Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Been a long time since I watched the Rami films. Was kinda indifferent to them. Never seen the Garfield films (despite liking the look & tone of the trailers for ASM1 a lot & The Lizard being among my favorite Marvel villains)
Meant to watch them all before seeing Homecoming & Infinity War but time got away from me so I skipped them for now.

Spider-Man - Homecoming (2017)
- Liked a lot more then I expected. This may change when I get around to re watching them but right now I like it more then any of the Rami films. Absolutely like Holland more then Maguire.
- None of the high school stuff was awkward or grating as I feared.
- Vulture wasn't quite as sympathetic as I had been led to believe but still solid. Didn't like him murdering the 1st Shocker.

Avengers - Infinity War (2018)
- Brolin & Hemsworth were acting their asses off in this, like damn.
- Very pleased with how much screentime & big moments Thor got. Loved the entire forge sequence.
- CGI for the Wakanda battle scenes were much better then those from Panther's stand alone film.
- The Russos juggling of characters & making sure they all feel like they get their fair screen time remains astonishing. Cap is the only big name character who feels like he should have got a bit more.
- As a big fan of Hickman's Avengers run which birthed them I appreciated the use of the Black Order, Maw in particular works well, his voice seemed out of place at first but grew on me a lot.

Some nitpicks...
- Wish Thor kept the eyepatch.
- Loved Hulk getting his ass kicked but him being afraid to come out was a bit much.
- Midnight & Corvus were defeated a bit too easily in the train station. Widow/Falcon shouldn't stand a chance against them. (In the comics Proxima strangled Zarda a Wonder Woman analogue to death with her bare hands, Corvus sliced open Hyperion's shoulder & together they brought the Hulk to his knees)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 pm

SHAZAM!  SPOILER: Show
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am

Aquaman Den of Geek cover revealing more of the cast...
SPOILER: Show

Looking great.

Kate Kane / Batwoman (possibly my favorite female comic character) is getting her own TV show............................. on the CW :deskbang: :raincloud:

She deserves so much better then what they can offer. She should be getting the Netflix Daredevil Season 1 treatment.

The official description of the series mentions nothing about the prevelant supernatural aspects of her books which would have been a great way to differentiate this series from Flash, Arrow, Supergirl & Gotham & maybe put it more in line with the Constantine series.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm

I’m expecting Thor 3 levels of atmosphere and character building out of Aquaman, or it can just not even bother.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:32 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:The official description of the series mentions nothing about the prevelant supernatural aspects of her books which would have been a great way to differentiate this series from Flash, Arrow, Supergirl & Gotham & maybe put it more in line with the Constantine series.

I have to agree with that plus there hamming up hey look we are gonna give you, your first gay lead (Like ignoring that Xena existed way before this and she was bi) or that Lost Girl tried to do this and failed because it became to much about fan service and not about characters. Like if CW can pull this off I will be impressed but time and time again a gay/bi lead falls flat because the writers ether don't get it and use it as fan service or don't talk to LGBT people about the real issues they face.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Best looks so far at Black Manta & Ocean Master.
So perfect :D

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am

Trailer for new Titans TV show is out.
https://youtu.be/-PPofXaJ4go

Jesus, it looks bad. The staff behind this has to be a bunch of angsty teenagers right and this is what they think is cool?
I'm pretty sure the writing staff had no idea there were multiple robins and just though Jason Todd was the coolest and edgiest and just renamed him Dick Grayson.

That and presenting Raven as some sort of damsel in distress who needs Robin's help with her powers? Utterly ridiculous. Oh, and Starfire better still be the Tamaran princess, but I'm expecting the show to present her as just another metahuman whose entire arc will be about learning to deal with her newfound powers (like we haven't seen enough of that with every other superhuman show). I swear, the whole Synderverse thing is the worst thing to happen to live-action comic adaptations.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 pm

They have looked the "Make everything broody and in the rain and only look vaguely like an actual comic book because we're afraid of bright colors and wild designs" impulses of the DCCU in the eye and said "no", and so I say "yes".
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:Trailer for new Titans TV show is out.
https://youtu.be/-PPofXaJ4go

Jesus, it looks bad. The staff behind this has to be a bunch of angsty teenagers right and this is what they think is cool?
I'm pretty sure the writing staff had no idea there were multiple robins and just though Jason Todd was the coolest and edgiest and just renamed him Dick Grayson.

That and presenting Raven as some sort of damsel in distress who needs Robin's help with her powers? Utterly ridiculous. Oh, and Starfire better still be the Tamaran princess, but I'm expecting the show to present her as just another metahuman whose entire arc will be about learning to deal with her newfound powers (like we haven't seen enough of that with every other superhuman show). I swear, the whole Synderverse thing is the worst thing to happen to live-action comic adaptations.

