Progressive Knife

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Executor
Banned

Re: Progressive Knife

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri May 25, 2007 2:09 pm

slothen wrote:
Sachiel_13 wrote:i forget what its called, but just how strong is the Eva's Knife? their "most powerful" weapon

LIEK REALLY STRONG!

Indeed. I think they easily could cut tank armor(M1A2 MBT armor)

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby marmotgirl » Fri May 25, 2007 2:12 pm

slothen wrote:
Sachiel_13 wrote:i forget what its called, but just how strong is the Eva's Knife? their "most powerful" weapon

LIEK REALLY STRONG!

IT'S OVER 9000!

Couldn't resist ;)

*crawls away*
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri May 25, 2007 2:16 pm

marmotgirl wrote:
slothen wrote:

LIEK REALLY STRONG!

IT'S OVER 9000!

Couldn't resist ;)

*crawls away*

Final Fantasy references FTW?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri May 25, 2007 2:38 pm

no, DBZ Vegeta, meme-ified at your usual places.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 28, 2007 7:29 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Rei doesn't get a Prog knife, but at least she gets some big guns!

and the Lance

Typhus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Typhus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Executor wrote:
tinmeigut wrote:It seems to me that Eva-02's progressive knife is too fragile; I can never imagine someone would use a cutter to kill someone- the blade is so thin.

It's for stabbing. When you stab it in, you can break off the blade. It's really nasty, and I saw somebody that was stabbed with that style of knife try to fish the broken blade out. Didnt go so well for him.

like this

[url]http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.office365.co.uk/im/pim/908242.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.office365.co.uk/Artists-Graphics-Supplies/Knives-1.htm&h=243[/url]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 am

exactly like that, the blades look exactly like Asukas

she did do that breaking thing in EoE too, that was one of my favorite parts

Jumpstart A. Cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jumpstart A. Cat » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:10 pm

fathergendo wrote:it moves back and forth rapidly, which gives it the potent power it needs to destroy the angles... the other units seen in end of eva don't have prog knifes, but instead have replicas of the lance of longinous. which Rei throw out of this world to the moon where it stays until end of eva.

DESTROY THE ANGLES!

Anywho, summary of what happened to the Lance of Longinus not really necessary...

Bean Bandit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:15 pm

Jumpstart A. Cat wrote:DESTROY THE ANGLES!

:lol:

...i know, man, the Angles, they're everywhere!
What do you like to play? ...Pokemon! Pokemon?

Ya see, the kids, they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage. Ya see?

Unit_pk
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Unit_pk » Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm

View Original PostOpteron-O3 wrote:Rei doesn't get a Prog knife, but at least she gets some big guns!

Rei dos have a prog knife I think! I the battle against Sahaquiel?

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Wed May 30, 2018 1:31 pm

View Original PostUnit_pk wrote:Rei dos have a prog knife I think! I the battle against Sahaquiel?

Yeah, it's either Sahaquiel or maybe Matarael but either way it's the only mission where she uses it. It's also only in NGE, with Rebuild omitting her Prog Knife entirely.

Also, Asuka's knife seems woefully inefficient because of the blades breaking off since they'll regularly require replacements. Shinji's hunting knife seems like the better choice.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm

View Original Postfathergendo wrote:If you all remember the prog knife is not a standard knife. it moves back and forth rapidly, which gives it the potent power it needs to destroy the angles..

Which would make the "improved" prog knife of Unit 02 even more questionable, as the last thing you want on vibro weapons are structural flaws such as intended breaking points

Executor wrote:Indeed. I think they easily could cut tank armor(M1A2 MBT armor)

Two things:
1) Composite armor is not all that effective against kinetic energy weapons, which the prog knife is (intended to counter hollow charges)
2) The "power" of the blade doesnt matter if it is literally as thick as the tank is high, possibly more. There is no way an Abrams would be able to resist even so much as the raw mass of the knife
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Neepa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neepa » Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Any of the hand weapons at that size would be a hydraulic press pressing on a line 1 cm wide.
Anything will just shear apart unter that pressure on such a small area.

How excatly do the knifes even vibrate?
Forth and back longitudal or from right to left?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm

View Original PostNeepa wrote:How excatly do the knifes even vibrate?
Forth and back longitudal or from right to left?

This article sums it up fairly well
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:22 pm

What dosen’t make sense to me is that the Evangelions have to manually hold the knife, which can be easily lost. Why not just have wrist blades, since they could retract it in and out at will when its not needed, instead of having to put it back in the shoulder pad.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am

View Original PostVUX wrote:What dosen’t make sense to me is that the Evangelions have to manually hold the knife, which can be easily lost. Why not just have wrist blades, since they could retract it in and out at will when its not needed, instead of having to put it back in the shoulder pad.

Well, the blades have to go somewhere when they are retracted... and while I dont know about you, I would take the risk of losing my weapon over having zero range of motion on my wrists any day

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 am

It can be easy to forget based on their head designs and armour, but the Evas are meant to be human, which informs a lot of their design traits. For a completely mechanical being like a Jaeger or a Cybertronian, sure, integrated blades work. Organic Evas not only have nowhere to store them, but it takes away from that human quality.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:It can be easy to forget based on their head designs and armour, but the Evas are meant to be human, which informs a lot of their design traits. For a completely mechanical being like a Jaeger or a Cybertronian, sure, integrated blades work. Organic Evas not only have nowhere to store them, but it takes away from that human quality.

Implants would be possible. I mean, the entire upper back is nothing else basically. But even on completely mechanical beings, there is no functional way of storing a blade long enough to have a significant impact on combat without severely restricting wrist movement.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm

They could wear metal gauntlets, like the predators from the Predator movies.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:They could wear metal gauntlets, like the predators from the Predator movies.

As someone who has four years of experience with swords and polearms, I can with confidence say that this is a horrible idea if you want to use any weapon beyond that. On top of the unnecessary weight and the questionable overall use of it, with the blades out you can neither turn your wrists, nor bend them outwards, and holding a gun would be a massive pain as well. Also, those blades are only good for stabbing, and cutting wold be really awkward and involve a lot of unnesessary movement

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”