Some little-known Brazilian cartoons

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Some little-known Brazilian cartoons

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Brazilian animation gets a pretty bad rap, mostly because its most famous export is the infamous Video Brinquedo series of "mockbusters". But there's a lot more to Brazil's animation industry than that. The other day, I stumbled upon an Brazil-based animation studio catalog documenting several animation projects I've never heard of before. The whole thing is over 200 pages long, so there's plenty to read up on in it. I'm just going to name a few that stood out to me.

Nautilus: This is an 80-minute animated feature film about 3 children named Chris, Leo, and Lisa, who set out on a journey to find the lost city of Atlantis. Set in 1460 Italy, it has a very old-school Disney look to it. It also seems to draw heavy inspiration from the writings of Jules Verne and the artwork of Leonardo da Vinci.

X-Heart: This is another animated film, this time aimed at an audience of teenagers. It follows a young man who forms a rock band and hopes to make it big in the city.

Lost in Paradise— the New Adventures of Adam and Eve: A raunchy, satirical adult cartoon in the vein of South Park or Drawn Together, but with a focus on parodying Bible stories. I can kind of see why this one never made it to America (Americans being very sensitive about mockeries of their religion) but at the same time it looks like it could have been hilarious.

Cordelicos—the Desert Pirates: This series, supposedly aimed at older children and teens ages 12 to 15, follows the adventures of a group of treasure hunters who are transported to a far future, where they deal with aliens, mutants, robots, and a variety of other threats. From reading the pitch, it seems to be something like a cross between Samurai Jack and One Piece.

Buzzu: A kids' sci-fi cartoon about an underachieving human student at a school for alien geniuses. I get a bit of a Galaxy High vibe from it, which isn't a bad thing to be honest. Looks like the sort of thing that would be right at home on Nickelodeon or Disney XD these days.

Procura Me: Another feature film, this one a detective thriller aimed at teens. The main character is a detective who is considered to be the greatest in the world and who is on the trail of a murderer in the capital city of an unnamed country. I did not expect Brazil to make this sort of mature, serious animation, and I'd love to see more like it.

Here's a link: https://www.scribd.com/document/3659536 ... oras-18-18
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Some little-known Brazilian cartoons

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 am

Watch Boy in the World it is one of my favorite animated films.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183630/

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:08 pm

What's your take on the cartoons I linked?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Lutas looks really good. I kinda wished they put some links to the original videos.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 pm

I thought Cordelicos--The Desert Pirates looked fascinating. I know I said it looked like a cross between One Piece and Samurai Jack, but I also get a distinct Adventure Time vibe from it.

Return to “Film and Video”