Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:48 pm

What about the budget? Do you think that $25 million figure might be accurate?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:24 am

Possible. Advances in technology surely have made the stop-motion animation process move at a much faster rate which would involve paying animators for fewer days. I imagine 3D printing also would help keep down costs since they could replicate things they needed for the film instead of making each by hand.

But can't say for sure. Budgets in the professional film world are always a strongly held onto secret. More often than not the "official" announced budget of a movie is dramatically low-balled (that's production only, studios never include the marketing cost in their official budgets and those are almost always equal to or larger than the official production budget) so the profit margin - if there is one - seems larger than it is and everyone involved gets bragging rights.

Basically, $25 million sounds about right. No way to confirm. But it sounds practical.

Blockio
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am

I watched Appleseed last thursday for the first time in almost ten years, and damn that movie looks good for being almost one and a half decade old. Also, the first Avengers movie straightup stole a scene from it, lol.
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

FrDougal9000
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:50 am

I watched a pair of films in the last few days, and I want to get back into writing for a couple of things I'd like to work on, so I'm gonna use this post to try and get back into the writing groove. Here goes...

The Birds (1963), dir. Alfred Hitchcock

Despite having heard of Hitchcock and seen references to it throughout my life, and my growing interest in film over the last three or so years, I've only watched two of his films - Vertigo, and Juno and the Paycock - and both of them were for classes. I don't know what it is; maybe it's the expectation of seeing a film made by someone often proclaimed to be one of, if not THE, greatest in all of film-making; but I found myself pretty bored by those two films. And as much as it annoys me to say it, The Birds has pretty much the same effect on me.

It's not that it's a bad movie. It's not: it's a film that clearly knows what it's doing, by the way everything is paced and put together. I imagine it makes a damn good thriller, but I think my problem with the film is that it was trying to appeal to a fear or emotion that I don't have (not yet, at least). I'm not scared of birds, nor have I ever been put in a situation where I would end up being harmed by them. To be fair, this isn't really a flaw with the film itself, but more just my lack of ability to truly engage with it on its own terms - if nothing else, compare it to how people who have never had emotional issues find the cast of Evangelion to be needlessly whiny, because they have no cause or reason to get what those characters are going through.

As a contrast, I'm utterly terrified of the dogs that chase you in the game Inside, and a big cause for that is that I have a fear of being relentless chased with no way of defending myself - and a fear I had of the dogs from Chicken Run and those old Tomb Raider Lucozade ads when I was a kid. Those chase sequences in Inside struck a feeling that I hadn't felt in a long time, and resulted in some of the tensest experiences I've ever had playing a game. I can only assume that The Birds was meant to resonate in a similar manner, but it just didn't happen for me.

I do have a personal theory as to why, but it's just a theory. See, The Birds was based on a short story by Daphne du Maurier, who also wrote Don't Look Now - another short story that was adapted into a very good 1973 film by Nicolas Roeg. Don't Look Now concerns the plight of a couple trying to move on from the death of their daughter, and one of the film's major themes is about trying to deal with the loss of a close one. Every character in that film with a speaking role brings up the fact that they've lost somebody, and it plays a part in the melancholy felt throughout the film. However, I can only process that idea on an intellectual level, since I've been lucky enough to have not lost someone close.

So I can't help but wonder if my issue with The Birds has its roots in the source material; that du Maurier has a knack for writing stories that appeal to very particular emotions that can otherwise be alienating to people who haven't experienced those emotions. (Though that does become a bit of an issue when I can still appreciate Don't Look Now as a film despite parts of it not resonating with me - I guess I just prefer how that film was constructed in terms of film-making to Hitchcock's film.)

Maybe. Or not. But The Birds just didn't engage me, and that sucks.

---

Pitch Black (2000), dir. David Twohy

Despite knowing a decent bit about the Chronicles of Riddick series (mainly that Peter Chung directed an animated film, and that Vin Diesel loves playing the character so much that he often finances the films himself IIRC), I've never sat down and watched any of them. But my brother was visiting yesterday, and suggested we watch it on Netflix, and so we did. I don't have as much to say about Pitch Black other than that it's a pretty good thriller with some playfulness, solid if minimalist characterization, and an overall good handle of tension.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Gus Hanson
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018)

Loved it! Dracula and Ericka's romance was the most adorable development in the film and if I had to make just the teeniest tiniest nitpick is that Johnny who was a well developed character in the first two films seems to have been downgraded to an exposition magnet only there to say important stuff when the moment requires it.
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

Blockio
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

I rewatched Pacific Rim the other day, and am very pleased to see that
a) the film is still great the second time and
b) the German dub is almost as good as the original English one (apart from a couple of lines that simply don't have the same impact)
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:21 am

Mission: Impossible - Fallout!

Best movie of the summer & best action film since FURY ROAD. Stop seeing dumb comic book movies and see what real movie magic is when you let a team of filmmakers really go all out creatively!

SawItAtAge10
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 am

I rewatched SW: TLJ.

People should reeeeaaalllly stop hating it on it already...sheesh...I mean, the very vocal group who calls Rey a "Mary Sue" don't seem to have a general grasp of literary tropes except for this that keep parroting over and over again..It's getting exhausting.

But, let's play Devil's Advocate and say "Rey is too perfect." Okay, well it is a kid's movie and it is owned by Disney. But's let's make a comparative analysis:

The Original Trilogy gave us:

Obi Wan - is an old many with seemingly random powers and never does wrong - even sacrificing himself to solidify his saintly status...Seems very Gary Stu-like

Luke - A simple farm boy with no training - A happy go lucky character without an ounce of the kind of depth that comes along with a moral conflict or struggle of some kind - Also seems very Gary Stu-Like.

Leia - A "powerful/willful" female character - Except that she's little more than a plot device that gets Luke's blood flowing and excited for an adventure. She gets captured and sparks the others to come rescue her. She never lives up to how "bad ass" she's supposed to be and doesn't very much sans deliveirng the DS plans.

Han - He's actually the only character who does undergo character development- going from apathetic gunslinger to someone who cares about a cause and he even saves the day at the end.

-------------- POINT BEING---------------

If these vocal personalities were around in 1977, I suspect they'd rip apart these moves based on the same merits that they do in the present.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Return to “Film and Video”