Assassin's Creed

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Assassin's Creed

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:44 am

Somehow there's no topic for this series? The Currently Playing topic has encouraged truly bad habits. Including in me!

After a hiatus I resumed my playthrough of Assassin's Creed 3 to try to finish it before the warm weather gets here and changes what I want to play.

This game is so buggy! :kaos_miffed: This one time (not recently), right in the middle of a cutscene, facial animations stopped working and the characters talking all continued to do so with unmoving jaws. Then, just tonight, I finished the Battle of Bunker Hill only for the cutscene to seemingly cut short! Or does it really end that abruptly, nearly clipping off Putnam's words?

I hear Assassin's Creed Unity is much worse about the bugs. What about 4, which is what I'll inevitably play next in the series?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:26 pm

I can't remember encountering any bugs in the PS3 version of AC4. From what I've heard, Unity has been mostly fixed by patches now. It has also dropped to $20 for a new copy on Amazon, so I'll be picking it up for the PS4 very soon.

If you think the bugs in AC3 are bad now, wait until you get to New York, the official city of psychotic redcoats. Their AI is so damn buggy that I routinely got shot at for walking past them on the street, and several times for walking out of a general store. The only reason I play 3 anymore is to replay Haytham Kenway's arc.
Major early-game spoiler  SPOILER: Show
Haytham is best templar. ^_^

*Edit* Unity is more than $20 on Gamestop, sorry about that. Amazon was offering it for $20 but they're out of stock at the moment. I don't know why I thought it was $20 at Gamestop as well.
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Redacted]

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Big fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise here. Every year, the new Assassin's Creed is one of the most (if not THE most) anticipated games for me. Having played them all until now (except Rogue) i always give my kudos to Ubi for managing to release a game like AC every year. Of course they have a good plan with many different teams (for example Ubi now is working on AC 2015-2016-2017, so yeah the 3 next ACs already). The team that now is making Victory (this year's AC) will start working on AC 2018 soon.

Anyway let's get a little bit more into the topic. I played Assassins Creed 3 on PC and i never encountered any major bugs, except one time that the game froze when i entered in a house for a mission. I don't remember very well the Battle of Bunker Hill so i can't say for sure but the game had some cutscenes ending a bit fast and weird. Check a Youtube walkthrough if you want to be sure (i am sure you aren't missing anything important tho, even if you don't want to check).

Assassins Creed 4 is mostly 3 just a lot more polished and with more navy battles. Game truly gives you a pirate feel and i liked that aspect of the game a lot. I was also a fan of the naval battles from 3.

I advise you to play Rogue next. It's the final part of the ''trilogy'' that starts with 3, continues with 4 and ends with AC Rogue. Rogue has the same feeling with 3 and 4 but story is different this time. You are an assassin that becomes a templar on a quest for revenge against your friends-Assassins.

As for Unity, yeah it's very buggy. Don't know if they released a new patch lately but last time i played it, it was still a mess. Great game, Paris is amazing, graphics jaw-dropping (if you can handle it) and a good story with a strong cast.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:27 am

For those of us who have played Black Flag, 3, Rogue, or Freedom Cry, which game's ship is your favorite? And which sea shanties do you like the most? My favorite ship is the Morrigan, Shay's ship from Rogue. It might be smaller and weaker than Edward's Jackdaw or Adewale's Experto Crede, but it's also faster and has a much smaller turning radius, which makes all the difference in areas like the American River Valley. Plus the fully upgraded version looks so freaking badass!

My favorite shanties are The Derby Ram (AC4), New York Girls (ACR), and Jolly Roving Tar (ACR).
[Redacted]

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:01 am

I don't really have a favorite ship but my favorite shantie has to be "Leave her Johnny". I love its melancholic tone.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:11 pm

^My autism can't handle that ship design and those gun descriptions, goddamn. Whatever, I've been enjoying AC4, I'm surprised they managed to pull it out of the bag really.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:If you think the bugs in AC3 are bad now, wait until you get to New York

You weren't kidding. :kaos_miffed: I haven't had to deal with psychotic redcoats, but I had a really frustrating time with this one sidequest-giver (farmer, liberation mission) who kept repeating himself instead of finishing his shpiel, and when I tried to fix the problem by getting off my horse the horse kept pacing trying to occupy a space it couldn't stop on.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:48 pm

So I finally picked up a copy of France France Revolution (AC Unity) for $20 new on Amazon, and I've got to say I'm impressed. After patching the game is mostly bug-free. I'm about halfway through the story right now. Compared to previous games a lot of features have been removed. There's only one save slot, hidden blade is context-specific instead of being a freely usable weapon, civilians cannot be hit with melee weapons (guns still work), and no ships or naval combat (probably because Paris is 90% land :tongue: ). They made some really dumb design decisions too, such as not adding a 'quit game/return to title screen' option in the pause menu and severely gimping the weapon selection. You can only carry 2 weapons at a time max (melee weapon and pistol). Or if you want to use a long gun like a blunderbuss or a rifle, get ready for that to be YOUR ONLY WEAPON because it takes up both slots. :facepalm: At least they do let you use the long gun as a club if the enemy gets too close, though, but it's still stupid. Oh, and in order to switch your weapon loadout you have to PAUSE THE GAME and manually select the weapons you want from the customization menu. I should add that you must be anonymous and standing upright in order to do that (as if that makes any more logical sense than the weapon select wheel did).

