Steven Universe general

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Steven Universe general

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I do hope that is the simple answer as to why they have released such an underwhelming amount of content over the past year.

The Crewniverse has stated numerous times that airing SU episodes = mercy of Cartoon Network...My understanding is this is all CN's scheduling (or lackthereof, in this case). They gotta air nothing but Teen Titans Go! since the kids eat that show up :tongue: To be fair, it's hilarious from what I've seen, but nearly nothing but that and Gumball on their schedule, day after day? Ugh.

In case I didn't mention it in an earlier post, the Ruby Rider song was recorded back in September 2017 while the episode didn't air until the start of July, so....yeah. We already have (assumed) episode title leaks for the next 3 episodes if you check out r/SUleaks (obviously spoiler-heavy), but shit definitely sucks :uhh:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Wait, has the next episode (after 'reunited') aired? If not, is there a release date?

One of the SU articles on gizmodo basically spoiled the overarching plot of the next few episodes without mentioning that there would be spoilers in the article so I'm pretty pissed. I would've been fine with just "SU movie coming out soon".
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Yep, "Legs From Here to Homeworld" (which is after "Reunited") is up on the Cartoon Network app as of yesterday. It aired at SDCC this week so it's pretty nice how they posted it so quickly. I haven't heard anything about it airing on TV eventually, though.

I hate how there's no consideration for keeping fans spoiler-free these days, with how social media and clickbait articles do. It's pretty shitty. (Speaking of, I RTed a spoiler fanart on Twitter since my TL devours the new episodes almost immediately, so tread carefully :sweatdrop: )

Edit: Speaking of, I think fans have already theorized to heck and back (like, months ago) about these uber spoilers, but whoa :jawdrop: The Japanese tweet reads something like "I just don't know anymore". (lol)

Related to the latest episode!!  SPOILER: Show

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Holy crap. Just watched "legs from here to homeworld" and it's getting bonkers. This would be the perfect time to announce another protracted hiatus to devastate the maximum number of fans.

@SSD: Holy crap that twitter post.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Right?? Also: I'm sure the devastation is just around the corner :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

FINALLY on December 17th the hiatus will be over. Hasn't this been the longest one yet?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 pm

The epic hour long episode Change Your Mind sure delivered on a lot of promise. It was a bit rushed at times and did a little too much but as a longtime fan of the series I couldn’t really complain when the high points were so high and so much of the episode appeared to be animated on 1’s. It was a visually glorious episode of animated TV! I would certainly say the episode is a highlight of the series so far. It’s a phenomenally overstuffed - some story & character bits don’t land as much as they should in my eyes because so much happens so quick but the stuff that lands LANDS - hour of SU.

So many plot lines and characters arches were wrapped up:

SPOILER: Show
White Diamond has seen the error of her ways. The three Diamonds have essentially turned a corner and become good. The Diamondriachy will apparently become benevolent. Steven has made peace with his past regarding his mother and this was visualized when White pulled Steven’s gem expecting Pink and all that was there was Steven. Steven embraced who he was - in a shot animated by the legendary James Baxter I think? - and has no more doubts on who he is or his past in regards to all the storylines set up in the past 150 or so episodes. All the Gem Fusions fans have been anxiously dying to see - besides whatever legend the series MVP’s Lapis & Peridot would make - were rushed through and given quick cameos in like the ultimate fanservice scene imaginable. Lars & the Off-Colors have made it back to Earth. Sadie & Lars have embraced who they are. All of the Corrupted Gems have been cured and brought back to life. The Gems have all wrapped up their own arches and made peace. Steven is happy. Etc

In fact so much was done in Change Your Mind that I really don’t even know where the show is supposed to go next. Essentially every important storyline that the series has dealt with since the 1st Episode that I can think of was wrapped up. It doesn’t feel like a Season Finale but feels like an Absolute SERIES FINALE.

But it isn’t. Cartoon Network has already set a Steven Universe TV movie for a Fall premiere date. Some of the voice actresses have mentioned on social media they’ve been doing voice work for a sixth season and Rebecca Sugar is still working on the series. Soooooo they’ve got something planned. Just no idea what in the world it could be. 2019 should be an interesting time for the series. I have to assume whatever the Fall TV Movie is about will act as a start of the new main narrative perhaps.

