A decade has gone by since the first Rebuild film (Jo)....

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

A decade has gone by since the first Rebuild film (Jo)....

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:42 am

Wow. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since Evangelion: Jo (or 1.0) was released in theaters in Japan. It's almost surreal and feels like it was just yesterday. Hell, it's even hard to believe it's been (almost) 5 years since Q back in 2012! These movies has been very controversial, yes, and hit and miss for audiences (the fans). It's understandable but I I'm one who has enjoyed it greatly and prefer it to the original NGE series (as I saw these movies first before I saw the original). Despite some glaring flaws and issues, I find the Evangelion films to be solid and well made and I love that it deviates greatly from the original narrative and stresses that This Is (Not) The Eva You Know. I'm looking forward 3.0+1.0, the conclusion to the quadriology. I haven't been disappointed yet and look forward to (hopefully) another solid film.

Edited: Replaced the "givers the finger to" to "deviates greatly from" so that it would sound less edgelord.
Last edited by Rei IV on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: A decade has gone by since the first Rebuild film (Jo)....

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:22 am

"Gives the finger to the original narrative"? Framing things that way makes it sound like the new movies are try-hard edgelords.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 am

Don't you agree that some ardent apologists for the original might think that way?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:20 am

I think it'd be pretty difficult to make anything edgier than NGE, no? (Well, not without seriously going off the deep end.)
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:28 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Don't you agree that some ardent apologists for the original might think that way?

Why would I agree? What "ardent apologists"? Where? What does this have to do with Rei IV's comment?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:56 am

Despite some glaring flaws and issues, I find Evangelion films to be solid and well made and I love that it pretty much gives the finger to the original narrative and stresses that This Is (Not) The Eva You Know.

Howso? Eva 1.11 is pretty much functionally Identical to the first six episodes of the original series, (right down to the infamous underwear drawer scene my parents gave me a lecture about). Save some minor tweaks like the sea being blood and the existence of Lilith being public knowledge it's pretty much identical to the original series. I don't understand what you mean by this. If anything, it didn't throw us into the territory of 'this will be different from the series' until 2.22.

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:I think it'd be pretty difficult to make anything edgier than NGE, no? (Well, not without seriously going off the deep end.)

Nothings going to be able to top the Hospital Room Scene in terms of messed up. I mean, I guess Anno could go REALLY dark and have something truly unspeakable happen to Shinji, despite my concerns over Final I don't think I have to Worry about anything that dark.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:45 am

View Original PostRay wrote:... the existence of Lilith being public knowledge it's pretty much identical to the original series.

Well, it isn't actually public knowledge, as Shinji doesn't know. The lowest-ranking person who knows about Lilith (as far as we know) is Misato.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:04 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Howso? Eva 1.11 is pretty much functionally Identical to the first six episodes of the original series, (right down to the infamous underwear drawer scene my parents gave me a lecture about). Save some minor tweaks like the sea being blood and the existence of Lilith being public knowledge it's pretty much identical to the original series. I don't understand what you mean by this. If anything, it didn't throw us into the territory of 'this will be different from the series' until 2.22.

:uhh:

Evangelion 1.0 is just the exception though as the rest of the movies have greatly deviated from the original Evangelion series. Not too sure what you didn't understand about my comment of the movies "giving the finger" the the original narrative in NGE.

Reichu wrote:"Gives the finger to the original narrative"? Framing things that way makes it sound like the new movies are try-hard edgelords.

Poor choices of words, I admit. Perhaps I should've used "greatly deviates from" or "subverts" the original series.

:facepalm:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:31 pm

This quadrilogy has given us 3.0, which is one of the best things in the entire franchise
SPOILER: Show
and if you disagree you are objectively wrong

I'm excited for its conclusion.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:35 pm

I composed some thoughts on how ten years have passed on my site, it turned out quite nicely, and is worth a read:

http://www.evamonkey.com/ten-years-have ... elion-1-0/

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:26 pm

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:I think it'd be pretty difficult to make anything edgier than NGE, no? (Well, not without seriously going off the deep end.)

I would like to introduce you to an anime that's called Code Geass Lelouch. :shifty:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:48 pm

...and in that time we've advanced the commentary by 2.5 episodes. At this rate, if we include EoE as 2 episodes, the commentary will complete around the time of EoE's centenary.

Otherwise I have nothing to add that I haven't already said over that span.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I would like to introduce you to an anime that's called Code Geass Lelouch. :shifty:
I was thinking Re:Zero myself, but the principle is the same.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:21 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I would like to introduce you to an anime that's called Code Geass Lelouch. :shifty:

Wait... I've seen Code Geass. I'm quite a fan of the show, and am in fact in the process of making an audio fanfic based on the series.

In what way is CG edgier than Evangelion?
Last edited by imprimatur13 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 am

I already posted a link to a blog post with my thoughts about this, however I have since revised it a few times, and I also adapted it into a video.

So, if you enjoy listening to me ramble about Eva:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGgbOLEW4gk

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:53 am

It's kind of difficult to think about how large a space of time has passed between the first and final film coming in 2020, but what's even crazier is remembering that this started way back in the 90s dude
I do love me some Rei guns.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”