I was gonna bring this up but you've beaten me to the post, also the original teen titans cartoon was amazing because though it was dark it knew how to be funny this just looks like a bad re-rash of Xmen first class but with Gothem series shade and I think the Raven thing is an epic fail because like Starfire she doesn't fit in and it has nothing to do with being an angsts emo it's that she has incredibly dark power since she's half demon and has to keep it tightly wrapped and she is not looking for a saviour in fact she doesn't even want to be part of the group at the start and she joins because Starfire bring her in she's not interested in the others at all and distances herself from them.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:54 pm

I approve of black manta's helmet, but I'm not fond of all the body armor suit. It's not directly comparable, but I like the look he had in the DC animated movies where his helmet was the only tech-looking thing on his costume.

Orm looks fine except the chin-guard thing on his helmet. It doesn't look like he can open his mouth since the chin looks like a solid piece extending from the mask.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I was gonna bring this up but you've beaten me to the post, also the original teen titans cartoon was amazing because though it was dark it knew how to be funny this just looks like a bad re-rash of Xmen first class but with Gothem series shade and I think the Raven thing is an epic fail because like Starfire she doesn't fit in and it has nothing to do with being an angsts emo it's that she has incredibly dark power since she's half demon and has to keep it tightly wrapped and she is not looking for a saviour in fact she doesn't even want to be part of the group at the start and she joins because Starfire bring her in she's not interested in the others at all and distances herself from them.

Still better than Teen Titans Go!
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Alice Eve (star trek into darkness) confirmed she is playing Typhoid Mary in Iron Fist Season 2.
Please god let this season be a vast improvement over the last & not waste her. Fairly Underrated actress IMO. I recommend Cold comes the night with her & Bryan Cranston.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Still better than Teen Titans Go!

I disagree Teen Titan Go is utterly stupid but it still knows who its character are there history ect and does not try to change them or lessen the characters, in the trailer on the other hand these are not the characters these are people dressing like them and acting very out of character and it plays off more like bad fanfction.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Wow....

James Gunn was just fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because the Pizzagate guy resurfaced offensive/bad taste old tweets of Gunn's circa 2008.
The Pepe & Batman avatar crowds will be very happy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Wow....

James Gunn was just fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because the Pizzagate guy resurfaced offensive/bad taste old tweets of Gunn's circa 2008.
The Pepe & Batman avatar crowds will be very happy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

I did wonder if this was going to happen because before Gun was famous he wrote this weird at list on superheroes sex post and kind of stated that gay female heroes just need a penis to make them straight...that did not go down well, so this coming up does not surprise me in the slightest as I think after he got away with his first sex poll he proberbly thought he was untouchable.

https://www.themarysue.com/james-gunnsuperhero-sex-post/
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/29/james-gunn-prepares-fao/

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:45 pm

I say this as someone who doesn't think there was anything wrong with the superhero sex poll thing beyond being overly graphic in his commentary.

The tweets are REALLY fucking bad man.

I was about to get pretty pissed off as I love the Guardians films but then I actually saw the tweets...

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:58 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:I say this as someone who doesn't think there was anything wrong with the superhero sex poll thing beyond being overly graphic in his commentary.

The tweets are REALLY fucking bad man.

I was about to get pretty pissed off as I love the Guardians films but then I actually saw the tweets...

I think with the super hero sex thing it something that shouldn't have been public as in my view its fine to have thoughts and ideas on heroes but normally you pass these kinds of lists around between your closest friends and don't post in an online stadium for everyone to read. Also the timing of that list did not help matters as he was going to direct the first guardians of the galaxy.

I just read those tweets myself...I have no words...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Maybe it's my migraine talking, but these tweets aren't that bad. These are fictitious characters, and the comic books shave done much worse to these illustrations with backstories than anything James Gunn can or has tweeted about. Really, though, I guess it all has to do with how closely you relate to the characters to begin with. You can joke about Batwoman in a sexual manner all day long and I couldn't care less, but if you do the same with any Ghibli girl and my blood will boil, so I guess I'm no one who should talk about this one way or the other.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Maybe it's my migraine talking, but these tweets aren't that bad. These are fictitious characters, and the comic books shave done much worse to these illustrations with backstories than anything James Gunn can or has tweeted about. Really, though, I guess it all has to do with how closely you relate to the characters to begin with. You can joke about Batwoman in a sexual manner all day long and I couldn't care less, but if you do the same with any Ghibli girl and my blood will boil, so I guess I'm no one who should talk about this one way or the other.

The superhero sex stuff was just some controversy from years back. That wasn't what he was fired over, this is...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Oh, fuck.

Shit.

Damn.

Jesus Christ.

What the Hell, Gunn? What the Hell? Like, I know you got your start at Troma and your sense of humor is very weird (Slither will always be one of my faves), but... Maybe not on Twitter where context is weird and malleable? And loose?

It's so 13-year-old Edge Lord, too. Gross.

God Almighty....

Return to “Film and Video”