Anyone else feel dislike towards EoE nowadays?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

ZQFMGB
Embryo

Re: Anyone else feel dislike towards EoE nowadays?

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 am

Well, I feel a bit salty about the ending and Shinji don't getting in the fucking robot when he can, but I still think it's a great Eva movie (after all, Evangelion isn't supposed to make me feel comfortable). So, subjectively, yes, I feel dislike towards some elements of EoE.

Amitch91
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch91 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:56 am

View Original PostZQFMGB wrote:Well, I feel a bit salty about the ending and Shinji don't getting in the fucking robot when he can, but I still think it's a great Eva movie (after all, Evangelion isn't supposed to make me feel comfortable). So, subjectively, yes, I feel dislike towards some elements of EoE.

Agreed in terms of the ending, because it isn't a conclusive ending (meaning that we are unsure of what happens after Shinji and Asuka re materialise) but, i like that, i like that i can have my own theories on what happens after, so, in all, a slight bit of dislike towards the ending, but thats all

fnikhall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fnikhall » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:48 am

Honestly I've always been partial to the TV ending. Maybe it was because I saw it first, I don't know, but I really felt more of a message come through that ending than EoE. EoE seemed to just jam everything explainable in the last half and it seemed too condensed imo. I liked the pacing of the TV ending better and I felt like it conveyed its message better. Having said that, I still love EoE too. It's all sorts of crazy, but in a good way. And all of the animation is fantastic and fluid and it is more entertaining to watch than the TV ending. So I like both for different reasons but if I had to choose one I would choose TV over EoE.

MetroidHatchling
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MetroidHatchling » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:43 pm

I just (right now) finished watching EoE for the first time in about 15 years. I didn't like it at all the first time I saw it and pretty much have ignored its existence ever since. Reading through this thread made me curious about it again though, so I rewatched it. It's still as weird and messed up as I remember it. I'm still not sure I really understand it very well or feel like I relate to it as well as EoTV. I really love NGE's ending and imo EoE is a pretty unnecessary ending. However, I do like some of the insights you get from EoE that aren't apparent in NGE like what Seele is trying to do, what Gendo's ultimate goal is and how he was going to go about doing it. I can't remember if Magi being Ritsuko's mother was mentioned in NGE or not, but there was certainly a lot more shown regarding the reality of what was happening rather than going straight into the emotions and symbolism like EoTV did. So I think it's an interesting window into the world and understanding a lot of the background stuff that's going on. (Also Eva 02's fight with the mass produced evas was pretty cool up to that horrific end.)

I'm not sure about Shinji's character in this though. He seems very different from NGE. I guess in this he's just broken down so much that he's hardly even the same person but I dunno. I guess they were trying to depict that he was really at his absolute limit. I really liked the scene with Misato at the elevator, probably my favorite scene in the movie, and it seemed like that would've motivated him to pull himself together a bit but it actually seemed to make him break down even more.

I don't know how I feel about EoE now. Part of me has warmed up to it a bit as maybe a kind of morbid fascination? But still part of me feels disgusted by it and appalled by what I saw. I remember being in complete disbelief when I first saw it as a kid, just absolutely shocked and horrified thinking "Why is everyone dying? That's not okay! What is going on!?" and being furious at Shinji for letting Asuka die and choking her. I didn't understand it AT ALL. I feel like I can a bit more now that I'm much older, but I still... don't like it. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of it. It's certainly an interesting piece of film and animation but it's kind of painful to watch. I started thinking about halfway through "Why am I watching this again? Am I trying to hurt myself?" I don't really know what sort of message I'm supposed to take away from it. What was the deal with the beach scene? I thought he just went through a whole monologue about how he was gonna try to accept life and seek happiness and the next thing he does is choke Asuka and start sobbing and then credits. I don't get it...

I don't regret watching it again. It's definitely something I've been meaning to see again for a while, but it's something I'm unlikely to watch again any time soon. Anyway, those are my thoughts as someone who just rewatched it for the first time since I was a kid.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”