Now on to the good parts: Paris is beautiful. Still screenshots don't do this game justice. The hordes of (literally hundreds of) NPCs crowding the streets make the place feel so alive too, which is a feeling I never got in the previous AC games. While your ability to select weapons may be gimped, there is a much greater variety of them compared to any other AC game. You can even use duckfoot pistols and polearms! And while the default outfits suck, the devs actually included the outfits of the previous AC heroes as bonus content skins! I just put on Shay Cormack's outfit from AC Rogue and the problem is fixed! I can now equip normal clothes underneath it purely for their stats and not have to worry about looking ugly. :D Sadly Haytham's outfit didn't make the cut, else I'd be rockin' that on the Paris streets. The main character Arno also doubles as comic relief, being the type to act before he thinks (like the time he set a building full of gunpowder on fire and realized he made a slight miscalculation: he was still inside!) and frequently upsetting his fellow assassins.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Assassin's Creed

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:20 am

I'm near the end of Assassin's Creed 3. Way behind, I know -- there's been like 3 more A'sCreed games released since I started playing*. I dropped it for most of a year due to the seasonal nature of my gaming habits, but now I've picked it back up again and I'm surprised at the degree to which it's like the interruption never happened.

Sequence 11 (near the ending)  SPOILER: Show
I didn't pick this back up just tonight, so what compelled me to comment on the game only now is that I just completed the game's penultimate sequence and, well...

Why the fuck did they throw away Haytham's buildup by having him die in a lackluster surprise duel with Connor during a mission to hunt down his second-in-command? I was fully expecting to kill Charles Lee and then have an epic, climactic final showdown with Haytham. What I got instead was a duel that felt like a footnote on the way to something more important, and a horribly anticlimactic waste of what had become a really interesting dynamic between the two and a really sweet buildup for Haytham. Dude just did not deserve to go out like this.

Did they just want to be unpredictable, or something? The out-of-nowhere duel with Haytham is certainly a surprise, but not the good kind -- it turns it into just a thing that happened on the way to killing a much less interesting and more forgettable character, and it avoids all kinds of interesting potential story developments I was expecting. Defying expectations is not a virtue in itself -- there's a reason classic formulas become classic formulas. (It's funny that this should happen when just earlier today, related to nothing, I was musing about writing choices I remembered, in a wrestling program I used to watch, that similarly defied expectation with similarly dissatisfying results.)

I went into AC3 with limited expectations after the series moved on from its chief character appeal water-carrier (who managed to hold my interest in his story through three whole games), but Haytham and Connor pleasantly surprised me, the former with an emphasis on the "pleasant" (because I like him a lot) and the latter with an emphasis on the "surprise" (because I like him a lot better than I expected to). To see that marred by such a bad swerve in the writing is ... disappointing, which is sad because up until that I had gotten more excited for the game's story than I'd ever been before.

I can only hope that Black Flag manages to pull off something as interesting to me as AC3 did, but this time not waste it at the end.

* It's actually only one game, because I started playing right after the release of Rogue and Unity, but a difference of mere weeks would have made the statement true.
System Administrator

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:10 pm

^
SPOILER: Show
Haytham getting killed off really pissed me off. I still hope one day they'll make a dedicated Haytham Kenway game, he needs his own game. I actually have a dedicated save in ACIII during the prologue just so I can play as him whenever I want.
[Redacted]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu May 12, 2016 4:07 am

Trailer's out.

https://youtu.be/gfJVoF5ko1Y

Only bothering thing is Kanye.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm

So far, all the leaked information about AC: Odyssey has it set sometime during the Peloponnesian War, putting it almost 450 years before ACO, and conisidentally, there will be no Assassins present in game. However, you will be equipped with a Piece of Eden, "The Spear of Leonidas" and will be playing as either a male or female Spartan warrior.

So, long story short, we may be seeing the founding of the Template, or at least the organization known in ACO as "The Order" which makes this a very interesting title.

Also, considering the game is is coming out this year, it looks like Ubisoft is back to annual game releases.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I've never played an AC, but I might give this one a try. I really like the setting. ^_^
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm

I wonder what Assasins Creed Origins is like, which it’s interesting RPG system
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”