Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm

It's funny. Since I don't give two fucks about the mythology of Star Wars I'm able to treat the films as actual narratives and not part of some large neverending universe that I've grown up with. And while I've certainly been aware of who these characters are and have seen the original films they were never a founding element of my childhood that I latched onto throughout the years. Maybe because of this I find Luke's arch in The Last Jedi to be kind of perfect, wonderfully executed and allows Mark Hamill to give the first truly phenomenal performance of his career removed from voicework. I personally find it and his stellar actions in the third act are some of the most memorable in the series - he achieves arguably the most badass moment of the franchise to date and does so without taking a life, a truly epic moment of pacifism & easily the most Jedi thing in the series where they usually kill first & ask questions later - and it helps me respect and think about Luke more as a fully rounded character.

It's certainly superior to what they did with Han Solo in The Force Awakens.

But again, my connection to Luke the character is just that - he's a character.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:20 pm

The rejection of violence thing was done already. It’s not as much of a retread as a really big Death Star, but it’s still a retread.

The same idea was already done with more elegance in a better movie.

More importantly, I just realized something.

The Death Star in *Jedi* is bigger than the one in the first movie. So not only is the stupid thing in TFA a retread, *making it bigger* is also a retread. JJs movies are like the fractal form of being derivative.

Fuck I just realized that he made the bad guy starship in *Star Trek 2: Not Star Trek II* a bigger Enterprise, but black so you know it’s evil. He’s gone beyond ripping off himself to rip off the technique by which he rips off himself.

Fifty bucks says that Episode IX has a weaponized star in it. The *ultimate* Death Star! Muahahaha!
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

Return to “Film and Video”