Behind Asuka's Eyepatch (Purely Speculation)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Behind Asuka's Eyepatch (Purely Speculation)

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I chalk this up mainly to a dream I had last night and speculation on whether or not this might come true.

I have this theory now that Asuka has literally a white nothingness behind her eyepatch much like for example the taxi driver from Home Alone 2. Let me explain, I know that during moments of emotion it glows and shows a blue retina but I think that's only during those times or perhaps I need to watch the movie again. I gather that in Final, Shinji might have a moment of confronting Asuka and he accidentally rips the eyepatch out and Asuka shows that she has the absence of anything behind what used to be a perfectly working eye. Again purely speculation and a dream I had but worth talking about.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Behind Asuka's Eyepatch (Purely Speculation)

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:31 pm

One thing we know is that the eyepatch has angel-sealing glyphs on it, so it is reasonable to assume some level of known or suspected remaining angelic contamination.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Right because I do remember in my dream the word "contamination" being repeated throughout Shinji and Asuka's confrontation as well as the eye glowing blue which is the color pattern of the Angels.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Asuka's visible iris glows while beast mode is active, so presumably the blue glow beneath the eyepatch is the other still-intact iris similarly glowing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am

It glows when she calls Shinji a brat for the first time too.
So I think the implication is the glow is somehow linked to emotion.
I don't know what the eyepatch is symbolizing in the bigger picture though, other than her being a worn warrior.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 pm

It's very likely that Asuka's glowing left eye is related to the 9th angel incident, but didn't Ritsuko state that all physical damage is gone but the angel may have infiltrated in her mind? And It seems that Asuka's left eye glows when she's experiencing negative/extreme emotions and her eyepatch has angel sealing hex glyphs like Shinji's collar, as if it was supressing whatever is behind that eyepatch. I have 2 hypothesis:

A) Bardiel isn't really dead, it lives in Asuka's mind and threatens to take over
B) The eyepatch is to keep Asuka from losing control and turning into an Angel

We'll have to wait 2 years to truly know what's going on with Asuka's left eye.
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”