What are all of the official language dubs? (worldwide)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

What are all of the official language dubs? (worldwide)

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Out of curiosity (for the lulz)

I'm trying to figure out what all of the officially created dubs are for Evangelion

now of course, this runs into several complications due to the nature of anime as we all know, for if you think about it, really accurate and well acted fandubs can frequently match or supercede "officially licensed" dubs particularly in regional countries in which the caliber of officially licensed dub acting isn't so great.

Nonetheless, we might only find out about these through the internet.

Then again, what are "anime licensing companies" like ADV or FUNimation, other than groups of people who knew some Japanese who in the early 90's banded together and bought a business license? The line blurs.

To make what I'm saying more clear: I am unaware of any Hindi translation of the series. Nonetheless, if a group of dedicated Hindi-speaking fans make an academical-level accurate translation into Hindi, then hire their friends who can do voices and act well into reading it into a microphone, and release it on the internet......doesn't that make it "real"...even if not officially licensed? ("this tomato is artificial; the breed was created by humans and doesn't exist in nature. But if I stick it in the ground and let it grow for a few generations....wouldn't that make it "real"?" --The Big O )

Putting such complications aside, (that a well-translated well-acted fandub has equal claim, legalism aside, to being a "good fandub"...and that some "Voice Actors" in other languages are really just people reading the dialogue off a sheet of paper and not "actors" at all) I'm trying to figure out all of the languages for which there is an officially licensed and professionally produced Evangelion dub:

please help

• Japanese (of course)
  • English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian (I think)
  • Portugese
  • Spanish (a matter of confusion is that I believe different Spanish-speaking countries have produced multiple dubs, due to the regional variations within the language i.e. Spain-Spanish and Chile-Spanish aren't exactly the same)
  • Indonesian
  • Tagalog (Philippines)
  • Mandarin Chinese (for both PRC and Taiwan airings)
  • Cantonese (for Hong Kong airings)

you see I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWTZbg32leM&feature=related

but I don't know if these are fan-dubs

IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS SACRED, STOP ABUSING BOLD FACE. -Admin
Last edited by V on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:35 am

Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Tagalog and Portuguese dubs at least are confirmed by ANN .

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 am

thanks for the link
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:18 pm

I know that I once came across what was either a sub or dub in Polish of all things online (that was a pleasant surprise), but I believe it was fanmade, at any rate.

Apparently before Platinum was out, ADV had Eva episodes on DVD in the original Japanese English as well as Spanish and French, or so I remember reading/hearing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:20 pm

I hope they got around to making an esperonto dub.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 pm

I would pay to see a Welsh dub on S4C.

(S4C being the only welsh speaking channel in case some of you non taffies didn't know)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:59 pm

master_lloyd wrote:...taffies...

Mmm.... taffy...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

master_lloyd wrote:I would pay to see a Welsh dub on S4C.

(S4C being the only welsh speaking channel in case some of you non taffies didn't know)

oh geez I've been to Britain but I've never been to Wales
Who is "Codename V"?....

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:12 pm

The Cantonese dub sucks- Shinji did sound gay in that dub.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Fin.de.Siecle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fin.de.Siecle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 pm

Evangelion is huge in Spanish-speaking countries. =3

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:48 am

Call me crazy, but I actually LIKE the English NGE dub. Allison Keith as Misato's voice can get annoying after a while, but it's still pretty cute. And Shinji's voice actor does a REALLY good voice of the depressed, lonely, wimpy kid. Rei's voice actress is good too, and Asuka's is OK.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:00 am

V wrote:I've never been to Wales.

You're lucky.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:20 am

Evangelion__x wrote:Call me crazy, but I actually LIKE the English NGE dub. Allison Keith as Misato's voice can get annoying after a while, but it's still pretty cute. And Shinji's voice actor does a REALLY good voice of the depressed, lonely, wimpy kid. Rei's voice actress is good too, and Asuka's is OK.

actually, a few translation errors aside, I honestly consider the English dub of Eva one of the best ever. Well, I mean look what else was coming out in the mid to late 90's; the dubs back then really weren't good at all. And the Director's Cut episodes with redone audio tracks really had a great dubbing job.

So nitpicking aside (and yes there were some key translation errors i.e. Lilith and Adam in EoE), the English dub is pretty good (compared to many other shows at the time which were simply "people reading a translation off a card")
Who is "Codename V"?....

