Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:31 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I was suggesting, metaphorically, that Pacific Rim is true to its anime/kaiju film/mecha influences and the dip in quality in the sequel is as if Americans tried to replicate it with the same fidelity that they brought over the feel of Ghost in the Shell, Dragonball, Godzilla (in 1998) etc.

I was playin with your joke a bit, what country do you think would be the most likely to make Pacific Rim other than America?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:One does wonder what would happen if the show were on the other foot, and a Japanese film production company was trying to adapt quintessentially American properties, namely Marvel and DC comics.

How about a Japanese adaptation of a Clint Eastwood-directed cowboy movie?

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:49 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I know I've said this before, but it's still funny to me that the most successful (critically and financially) American adaptation of a Japan-sourced anime or manga is a Tom Cruise film.

One does wonder what would happen if the show were on the other foot, and a Japanese film production company was trying to adapt quintessentially American properties, namely Marvel and DC comics.

They already have, it was made by the creators of Super Sentai and it was called Spidaman.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 pm

From March 5:
View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The second anime Godzilla movie has been given a Japanese release date of May 18.
If they follow a similar release pattern to the first film then it should hit Netflix worldwide something in mid-to-late-July.
You can probably already stencil in the third & final film for a Japanese release in mid-November 2018.

Anywho, Netflix just confirmed the second entry in the bad anime trilogy Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle hits Netflix worldwide on July 18th.
With the third movie already set for a November release in Japan it’s pretty much a given the Netflix release date will be exactly two months after that in January 2019.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote: Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle

I see they want Harlan Ellison to claw his way from the peace of the grave and call his lawyer.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:06 am

First photos from KOM...
SPOILER: Show

Also Danai Gurira (black panther) is in talks for Godzilla vs Kong.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:First photos from KOM...

Also Danai Gurira (black panther) is in talks for Godzilla vs Kong.

Okay I know both these women from there other shows and I really hope they get decent parts as one thing that really bothered me in the first Godzilla was Elle Brody in my view never got to shown really being a full on medical doctor and saving dying people her character was written in a slightly lazy manner, its why ironically I felt Kong Skull Island was the much better film as it gave its female characters way more leg room while still carrying its story. I just hope Michael Dougherty pulls this off because I loved what he did with Krampus and that his female characters were both funny and shown as brave in crisis.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 am

I doubt you have much to worry about silvermoonlight, I believe they are the leads and Vera had this to say about her character...
“I play a paleobiologist. She has figured out a way to communicate with the creatures and potentially control them using their bioacoustics on a sonar level. So she is like a DJ for the monsters.”

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:40 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:I doubt you have much to worry about silvermoonlight, I believe they are the leads and Vera had this to say about her character...

Thank you for that, that's really great to hear. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Tease for the KOM trailer we will get this weekend at comic con.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emanE-Egu3A

Just going by this it seems like they are still going for a vibe of menace like the 2014 film did which is very pleasing for me personally.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 pm

So now we get trailers, for trailers, for trailers.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 am

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is gonna have a big Comic-Con presentation this weekend. Would not be surprised if the presentation includes a lot on the follow up Godzilla Vs. Kong and major announcements of what/if Warner Brothers has any plans after that film.
The minute of footage dropped online is less of a trailer & more of a “get hype” announcement.

In other news, yes I have a sickness and watched the second entry in the anime trilogy, Godzilla: City On the Edge of Battle, that is now available for streaming on Netflix. Yeah it’s shit like the first one - it might even be worse - but I got to sit down and drink three beers while it played out so there’s that.

You know what the most impressive thing about the film is?
Besides the fact that literally half the movie is people prattling on about “Nanometal” the much marketed MechaGodzilla isn’t even in the movie. I don’t mean that they tease MechaGodzilla for the final film - like I thought they did - but I mean they literally don’t do more than give the thing a casual mention. I believe MechaGodzilla is in more of the first film than it is here. You certainly get more MechaGodzilla in Spielberg’s Ready Player One than you do in the movie whose first poster was literally the character in question. So far I’d say the bold lie of the marketing is the most impressive thing about the films so far. Seeing as how the post-credit teaser for this movie is one fat trailer for a limp “Yeah, we’re bringing in King Ghidorah” reveal I’d almost applaud them if they just didn’t to fuck with people more.

Ultimately this anime “trilogy” (clearly the writer was commissioned to write a script for one movie & that was later stretched out into three) is a train wreck. I don’t know why I continued but I did and I will suffer through the last one next January I’m sure.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:22 am

Monarch Bios for Rodan, Mothra & Ghidorah.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 pm

I just want to say that I hope that whoever in the marketing department came up with "the devil has three heads" got a bonus because that is the best fuckin' tagline ever.

Edit: Also I'll get to watching the new anime movie this weekend but I expect to basically fast forward to the parts with the CGI Godzilla that somehow still looks like rubber and ignore the bizarre and nonsensical worldbuilding.

Seriously the first Godzilla anime should have been titled: Godzilla: The Animated Series: What the fuck is going on? Does anyone know? I don't know? Why are there Klingons and elves? Just go with it.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:07 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Monarch Bios for Rodan, Mothra & Ghidorah.

I also that they called Ghidorah the Winged Serpent because if you know your mythology that's a reference to the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl and Quetzalcoatl is a huge blood thirsty asshole who loves to eat people whole alive and cause utter carnage and this really fits with the canon.

And that trailer that looks awesome! :w00t:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Not bad, not bad. I’m not disappointed yet. Mothra shot looks beautiful. So far so good.

*continues to look for evidence of the Mothra fairies*

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:20 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:It's so freaking beautiful!
:boingy: :mwahaha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDtmouV9kM

GREAT GOOGY MOOGY

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Not bad, not bad. I’m not disappointed yet. Mothra shot looks beautiful. So far so good.

*continues to look for evidence of the Mothra fairies*

Speculation  SPOILER: Show
I don't know why I'm spoilering this but I'm pretty sure Eleven there is taking that role.

They really seem to be going balls to the wall with this, Any chance of Mechagodzilla? I guess we'd know if Legendary had gotten the license since it's been public knowledge that the picked up the rest of the crew for a couple of years now. Also wondering if Kong will be in it?
the prophecy is true

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:51 pm

The trailer to G2: King of Monsters is outstanding but it gave me doubts about the Vera Farmiga character:

Does the way her colleagues speak to her with quotes like "You're a monster!" and Vera saying "I'm sorry but it's the only way." imply that she is the human villain in the grand scheme of things which if they kill her off in this entry would make sense since she hasn't been rumored to be in Godzilla vs. Kong or maybe I misheard the trailer and which characters are denouncing the mad scientist... :???:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:49 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:The trailer to G2: King of Monsters is outstanding but it gave me doubts about the Vera Farmiga character:

Does the way her colleagues speak to her with quotes like "You're a monster!" and Vera saying "I'm sorry but it's the only way." imply that she is the human villain in the grand scheme of things which if they kill her off in this entry would make sense since she hasn't been rumored to be in Godzilla vs. Kong or maybe I misheard the trailer and which characters are denouncing the mad scientist... :???:

Charles Dance is the villain & has convinced her to side with him.
It's not her colleagues calling her out its her husband & daughter.

Return to “Film and Video”