Is there any good NGE fanfic?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Is there any good NGE fanfic?

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm

View Original Postbarnett wrote:I'd love to read more EVA fanfic but I could not care less about AU, crossovers, or time travels.

Well, if your idea of fun is rethreading the exact same plot over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... I won't stop you. No offense, but complaining about writers deviating from canon is easy until you realize that there's not much motivation in writing something you know your audience has already read dozens of times over for longer than some of said audience have been alive.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:38 pm

There are many ways to extend a story with something new which respects canon while not doing any violence to it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:48 pm

View Original Postbarnett wrote:I discovered this thread only after the last post and found it very interesting as I completely agree with Bagheera's first post.
I'd love to read more EVA fanfic but I could not care less about AU, crossovers, or time travels.

None of the above are in this one:
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... acy.47239/
(and yes, i'm desperate for reads. Creative writing can be lonely :sniffle: )
Well, if your idea of fun is rethreading the exact same plot over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... I won't stop you. No offense, but complaining about writers deviating from canon is easy until you realize that there's not much motivation in writing something you know your audience has already read dozens of times over for longer than some of said audience have been alive.

Ever heard of a sequel? prequel? midquel? (any other type I should mention?)

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Prequel OK.

Midquel, don't really feel the attraction of.

Sequel... only makes me feel like the author thinks he/she can outdo the original. So, no.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

barnett
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby barnett » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 am

@amitakartok sorry for the late reply. I feel like others have already answered with objections similar to the ones I would have made.
it's maybe a bit tricky, because Bagheera mentioned some ground rules that some (me included) can feel """objective""" for writing "good" fanfic. but these ground rules are ultimately rooted in a very specific idea of what fanfic should be.
I've no problems with you having your own ideas in what you want to read in an Eva fanfic. I'm simply arguing that I really don't find that approach interesting, even though it's the dominant one.

@penpen thanks I'll try it!

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:
Sequel... only makes me feel like the author thinks he/she can outdo the original. So, no.

You're confusing a sequel for a reboot. A sequel that doesn't build off the lore isn't really a sequel, it's just being marketed as one.
Many sequels do try that trick, but as always, I look at art for the peaks, not the valleys

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Me too. It's just that when you look at the absolutely massive devastation in the Hakone region by Third Impact and see a sequel flat-out ignore both it and the massive, irrecoverable trauma the kids went through during the whole ordeal in favor of returning to the mid-show status quo for high school shenanigans and slap-slap-kiss teen romances... you kinda start questioning why it calls itself a sequel when the author is completely and utterly missing the very message behind Evangelion.

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Me too. It's just that when you look at the absolutely massive devastation in the Hakone region by Third Impact and see a sequel flat-out ignore both it and the massive, irrecoverable trauma the kids went through during the whole ordeal in favor of returning to the mid-show status quo for high school shenanigans and slap-slap-kiss teen romances... you kinda start questioning why it calls itself a sequel when the author is completely and utterly missing the very message behind Evangelion.

Honestly, the same problem arisies in au's or time travel, or any of that game. It's no so much a "sequel" thing as a, general, zazk snyderish drive to write for "moments" rather than for the story. IMO, you should always start with an honest interpretation of where you think the characters of the original work are before tackling what you feel they have the most room to grow with.

The "big moments" should be determined by what works best for the individual character arcs. Ditto for relationships. You could argue that themes should be thought of before the characters, but I feel differently. IMO, themes should be based on where the characters need to go, not vice versa.

FYI, The first two episodes of my story do read as the sort of the story you're describing, but they're used as an illusion(metaphorically) to heighten the tension when the conflicts are introduce and symbolize an illusion the main characters buy into and only get past close to the end of the story after a variety of new traumatic experiences.

That's why I ask all new readers to read the first three episodes before coming to a judgement. My main objective is to not make the psuedo sequel you're describing, so I don't want readers to think otherwise.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:26 am

I know how that feels. My story, although seemingly an AU and a crossover, is actually 100% canon-compliant in a way that won't be revealed for at least 250,000 words in. In the past two months, the first chapter had 50+ hits per month on FF.net, which dropped into single digits by the third chapter in April and by the second chapter in May - but those who stick with it and keep reading almost universally praise it as criminally underrated. Why? Because it's a very slow-paced and mostly somber story with a focus on character interaction, rather than the instant-gratification romcom crack that's all the rage nowadays at Sufficient Velocity and Spacebattles.

Hell, I actually had one reviewer on FF.net flat-out ask if me having marked the story as Kaworu/Asuka was a lie meant to draw in new readers because they still aren't crushing on each other 140k words in.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

pwhodges wrote:It's very short on Rebuild-related works; jcmoorehead's for instance: Hand Cannot Erase and You Must (Not) Run Away.

Thank you so much for mentioning my works ^_^

Means a hell of a lot to have my work recommended on here, I'm always a little bit under-confident when it comes to promoting my stuff, so I'm qutie surprised when I see people recommend it to others.

---

For the above discussions I guess for me when it comes to fanfic I do generally lean towards Asuka?Shinji romance type works. That sin't necessarily all I'll read, if it interests me then I'll give it a go and see what it is like but those things will draw me in initially, I'm a sucker for WAFF.

Never really been too bothered if it's AU/Sequel or deviation, as long as the author can justify it then I don't mind.

PenPen4life
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby PenPen4life » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I know how that feels. My story, although seemingly an AU and a crossover, is actually 100% canon-compliant in a way that won't be revealed for at least 250,000 words in. In the past two months, the first chapter had 50+ hits per month on FF.net, which dropped into single digits by the third chapter in April and by the second chapter in May - but those who stick with it and keep reading almost universally praise it as criminally underrated. Why? Because it's a very slow-paced and mostly somber story with a focus on character interaction, rather than the instant-gratification romcom crack that's all the rage nowadays at Sufficient Velocity and Spacebattles.

Hell, I actually had one reviewer on FF.net flat-out ask if me having marked the story as Kaworu/Asuka was a lie meant to draw in new readers because they still aren't crushing on each other 140k words in.

Link me(and maybe give my sequel a try?)

Return to “Fanfiction”