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:37 am

Zuggy wrote:
V wrote:I've never been to Wales.

You're lucky.

:asuka_geh:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:11 am

master_lloyd wrote::asuka_geh:

Calm down calm down!

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 am

"SO UNFAIR!"

[URL=http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=42099436kevin203kl0.jpg]Image[/URL]
Eva Facts:

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 pm

lols

It is unfair that Micke-I mean-Welsh folk are the butt of all jokes - but then I'm from south Essex and we don't fair much better when it comes to being stereotyped.

Wuz just 'aving a laff mayte.

V
Banned

Re: What are all of the official language dubs? (worldwide)

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:01 pm

So, confirmed by ANN:

• Japanese (of course)
  • English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Portugese
  • Spanish
  • Tagalog (Philippines)

This does not include that there might be dubs of sub-variants of languages, i.e. Spain-Spanish vs Catalan vs Mexian-Spanish, etc. etc.

Wikia goes on to list:

• Indonesian
  • Mandarin Chinese (for both PRC and Taiwan airings)
  • Cantonese (for Hong Kong airings)

Now the odd thing with the supposed Polish dub is it mentions that they did "dub" it but apparently through use of automatic translation software (apparently Poland does that a lot with foreign TV they buy) so I don't know if its a "good" dub or not. Someone who comprehends Polish on a conversational level might try searching the internets for "polish evangelion" and see what comes up and if its "acting" or "someone reading a translation off a card"

****You see I ask, because of localization issues, i.e. what parts of the world do not yet know the joys of Eva?

That is....dedicated fans who functionally know a language well enough could make a Fandub, and if there is no "official" dub in that language...if they spread it through the internets that could make it "real" or they could even try selling it to a distributor.

Not me though: translations already exist for all of the languages I know.

So you see going down the

List of languages by world internet usage

All of the Top Ten seem to have a dub, except for Korean and Russian. Isn't there a Korean dub? I assumed there would be. Anyway, the series *did* air in Russia (on MTVRussia) but subtitled.

As for Indonesia, the problem is that they are a large country speaking more than one language, and under internet languages I think what is listed as "Malay" is actually "indonesian" too but for legal reasons is called something different. Well, I think Indonesian means "Malay" and they're at #11.

Moving down the list:

Dutch, Arabic, Polish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese, Persian, Romanian

once again that Rei-monologue video linked above includes some of these languages but I think they're fandubs, and I suspect the "Polish dub" was automatically generated and not with real voice actors. Hmmm....yeah I doubt we'd ever see the series in like, Arabic, due to many countries banning stuff like the Matrix trilogy for being religiously sensitive (shrug) what about like, Dutch or something? That's a prominent world language....

...moving further down the line we've got Czech, Hebrew, Danish, Finnish, Hungarian (Lófasz! Te vagy a Blade Runner!)

hhmmmm....given all the Kabbalah stuff in the series a Hebrew dub would be pretty interesting...

and rounding this out we have Greek, Catalan, Norwegian, Slovak, Serbo-Croatian, Ukrainian, Punjabi, Slovenian, Icelandic, etc. etc. etc.

In all seriousness the major ones they never got to seem mostly to be Russian, Korean, Thai, etc. though there might be dubs I'm not aware of.

The Eva Monkey wrote:I hope they got around to making an esperonto dub.

I hate Esperanto with a fiery passion
Who is "Codename V"?....

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:26 pm

master_lloyd wrote:I would pay to see a Welsh dub on S4C.

Zuggy wrote:I'm from south Essex

Hehehe...Master_lloyd and Zuggy = Gavin and Stacey! :w00t:
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

fukuda
Embryo

Re: What are all of the official language dubs? (worldwide)

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 pm

This thread is about ten years old but I might as well give it a tenth birthday present:

The German dub :

[SERIES] https://bs.to/serie/Neon-Genesis-Evange ... l/OpenLoad

[END] http://www.veoh.com/watch/v3885857rErxNE5Y [AIR, LOVE IS DESTRUCTIVE]
[END] http://www.veoh.com/watch/v3894715QmwGZBWc [SINCERELY YOURS, ONE MORE FINALE]
I love you todoite kono omoi
kitto itsuka wa kanau yo ne
konna kimochi setsuna sugiru no

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”