Some interesting details about Asuka

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
bowen_shi
Embryo

Some interesting details about Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby bowen_shi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:38 pm

SPOILER: Show

Above picture: from episode 15 5:41. So Shinji was looking at Rei,but who was watching him?
ImageImage

Above pictures: from episode 15 18:45. We can see after the kiss was ended by Shijji, Asuka’s arm was still frozen in the air. Then she rushed into bathroom. Notice the shadow in her face. She hid her true feelings.

Above picture: from episode 16 7:42. Before Misato’s order, Asuka has moved to Shinji.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Above pictures: from episode 16. When Misato gave the order to retreat, we can see Asuka was going to reject the order, but interrupted by Rei. Rei said ”Unit 01 and Ikari are still here”. It’s interesting that Rei was not following the order. It’s more interesting to notice Asuka’s reaction in her face. Now you may understand why Asuka just said “What? Is my bad-mouthing of Shinji that much of a problem for you?!”in the last picture.

Above picture: from episode 16 20:43. Some people think Asuka is jealous of Misato’s fondness to Shinji. I can’t deny that but still, you can see after the battle, Asuka rushed off to check Shinji’s status right after Misato.

Above pitcture: from episode 18 6:43. When Asuka was complaining Shinji, her foot was waggling lively. Body language can’t lie.

Above picture: from episode 22. We know at this time, Asuka found Shinji and Rei were chatting and said:” He was melted into his Eva for a whole month until just the other day. What’s with him? He’s totally back to his usual thing again.” I don’t think Asuka was jealous of Shinji’s quick recovery. I mean, come on, they live in the same house, study in the same classroom, and she can only find his recovery until seeing him with Rei after some days? That’s a little odd for me. I think here reveals Asuka’s concern about Shinji during the last month, and jealous of Shinji and Rei’s relationship. And of course, being exceeded by Shinji.

Above picture: from episode 22 20:59. It’s a surprise for us that Shinji appears in Asuka ‘s mind with this positive look at first. How many times we can find Shinji is that happy during the whole series, especially in front of Asuka? Maybe this is how you view a boy you like in your mind, I guess.

In conclusion, this is how a girl student in love looks like. I don’t care whether is “ love ”or not. At least for me, knowing that someone values me so much in her mind is enough.
Last edited by bowen_shi on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Some interesting details about Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Yup, there's lots of subtle stuff like this in Eva!
Honestly never payed attention to the episode 18 thing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Nice analysis here.

As much as Asuka hides her feelings for Shinji, to not appear weak in front of others, the more she doubts herself what Shinji means to her, when they both are hindered by their fears and therefore never got to know the essentials of love and living, thanks to their parents.

And it only serves for selfish men and women who dared to be above Gods and Angels.

To make them initiate 3I and live for the rest of their days as the last remaining humans, to never get to know about humanity existing again in aeons from evolving out of the primordial state, is the ultimate sacrifice to save what's left in the face of the universe.

I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm

That is the best detailed reasoning behind the argument that Asuka loves Shinji, or at the very least cared deeply for him. I never noticed that Asuka saw Shinji happy in her mind, and you are right to point out that he was not always a happy camper, and I don't ever recall him smiling around Asuka, save for one or two times. For her to think of that memory above all others about Shinji considering how she outwardly treats him, she must love him.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Late to the party, but yeah, these are great details. Asuka would never admit it, but she's very concerned for Shinji.

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 am

To make them initiate 3I and live for the rest of their days as the last remaining humans, to never get to know about humanity existing again in aeons from evolving out of the primordial state, is the ultimate sacrifice to save what's left in the face of the universe.

How is this misconception still going on.

Yui literally says all life can choose to return. The adam and eve theory is the eva equivalent of the birther conspiracy. It directly contradicts what we are directly told:
Rei:
"Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves in their own heart."

Yui:
"All living things have the ability to return to their original form... and the heart to go on living."

Yui literally says everyone can choose to return. The sacrifice, the possibility of pain is outlined here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-Q5mH6EaM
I will eventually be betrayed

but
i wanna see them again.

Gendo's "selfishness" is literally rejected by someone who had the power to remake the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQaafNForNs

Not only is your assumption regarding the state of humanity unfounded and directly contradictory of what we are literally told. it also would be an utterly awful narrative choice that completely disregards what the last 30 minutes of the movie set up.

Inferring a message is nice, but inferences should be based on the material you are making inferences about, not headcanon.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 am

^
You can’t be sure that Shinji and Asuka ‘ll still be alive to witness humanity to come back.

And even if it takes a strong will for humans to come back, it doesn‘t mean that this will happen so easly and in any moment.

Time and Space are too fucked at this point.

