Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mankar
Embryo

Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Mankar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 pm

So, I just finished watching Evangelion and EoE in 2 days and I absolutely loved it, its amazing. However, for the next few days till now, I'm feeling very I want to say anxious or just over bad or pensive from watching the show. I still love it but it just makes me feel bad or anxious, I don't know what it is and I'm starting to get obsessed with the show because I'm telling everyone about it hoping it'll fix me. Does anyone else have any similar experience? I feel as if it's only because I'm young that this show has effected me this much.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 am

You are not alone, though the strength of people's reactions depends a lot on their life circumstances. The important thing is to realise that the endings (both the series and the End of Evangelion film) are , even if it's not fully spelt out, optimistic. Shinji has discovered in the end that he can make a move forward by his own efforts. We aren't shown where this will take him, or how hard it might still be for him, because we are each intended to find out ourselves what the future holds.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mankar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mankar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You are not alone, though the strength of people's reactions depends a lot on their life circumstances. The important thing is to realise that the endings (both the series and the End of Evangelion film) are , even if it's not fully spelt out, optimistic. Shinji has discovered in the end that he can make a move forward by his own efforts. We aren't shown where this will take him, or how hard it might still be for him, because we are each intended to find out ourselves what the future holds.
I realize this and I love the ending how it basically shows us how there's always hope but there's something about it that feels off I guess and that might be why I feel this way, but I have no idea :um:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 am

Anno is very clear that it is not for him to give you an answer, though. In the end, the best lessons are those you are able to learn for yourself; Evengelion may offer a pointer and a hint as to a direction you might benefit from looking in.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mankar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mankar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Anno is very clear that it is not for him to give you an answer, though. In the end, the best lessons are those you are able to learn for yourself; Evengelion may offer a pointer and a hint as to a direction you might benefit from looking in.
true, I feel like it tells me more about who I am with the interpretations I'm able to come up with and that jut subconsciously scares me but I'm still unsure. Right now, I probably won't notice it until I'm a bit older when I can actually reflect on my younger self and see what certain pieces of art have done for/to me. but until then lets hope I'm not traumatized for life :tongue:

Blockio
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 pm

I myself have experienced it as pretty much the opposite, however I know for a fact that I somewhat traumatised a friend I watched it with. Granted, as a first ever anime in one sitting overnight may not have been the smartest idea in hindsight, but eh.
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

Mankar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mankar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I myself have experienced it as pretty much the opposite, however I know for a fact that I somewhat traumatized a friend I watched it with. Granted, as a first ever anime in one sitting overnight may not have been the smartest idea in hindsight, but eh.
haha, honestly I don't know what it is but I'm guessing its traumatization cause i literally cant stop thinking about it and feeling weird/bad about it.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”