Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:35 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Geez dude. If I were to ever visit you, would I find an extra room in your house, filled with Eva swag, kind of like how Tiffany Grant has her room of Asuka?

Heh. The funny thing is, apart from the hoodie, the figure, and the blankets, everything I bought fits into one slim plastic bag. I actually don't have a lot of Eva stuff; it just looks like a lot since I grabbed a lot of clearfiles and whatever those not-clearfiles are (I also have most of the official Eva book releases, the CRCs, and the soundtracks). I have maybe ten figures total (three don't count), along with two Evas and one stuffed Pen-Pen. So I'm not as crazy as the post maybe made me seem!

Also, if I may, what kind of cop are you? Beat cop, traffic cop, detective, campus safety?

Federal agent, with ICE.

Glad you enjoyed the Eva panel, it just didn't shape up to what I wanted to be, for a variety of reasons. Next year I'm going for something much more tightly produced, like how I have in the past. The off-the-cuff compendiums that I do seem to be my comfort zone. At the very least, I'd like to do a "Japan still loves Evangelion (entirely too much)", which would be an update of my panel last year, but with updated/new material. Rei Ayanami paint? LOL.

Honestly, I liked it a lot better than the panel last year, but that was entirely because of Carl. I can see why it might not have shaken out the way you'd preferred, though.

Unless something drastically changes, I'm retiring from staffing Otakon, and my goal next year is to enjoy the last Baltimore Otakon and spend time with people. We should hang out next year.

I would like that, very much.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I would like that, very much.

I'm going to make a point to then, remind me to ask you over drinks what the weirdest thing is that you've confiscated/seized in your day to day. ;)

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:20 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Same as any other place where people meet I presume: they come for the event, and anything else is a personal matter between people who meet. But going with a prepared plan as suggested strikes me as simply creepy.

Planning to take women back to a hotel and feed them alcohol sounds a lot like date-rape.

In my friend's defense, the MO is not to chat up some young thing, tell her, "hey, wanna go back to my hotel and watch Tenchi Muyo," then feed her liquor and start macking when her BAC goes in the red. The way he made it sound was that he would either approach or be approached by a girl or girls at the con. There would be talking, flirting, a rapport being built over the day. What makes this different from, say, a book club or a church meeting is that people were looking to have fun and party after the panels had finished. After hanging out with said person, you would say, "hey, a bunch of us are gonna party at this hotel nearby," and if she was interested, she would be happy to join and even happier to see the bottle of Jack in the fridge (because in states like Virginia, it's not like you can just stop by the ABC Store at 11:00 to buy whatever. Foresight is needed.).

I know someone posted something on here about grinding on some random girl at an anime convention afterparty/rave. My line of questioning was about how much partying and after-partying goes on at these things? The answers I've gotten so far seem to indicate that it's not a huge part of the convention culture and my friend might have exaggerated a bit.

EDIT: Bagheera, I loved your post and the reviews. Kind of jealous you got to see the Carl Horn panel
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: [Convention] Otakon

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 am

Hey kids, Otakon is once again upon us. I'm hosting various panels and workshops again this, most of which are relevant to your interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnAQ7rL63hk

Panel & Workshop descriptions  SPOILER: Show
Panels

Japan Still Loves Evangelion, Entirely Too Much
We’ll be taking a look at the many ways that prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that Japan loves Evangelion entirely too much. From zany merchandise, to theme park attractions, to an attempt to send an unmanned probe to pierce the moon’s surface with a miniature replica of the Spear of Longinus.

The Life & Works of Hideaki Anno
Evangelion has been wildly successful and popular worldwide. But despite its popularity, its principal creator, Hideaki Anno, remains shrouded in mystery for many people. This panel will take a look at his life and works, and provide biographical information about the man who created Evangelion.

Requiem for Konami
Join us as we bid a fond farewell to Konami, a beloved game company who, through a series of terrible business decisions, may never publish another proper successor to any of its beloved franchises. We’ll look back to how it started, up to the present day, and its sad shift to pachinko and mobile.

Workshops

Getting Started with Fuse Beads
Fuse beads are a form of pixel art where small beads are placed on a grid to form an image and then melted together with a household iron. If you’ve ever thought about getting into fuse beads, it’s actually really easy, and this workshop will provide you with everything you need to get started.