The last time all of life on earth could evolve out from the primodial state into a stable state before 2I and 3I took aeons.

Humanity will never get to know that Shinji and Asuka had ever existed.

It‘s the same as them being buried alive.

Shinji and Asuka are death stranded.
Last edited by The Cruel on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:14 am

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:And even if it takes a strong will for humans to come back, it doesn‘t mean that this will happen so easily and in any moment.

But nor is there any specific justification for your extremely pessimistic view.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:44 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But nor is there any specific justification for your extremely pessimistic view.

For a pessimist I feel myself as good as a optimist can ever be.

Because I don't have any hopes that end up being false.

All this talk about hope, forgiveness, happiness and love is like thrown into the wind in contrast to the horrors that happen in Eva.

...And therefore  SPOILER: Show
You can (not) hope

Like it ever deserves to be any better.

You can (not) hope

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:^
You can’t be sure that Shinji and Asuka ‘ll still be alive to witness humanity to come back.

Sure I can, the climactic choice Shinji makes is between "seeing his friends again" and "avoiding betrayal". Not "living without the rest of humanity" or "everyone dying". The former is not only directly implied but it also was built up to for the entire series whether it be the train scenes in the first episodes or yui noting that gendo was scared. The latter is an edgy plot twist that undermines everything else we've seen in the story.

And even if it takes a strong will for humans to come back, it doesn't mean that this will happen so easily and in any moment.

Strawman, No one said it would be smooth or instantaneous. You're just assuming, for no reason, that "in any moment" means "the remainder of Shinji and Asuka's life"

Time and Space are too fucked at this point.

Another assumption. Stop making assumptions, show me what in the show you're referencing when you come to these conclusions

The last time all of life on earth could evolve out from the primodial state into a stable state before 2I and 3I took aeons.

Humanity will never get know that Shinji and Asuka had ever existed.
"Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves in their own heart."

It‘s the same as them being buried alive.
Shinji and Asuka are death stranded.

Because you want them to, not because of anything that happens in the actual script.

You can (not) hope
'You are entitled to your world view. But when your worldview directly contradicts what is expressed in a story's climax, it's best to not project yourself into the source material, imo.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm

And people said that I was being pessimistic, back in the day...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:And people said that I was being pessimistic, back in the day...

WTF? LOL.

Why would lynchers/rapists be the first ones to find the will to live?

Why would Asuka and Shinji just lie their all day long?

Why would Asuka, established as a fantasic marshal artist just let ppl fuck with her?

So many random ass assuptions that don't even make sense lol. Nice people tend to be less insecure than mean people and would likely take less time to reject suicide.

And no lol, that's not the "upside" version, that's the version where you make all the worst assumptions that the likes of Gendo made, ignoring that the climax of the film has Shinji refuse to make the same assumptions. Looooool.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm

View Original PostPenPen4life wrote:How is this misconception still going on.

You can partly blame TV Tropes for presenting that misconception as the standard interpretation of the scene.

Anyway, to actually talk about Asuka and Shinji, to me it's pretty clear how they feel about each other, but I sure wouldn't call them a healthy couple. Shinji's so introjected ge can't really read between the lines with people, and Asuka deliberately obfuscates her feelings, both out of the defensive mindset they share. Maybe in a universe where their relationship was given time to actually grow they could have become good for each other, but Eldritch Horror is rarely good for relationships.

Also women really tend to not like you once you've stroked your goat over their comatose body.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi everyone, I just want to add to this post, because there is an amazing amount of detail in the scene where Asuka and Shinji kiss. I didn't make this discovery myself but it was posted as a comment by Jonathan Wang on the YouTube video of the scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kME7NJrxhow. He notes that: "you can actually see Asuka get subtly more irritated as the kiss goes on due to Shinji's inaction. At 0:50 or so in addition to Shinji's face color change, her eyebrows are also subtly shifted to one that makes her look annoyed".
Such a tiny transition really says a lot in the context of the series, but you really have to look closely for this one!
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:05 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:snip

Good catch.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:14 pm

It's a shame this sort of detail is rarely reproduced in dubs. I remember the ADV dub had a bunch of "naughty naughty" moans in that scene and it completely breaks things. In EoE, too, Miyamura gave Asuka an exasperated tone confronting Shinji that just gives a *hint* of heartbreak and dissapointment, but in the dub she was just mad and that's it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Why would a dub need to reproduce a purely visual detail?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:46 am

Never ever noticed the eyebrow shift. And I've watched the show an insane amount of times.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:37 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why would a dub need to reproduce a purely visual detail?

Uhh, I think I got kinda confused and meant to refer to that part in EoE specifically as well as the creative liberties they took with the "mmmphs".

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”