Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:14 am

Trigger's Elysium wrote:
soljerameelguy wrote:Then I guess I'll keep reading the hellsing manga...again,and again....and again... :cry:

Do that instead. Because the Hellsing manga is awesome, and the Elfen Lied manga is not.

HELL YEAH! though there should be a hellsing manga thread :(
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Elfen Lied: Manga

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Back in the days of my stupid childhood self, I loved Elfen lied..So much. I used to think it was the best manga/anime written on the planet, and that's nothing could surpass it's darkness, psychology, message and smarteness...WHAT A MORON I WAS! :facepalm:

First of all, all fictions (ok maybe not all of them.) have some deep messages, just because blood and violence don't splatter at every corner of screen and the decor setting might be of young girls, sunshine, rainbow, ribbon, power and friendship and love and glitter do not mean that's a fiction even like this can't have something deep to say (ex : Shugo Chara -manga version- how to find you'r true self-, mew mew power -ecological message-, Sugar sugar rune -How to equilibrate things well betweend friendship and love, and differenciating it from lust...Do I need to continue?)

Anyway, all this tangent, to say, recently I came back to Elfen lied manga (begin of October?..) I read it, and oh my fricking EVA!!, it's so cringeworthy!

The drawings are, eeew, the characters not deep and one dimensional, they're all only cute puchebags serving to drama melancholic backstory, otherwise, they're are reaallyyy clumsy, stupids, morons, egoisticall, selfish, superficial and boring, and hollow as heck! + the backstory and the among of nudity of all the youngs girls in supplementary of the girl having a diaper and pissing herself off seemed just off of a deep weird fetish that's I rather not know, the mangaka Lynn have. The characters have much deepness as the ones of Love Hina! Even Lucy :crazytwirl:

I would have understand the hype and worshipness surrounding Elfen Lied years ago, after all I came from here too, but now it's not anymore for me...

...But, despite all the mean things I say, I really love the anime very very much. The story, characters, music, graphism are much much better. Still a bit cringeworthy because it's Elfen lied, but much much better than it's material source.
Ban me forever.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:28 am

Elfen Lied I always felt was an in the moment piece of media in that everyone loved it on landing even I did until I did a rewatch years later and realized how awful it was and that it had not stood the test of time and felt no desire to seek out the manga. Though this is something I've noticed not just in Elfen Lied which is violent media unless it has a very good point to make or handles and unpack hard topics well, does not stand the test of time and slips of the radar and into obscurity.

I do agree though that Hellsing manga is good as I have read that cover to cover and its still good on reread as Seras Victoria's arc to me was brilliant along with the final showdown and I'm glad the rebooted the new anime is way closer to the manga.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:54 am

happy to not be the only one with this impression, then! Altough I mainly criticise the paper version, not the anime that's I love :heart:
Ban me forever.

Return to “Anime and Manga”