Panelist Bootcamp
Whether you’re a complete newbie with an idea looking for some guidance, or an experienced panelist looking to sharpen your skills, this workshop will provide you the tools you need to succeed at presenting panels in the future.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Man I would have to loved to have gone to that Konami panel. What seems to be lost these days is just how many awesome games they have, probably my favourite third party publisher of the NES era, and near the top during the SNES/PS1/PS2 eras. It'd be interesting to see just how badly they managed to destroy their legacy and future.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:40 pm

I don't think I thought about it too much until recently, but I do have a ton of games published by Konami, Metal Gear, Zone of the Enders, Dance Dance Revolution, Contra, Castlevania, TMNT, etc.

Castlevania in particular is quickly becoming one of my favorite franchises.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Anyone going to Otakon this year, be sure to check out the panel on Japanese hardcore (I think it's Saturday, but I'm not sure). My friend Dan McGregor is speaking on it and not only is the man gonna teach you a thing or two about some of the best music ever (and I heard there might be giveaways), he is also a big Evangelion fan.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:44 am

Just added to my panels schedule:

Sega does... what Nintendon't
We'll take a look at the history of Sega, how it became a serious competitor to Nintendo, where it went wrong, and how it all fell apart. We'll look at its well-known hardware blunders, as well as the advertising and marketing that ranged from absurd to just plain "what were they thinking" weird.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:40 am

Otakon was great this year. I just wonder if we'll ever find ice cold water for only $1 when the convention moves to DC next year.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:58 am

Seems like Otakon went smoothly. For the first time in a while, I didn't go to con feedback. Having retired from staff, I don't feel that sense of ownership to see what people's feedback (or complaints) were this year. I've mostly been concerned with collecting feedback from my own panels and workshops so I can improve and step up my game.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 am

Otakon 2017 is upon us. Anyone going to be there? I'm putting on a bunch of panels and workshops. My last event is the Evangelion panel on Saturday morning, so I'll have plenty of time to hang out for the rest of the day.

Video with panels and descriptions on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1J22Kbl78s

My presenter schedule:

Steven Universe: A Closer Look [F+]
Friday, August 11, 2017
10:15 AM - 11:15 AM
Panel 2 - (WEWCC 207)

The Life & Works of Satoshi Kon [F+]
Friday, August 11, 2017
12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
Panel 4 - (WEWCC 150)

Getting Started with Fuse Beads [F+]
Friday, August 11, 2017
5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Workshop 3 - (Marriott M4 Independence E)

Panelist Bootcamp [F+]
Friday, August 11, 2017
11:00 PM - 12:30 AM
Workshop 3 - (Marriott M4 Independence E)

Evangelion's Ryohji Kaji, International Man of Mystery [F+]
Saturday, August 12, 2017
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Panel 2 - (WEWCC 207)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I can't this year. Fate has decided that I need to adult this August instead.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 am

Maybe one day I'll go to this.
Not like I live in DC or anything...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey nerds, so I've already mentioned that I have a couple Eva panels approved for Otakon this year, and I have a workshop approved as well.

Anyone else going to be at Otakon this year? I'd be interested in having a meetup!

If you're interested in seeing my panels/workshop, I'll be presenting:

Evangelion's Shinji Ikari, a painfully close look.
Shinji Ikari, he's the main character in one of the most enduring anime franchises. We'll take a look at what people love and hate about him, his role in the series, his design and creation, and the many incarnations throughout the Evangelion franchise. Did you know in one manga, he's a detective?

Evangelion, written and directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino.
In 1979 and 1980, Mobile Suit Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon were broadcast. Fifteen years later, many story and thematic elements were taken from them to create Neon Genesis Evangelion. We'll dive into each of these series, and how much Evangelion owes to Sunrise and Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Getting Started with Fuse Beads
Fuse beads are a form of pixel art where small beads are placed on a grid to form an image and then melted together with a household iron. If you've ever thought about getting into fuse beads, it's actually really easy, and this workshop will provide you with everything you need to get started.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 pm

There's a chance that the people who will be there are going to have some interesting company.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 am

I wasn't concerned when I read that it was 2.1 miles away. Two miles away in a city might as well be the next town over. However, Otakon's got it wrong, Lafayette Square Park is actually less than a mile from the convention center.

https://i.imgur.com/1Sy6EwI.png

Hopefully they'll update their messaging to be accurate.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Alright dorks, Otakon is approaching, who, if anyone will I expect to run into?

Also, I see that Masahiko Otsuka and Yoh Yoshinari will be appearing at Otakon.

https://www.otakon.com/guests/masahiko-otsuka/
https://www.otakon.com/guests/yoh-yoshinari/

Return to “Anime and Manga”