Silent Hill

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Silent Hill

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:03 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Any interest in playing SH3?

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:You got a copy of Silent Hill 3 yet, Blue?

Oh, absolutely! I installed 3 on my PC around the same time I installed 4, it's just that I played 4 first because it always seemed to be the most interesting to me, knowing the little bits and pieces I did about it, i.e. being trapped in the room, traversing through portals, ghosts, hauntings/possessions, serial killer antagonist, et cetera. I'm hoping to start 3 soon, however, I was thinking about revisiting RE7 sometime as well, as I am yet to play any of the extras or DLC.

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I liked a lot of what you said, especially about the game being this close to being a masterpiece. Maybe if it featured a couple more world or something??

Yeah, adding a couple more worlds would've definitely helped, especially if they were of the standard of the Water Prison or Apartment Worlds. I think, all up, to really make this game all it had could've been, it would need a) more depth and polish to the worlds and content already there b) further development in the apartment and its mechanics c) refinement of the story with better emotional hooks and d) puzzles, puzzles and more puzzles! I enjoyed the enhanced combat but I sorely missed the puzzle-work.

I still liked 4 a lot, and it's captured my imagination, but I can't help but think it could've been another perennial Silent Hill entry like 2. It kind of feels half-baked as it is.

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:When I played I got the bad ending, which was kind of a bummer, but I got the In Water ending in 2 without trying so at least I got that.

I think the only reason I got the good ending was because, over the years, I kind of spoiled myself a little here and there on games 1-4, their endings, and the ending requirements. Not too much, but just enough, like knowing to protect your companion, heal yourself, that kind of thing. You might recall I was trying to get the 'Maria' ending in SH2 (lol) and Good+ in SH1. I ended up getting the 'Leave' and Good endings respectively. I can definitely see most players getting the "worse" ending on their first times through with little to no fore-knowledge to serve.

Also, it still blows my mind that in 2 both 'Leave' and 'In Water' can be equally seen as the definitive endings, and make the game and story feel utterly final/complete, after having experienced them. Joy, I kind of envy you getting 'In Water' first time around. 'Leave' is beautiful but I imagine getting 'In Water' would've been like having a hole punched through your soul, much like EOE, an emotional bruising you will never forget.

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I played 1 last July, but I don't have too much of a memory of it for some reason...

Man, I love the first game, and it scared the absolute shit out of me (being down in the deep dark of the school and hospital profoundly affected me), which 2 and 4 didn't quite manage, though obviously their strengths lie elsewhere. It really is an ambiguous, stark, mist-drenched monolith of a game, where you have to piece together the story with what little thread it gives, all whilst instilling such a sense of awe-struck and dread.

I would love to pour over the first game again in more detail, and write about it at-length, but I may save that for my inevitable replay.

Oh, yeah, I hear you on the work thing too man: I work a full 40+ hour week and, sadly, I still end up working late into most weeknights, even doing a full day on the weekend usually, just to stay on top. Shit is just hectic.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:40 pm

With the world shutting down and losing my job I got a chance to beat a lot of video games I hadn't been able to get to before, and one of those was Silent Hill 3, which was the only game I hadn't played through of the first four. I played through them in the 2,4,1,3 order, which wasn't all that bad since I think 2 & 4 are slightly connected, and then 1 & 3 are as well.

Anyways, I think I basically liked them in that order too, coincidentally enough. I liked the characters in 3 a lot, and I thought Heather was a pretty well written and believable character, but the game never really grabbed hold of me and captured my imagination like 2 and 4 did. Maybe it just wasn't weird enough, or that none of the settings really gave me the heebie jeebies. The subway and the mall just felt kind of dull to me. Or it might just be that I'm more used to the scares and tone of Silent Hill now so it doesn't affect me as much. IDK! But it never felt like a chore to play and I'm sad that I've played through each of the first four, it was kinda nice having one to still look forward too :) Also, I had to restart the game once because the puzzles on the Hard setting were too much for me. If you've played through it on the Hard setting without a guide, you have won my eternal respect.

My buddies partner has a copy of Shattered Memories so I think I'll give that a go once the weather starts getting cooler around here, I need a good **atmosphere**. Also, I keep wanting to do a replay of Silent Hill 2 but I'm a little worried since the first time I played through it is one of my fondest gaming memories and what if I don't like it as much?! :)
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote: Also, I had to restart the game once because the puzzles on the Hard setting were too much for me. If you've played through it on the Hard setting without a guide, you have won my eternal respect.
Same thing happened to me. Damn crematorium puzzle.

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:My buddies partner has a copy of Shattered Memories so I think I'll give that a go once the weather starts getting cooler around here, I need a good **atmosphere**. Also, I keep wanting to do a replay of Silent Hill 2 but I'm a little worried since the first time I played through it is one of my fondest gaming memories and what if I don't like it as much?! :)
Enjoy. SM is my second favorite game in the series. Also, don't worry about SH 2. Love never dies after all. ^_^
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm

I played 1-3 with Zap the past week to celebrate Halloween, and dang, they were all so excellent! (Our playthrough resulted in SH: Good+, SH2: Leave, SH3: Normal, though we watched everything else on YouTube.) 3 was definitely my favorite, in how it blended 1's horror with 2's introspective moments.

In Water was painfully beautiful (and IMO the "canon" ending for 2, though it's easy to see how they could all work). Mira's Dog End is forever canon

Donna Burke really knocked it out of the park as Angela and Claudia both, but I'm just biased in liking her due to MGS, probably :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”