Hell, maybe they’ll go full anime and:

Do a major time jump. The Gems will stay the same age but they can age up Steven, Connie and the other humans. Steven’s voice actor is in early 20s now and still voicing a squeaky voiced kid.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:55 pm

I agree with GP. For as fuckin amazing as CYM was, I feel like the crew took on too much and realized too late that they couldn't do what they wanted. Like, everything past the point where
the original Crystal Gems enter inside White's head
everything felt really rushed. Specifically White's
change of mind and the ending.
The epilogue was fine, very chill, a great way to nicely wrap up the main *MAIN* arc of the series, but what preceded it was just kinda lame.
I can't be the only one who isn't fully convinced that White is fine with all this. There's no way Steven's little spiel and White becoming temporarily Off-Colour was enough to permanently sway her. I'm not sure if this is a real pacing issue, or if they're gonna do a Ramses ass "lol nope changed my mind" and have White come back to fuck shit up again
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Eh. I've made peace with the idea the general narrative of SU will always be kinda rushed.
I liked all the stuff you mentioned not liking though because I've made pease with the idea the show is 100% about empathy. If the cure for all problems in Dragonball is punches followed by Bro-ship then all problems in SU are solved by hugs and love. Unless they're really going to change things up thematically with the next season* I feel all future villains will be cured with the power of empathy.

*They could though. Rebecca Sugar & team have set themselves in a pretty genius to do whatever they want - within CN's broadcast standards - and I'm curious to see what they do next. SU has always been pretty thematically deep in what it deals with while going about it through a very child-friendly way. While that has had some problems in this later arch (it works emotionally to frame the Diamonds as just a broken family splintered by the loss of a loved one BUT they're still dictators who have enslaved billions, that's something the show had to avoid dealing with directly in the final acts because no amount of cute blushes & hugs make committing genocides forgivable) overall the show has been successful in dealing with prejudices and the like. What the show hasn't dealt with directly is outright racism. They've dealt with foolish prejudices and the idea that someone just needs to learn why someone is different to understand and accept them. What the show hasn't deal with is people who know entirely why someone else is different from them and hate them because of that. Could be an interesting avenue for the show to purse and if they did I'm sure they'd find the right family-friendly way to deal with the issue like they have all the other gender issues the show has dealt with so far.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Poster for the Movie.

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1148653291473186817

Is it just me or does Steven look a little taller and a little older. Could just be the way the poster was drawn but he even has a neck. Probable timeskip and he'll be a little older for whatever the future seasons deal with?

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:35 pm

So..... has anyone seen the movie? Those who have seen it, any thoughts on it?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm

The movie was decent, but didn't add any plot to the show other than demonstrating how awful a certain character was in how she treated her friend(s)...which we already knew from the series. Major oof.

I haven't checked out Future yet. I guess it's only 10 episodes long, or what?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Yeah, the movie was kind of a miss for me. It didn't leave much of an impression.

I'm caught up on Future and I have a hard time imagining how they'll wrap it up in a mere four more episodes. There ARE exactly four things in the opening left that haven't appeared yet, and two of those seem like they'll feature in the next two episodes, but still... I'm not ready for it to be over forever. :spout:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:48 pm

I felt the movie drastically improved on the ending of the show proper which I have major issues with. Making Spinel the big baddie who actually is driven by intense anger and sadness was a much more cathartic story than what the show did. Spinel doing one terrible thing driven by her emotions and then attaining forgiveness and a new life was more earned than the Diamonds getting "fixed". My big issue is that while I love the show's message of kindness and forgiveness that whole theme gets muddled when the show ends with the Diamonds - dictators who have ruled over the universe for eons and certainly have killed billions of sentient lifeforms across the stars - being completely forgiven for the pain they've caused because, you know, they just had to work out their family issues. For a children's show that has wonderfully dealt with so many issues with a real sense of empathy and maturity I felt it was the one area where the writers overstepped and couldn't deal with appropriately due to the nature of it being a kids show. At a certain point if someone has committed awful atrocities on a massive scale while it is possible to understand where they're coming from emotionally it doesn't mean they should be afforded forgiveness. The super quick turnaround of the Diamonds from Terrifying Warlords/Conquerors to Sweet Grandmothers felt unearned & wrong.
But that's just me.

Great series nonetheless.

I'm enjoying Future but aside from the excellent Volleyball episode this mini-series sure feels like a final barrage of earned fan-service. Just a chance for the writers to do some quick fun stories - Steven & Jasper sorta become friends, Steven meets real Rose Quartzes, more time with the new Fusions - that fans wanted to see that the writers couldn't have naturally worked into the larger series storyline.

Return to “Film and Video”