Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Kara no Kyoukai

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Really awesome set of 7 movies by Type-Moon.

Movie 1 Recommendation
Movie 5 Recommendation (IMO the best one)

Reason why I'm starting a dedicated thread is because this bit of news came up: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-26/kara-no-kyoukai-gets-new-final-chapter-on-blu-ray

ANN wrote:The official website of the Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners film franchise has announced at midnight on Friday that a Blu-ray Disc Box will ship with an all-new final chapter and English as well as Japanese subtitles. The final chapter is simply titled "Gekijō-ban Kara no Kyoukai Shūshō: Kara no Kyoukai" and runs about 30 minutes in length.

The box will ship in Japan with the seven theatrical films, the 60-minute edited Remix -Gate of seventh heaven- compilation of the first six films, the 51-minute special program, and the new final chapter on February 2, 2011. The box will also bundle a Visual Chronicle Book with all the key visual art, the illustrations for each film, and the illustrations for the DVD releases. All the video content will be in 1080p resolution with 24-bit Linear PCM audio except the special program. The box will retail at 52,500 yen (about US$620) with tax included.

First of all, it's got English subtitles so I'm going to try to import it, and it has a bunch of extras that don't seem like much besides compilations or recaps. But the 30 minute "new ending" could be interesting, although I think I feel that it's kind of unneeded seens as how well movie 7 ended.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Kara no Kyoukai was fantastic series and one of the best I've ever seen (apart from film 5 and 7 it's hard for me to handle them as individual films though).

I'm just afraid of the price. Knowing that THIS IS Japan it's propably going to be hundreds of dollars...

if the price is passable I'll get that box. If not, well... ;__;

I too wonder wtf they're going to do with "new ending" - ep 7's end is conclusive as it is

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:06 pm

These films were amazing, but I don't have $620 + import fees to blow on eight movies. :(

I'll continue to hold hope for a Western licensing.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 pm

I've only just finished episode 5, but holy shit this series is awesome. I can't wait until the inevitable PC port/Mirror Moon translation of Melty Blood: Actress Again, simply for the chance to play as Ryougi Shiki in one of my favorite fighting series.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:35 pm

This may be the next series I watch. I'm apprehensive to read the recommendations cuz I don't like even remote spoilage - even along the lines of reading the back of the dvd cover. I do want to know wot aww tae fuss be aboot, though.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Kara no Kyoukai

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Good thing I checked to see there was a pre-existing thread on this series. I watched the series a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it immensely, and thought I'd just share a thought I had on it.

SPOILER: Show
The example of the 3 shiki can be displayed in a diagram as such:

:::<|>:::

Where < is male shiki, > is female, and | is Void. The : represent the outside world; humanity in general, or Kokutou in particular. Within this conceptual diagram, of male and female surrounding void, and the outside surrounding male and female, we can make two analogies, the first to that of a relationship paradigm between 2 individual human beings, and the second to a relationship paradigm between an individual human being and the world as a whole.

Two people who wish to become close need to establish a boundary between each other, in order for them to coexist. Mikiya says something to this effect, when he says that people spend their lives trying to close the barriers of emptiness between them. In this wise, this can be likened to Void Shiki, who acts as a barrier between Shiki and SHIKI, so that they can coexist (as she says explicitly). She is a boundary of emptiness (as the title of the series suggests), surrounding emptiness.

On the other hand (the second analogy), there is the fact that Void is surrounded, and protected from the outside world, by Shiki and SHIKI. In this way, Shiki holds an analogy to an individual human being, as opposed to the general world outside/humanity (which is a distinct, collective entity from the individual humans which comprise it), in which an individual needs to create boundaries, and personas, with which to interact with the outside world as a whole. And indeed, the personae can be multilayered, so that you can have theoretically infinite layers of persona upon persona upon persona, all built upon the foundational true self. Each of which functioning as an additional layer to protect the self from the outside. This true self is both equivalent to, and wholly different from, the personae stacked atop it.

This is comparable to what Void Shiki did, how she created Shiki and SHIKI as proxies/intermediaries by use of whom she may interact with the world. As Void says regarding the Root; that she is a part of the root, and connected to it, so that means she IS it. The Spiral of the Root is a place where there is everything, and therefore, nothing.

So it is actually quite impressive, how with that simple relationship as diagrammed above, Nasu manages to create 2 entirely different models of the human condition. Economically speaking.

(The above was almost certainly influenced by Anno's portrayal of the Hedgehog's Dilemma, judging from the influence NGE had on Kinoko Nasu, as well as the shared theme of protection from the outside while allowing an indirect/limited intimacy which the individual judges as not too potentially harmful.)
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:05 am

So I was gifted this boxset for Christmas last month since everyone that knows me knows I'm a huge Fate nerd and I've been wanting to get into the rest of Type-Moon content. I really, really liked all the movies except the last one. The Epilogue felt incredibly weak and was kind of waiting for it to just get itself over with so I could put on something else.

I'm also a bit annoyed that Recalled Out Summer is not only not included but is now out of stock, I can't find an Aniplex release of it anywhere online, even Ebay is sketchy and only seems to have the Japanese release which I'm not particularly interested in.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:So I was gifted this boxset for Christmas last month since everyone that knows me knows I'm a huge Fate nerd and I've been wanting to get into the rest of Type-Moon content. I really, really liked all the movies except the last one. The Epilogue felt incredibly weak and was kind of waiting for it to just get itself over with so I could put on something else.

I'm also a bit annoyed that Recalled Out Summer is not only not included but is now out of stock, I can't find an Aniplex release of it anywhere online, even Ebay is sketchy and only seems to have the Japanese release which I'm not particularly interested in.
You can watch Recalled Out Summer on Crunchy Roll FWIW. They have all of KnK on there, I think.

But yeah the Epilogue is a bit whatever. I did like Recalled Out Summer better though.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:You can watch Recalled Out Summer on Crunchy Roll FWIW. They have all of KnK on there, I think.

But yeah the Epilogue is a bit whatever. I did like Recalled Out Summer better though.

Holy shit thank you. I did not know this.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:07 am

TheFriskyIan wrote:So I was gifted this boxset for Christmas last month since everyone that knows me knows I'm a huge Fate nerd and I've been wanting to get into the rest of Type-Moon content. I really, really liked all the movies except the last one. The Epilogue felt incredibly weak and was kind of waiting for it to just get itself over with so I could put on something else.

I congratulate you on seeing an important part of the Nasuverse! (Also, that's quite a gift!)

The epilogue is definitely different from the rest of it.

Have you considered other Type-Moon content, like Tsukihime, or Angel Notes?
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Return to “Anime and Manga”