Release Theory based on Merchandise

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Release Theory based on Merchandise

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:47 pm

First of all, this entire post is speculation and (to my knowledge), nothing has been confirmed by anybody, so take it with more than just a grain of salt.
Now on to the actual topic.

I dont have any statistics on merch releases, so this is just personal observation, but I have noticed a trend recently (or at least I think I have): The overall amount of Eva merch released seems to be increasing, but there is a significant lack of figures of the Units relative to the rest. There are a lot of other possible explanations for this, but to me it feels like Khara is giving out merchandising licenses more freely to build up some hype, while the modeling companies are holding back on figure releases to save up their ressources for the new Units we will see in FINAL
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Release Theory based on Merchandise

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 am

I choose to believe this.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:34 am

You have a point. I’ve seen way more Eva merchandise in the nearest anime store lately.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Is this mirrored in the Japanese market? It could also just be more Western stores wising up to the spending habits of the non-Japanese Eva fandom and increasing stock accordingly.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:42 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Is this mirrored in the Japanese market? It could also just be more Western stores wising up to the spending habits of the non-Japanese Eva fandom and increasing stock accordingly.

I would have to further look into that one, but at least for the figures it is definitely true
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon May 07, 2018 1:38 pm

This isn't normal? I thought having like 10 character figures for every 1 Evangelion Unit model was just a thing, just part of the marketing side of Eva and that side's obsession with the female characters and selling merch of them, the same side of Eva that created all those shitty slice of life spinoffs and dating sims and motherfucking Petit Eva @ School.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Ambiant23 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:46 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote: Petit Eva @ School.

Never speak that name in this household

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 08, 2018 6:40 pm

I, for one, love Petit Eva @ School. Though, the first half of the shorts are much better than the last half.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue May 08, 2018 9:37 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I, for one, love Petit Eva @ School. Though, the first half of the shorts are much better than the last half.

Part 2 got way too surreal and the models were a lot uglier.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Is this mirrored in the Japanese market? It could also just be more Western stores wising up to the spending habits of the non-Japanese Eva fandom and increasing stock accordingly.

I would think so. The Evas don't have as many options for variants or new looks as the human characters do so you would think eventually demand would dry up when the primary option is re-releases of the same Revoltech figures that aren't particularly cheap.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:First of all, this entire post is speculation and (to my knowledge), nothing has been confirmed by anybody, so take it with more than just a grain of salt.
Now on to the actual topic.

I dont have any statistics on merch releases, so this is just personal observation, but I have noticed a trend recently (or at least I think I have): The overall amount of Eva merch released seems to be increasing, but there is a significant lack of figures of the Units relative to the rest. There are a lot of other possible explanations for this, but to me it feels like Khara is giving out merchandising licenses more freely to build up some hype, while the modeling companies are holding back on figure releases to save up their ressources for the new Units we will see in FINAL

nope, they are just milking eva as always becouse they now have to pay for the movies.also call me when max factory makes a figure of the ACTUAL protagonist of the series to close the set !!!!
ANATA BAKA !?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:08 am

Bumping this was unnecessary...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”