO. His description - "United Nations executive committee member and “Human Complementary Plan” manager. Nerv audit committee executive officer (administrator). Establishment of Nerv, and research center and acceptance of Human Complementary Plan largely attributed to his efforts. Good supporter of Chief Ikari in the beginning, but only argues with him now." - pretty much exactly describes James Henderson if you change the names.

And on the subject of General James Henderson, his name turns up (complete with rank) in 2.22 as the head of NERV's 3rd branch. 2.22 also has the blatantly obvious Eagle Transporter knock-off.

Dougurasu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dougurasu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:00 am

Daaangggggg!!! Thanks! This gives me loads to work sith, super awesome! You’re name will go into the special thanks! Thanks so much :)

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Of course the video has already been made and uploaded so this is rather pointless, but episode 7 does bear a remarkable similarity to the Thunderbirds episode "Path of Destruction"...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:01 pm

I remember watching UFO sometime ago and noticed a lot of the similarities in both shows' OPs. I'll have to watch it again more closely and soak in all of the connections. It's nice to see Anno's influences come from both animation and live-action medium.

Dougurasu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dougurasu » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:57 pm

View Original Posteldomtom2 wrote:Of course the video has already been made and uploaded so this is rather pointless, but episode 7 does bear a remarkable similarity to the Thunderbirds episode "Path of Destruction"...

Hey, I still appreciate it though! I should link the video here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB12HNNDDcc

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”