Hideaki Anno, Mari, and destroying Eva

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Sachiel

Hideaki Anno, Mari, and destroying Eva

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm

So in an interview a few years ago, when asked about Mari, Anno said he wanted her to "destroy Eva". I always saw this as a self aware nod to the fact that she's clearly only in the films to sell merch to horny weebs- until last night. I was thinking about this quote while showering when I realized, Mari was exactly what the fans wanted. "More fanservice and cute waifu material please!", they would call from their dorito-stained keyboards. New Theatrical Evangelion is a mutant conglomeration of fanservice, along with it's real effects on the characters. What was the biggest complaint people had about getting into Neon Genesis Evangelion? "Shinji is a pussy". Because of this, Anno decided to give the fans exactly what they wanted, by having Shinji become a badass hero, going after his waifu even at the cost of the planet itself. However, this did lead to the near destruction of Earth, and set Shinji and WILLE back tremendously. Because of Shinji's selfish, brash actions, everything is fucked. This displays a clear reference to how people perceived Neon Genesis and especially EoE, they hated it because it didn't have the happy ending they wanted, but instead a real, logical ending with a powerful message. Anno is using New Theatrical Evangelion to show those who hated Neon Genesis that they can't always get what they want, and sometimes you have to look at the real world, a very roundabout way to call back to how Neon Genesis was originally supposed to be more about the potential dangers of too much escapism. This is only one example, but the biggest one that stands out in my mind. There are tons more, Shinji and Rei finally becoming closer, with a love triangle developing involving Asuka, however this means very little in the grand scheme of things. Kawoshin finally has a chance to shine, however because Kaworu is cocky, seemingly wanting to wear the DSS Choker as a taunt to the Lilin who couldn't kill him, he gets himself killed. A billion new characters were added in Q because of the positive reaction to Mari, but just like Mari, they all have very little screen time and one-note personalities.
I've reached a point where I just generally don't give a fuck anymore. In a good way.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Hideaki Anno, Mari, and destroying Eva

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Mari has an important role advising Shinji near the ends of both *Ha* and *Q*.

As for ‘breaking’ Eva, what she breaks is conventions established in NGE, like restrictions on who can pilot which Eva unit, not the franchise as a whole.

And ‘one note’? If this was NGE perhaps, but in the film context she is as developed as necessary - and indeed still has unexplained mysteries about her.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Why do I have to deal with these Titans as well as Angels? (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:10 am

I think her presence indeed changes quite a bit about the tone of the films, indirectly too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Cruel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Mari Makinami Illustrious.

The Force of Nature.

I'll never get it how divided the opinions are about her.

For Rebuild being a reboot to try some new and old concepts that weren't possible to implement in Neon Genesis, she's a importaint key person that stands greatly in contrast to Shinji and Asuka.

She deals her inner demons and takes her role as a Eva-Pilot with ease and humor, no matter how serious it is.

Her having also a significant amount of knowledge about imformation that is too dangerous to be known, because of her connections with IPEA and Kaji, does question her actual background, whether she experienced similar trauma like Shinji and Asuka for becoming a Eva-Pilot, or it could be far more than that.

In one form or another we'll see what kind of person Mari really is in 3.0+1.0, though I don't think she can't stop Asuka from hating Shinji and Shinji from hating himself and who knows what she 'll want from Rei.

She cares about the wellbeing of the other Pilots more than others do and she can't have any malicious intends in that matter.

What ever 'll be shown in 3.0+1.0, about what makes Mari as we know her, she 'll have her big moments.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”