I feel like Shinji will withdraw from everyone in 1.0+3.0

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Sachiel

I feel like Shinji will withdraw from everyone in 1.0+3.0

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon May 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Shinji was already pretty fragile and withdrawn before, but after trying to get close to others and it always going horrifically wrong, plus his interactions with two people in particular causing immense harm to both the entire planet and his personal psyche, I believe Shinji will become repressed and antisocial in FINAL. He'll likely push away or ignore others no matter what. Even if someone he becomes close to is endangered, he will do nothing because of what happened when he tried to save Rei. If he does eventually pilot (which is very unlikely in the first place), he'll likely be as passive and out-of-the-way as possible to avoid interfering or interacting with anything. If even this fails him, I don't think it's too far fetched to believe he'll completely lose his mind and voluntarily activate beast mode in hopes he can destroy everything so that no one will feel pain again, a much more literal and physical approach to what he did in End of Evangelion.
I've reached a point where I just generally don't give a fuck anymore. In a good way.

Lennik
Tunniel

Re: I feel like Shinji will withdraw from everyone in 1.0+3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 pm

I think this depends on what Wille does with him. If Misato gives him nothing to do except wander the ship and try not to break anything, I assume he'll spend a lot of time making himself as scarce as possible and speaking to no one unless they initiate conversation with him. In that case, I think his guilt and shame will be debilitating; he'll keep his head down and try to go unnoticed, because he thinks that every time anyone on the crew looks at him, they'll be reminded of everything they've lost because of him. If this is what happens, however, it will be very hard for him to snap out of it.

However, that's dependent on Misato not giving him anything to do.

She could very well put him in some position on the ship where his talents, which are still considerable, could be useful. This could be anything from putting him in the kitchens and having him cook for the crew to putting him in an Eva on standby in case of emergency. I imagine his demeanor will be the same (quiet and brooding, because at this point he'll probably feel guilty just for smiling) but still active in doing his part to save the world.

Recently I've been thinking a lot about Guardians of the Galaxy and how important the walkman is to the characters and theme, and it reminded me of Shinji's SDAT. I couldn't help but imagine the cooking staff on the Wunder having a stereo but no music to listen to (the post-Third Impact world is rough) and Shinji bringing his cassette along, and when combined with his mastery at cooking, Shinji turns the mess hall of the Wunder into the coolest hangout on the ship. This would not only give him a way to contribute in a meaningful way toward morale, but also a way for him to bond with the crew and re-form some human connections.

I'm only half joking. I don't think Shinji's been listening to 70s classic rock on that SDAT, but a man can dream.

AdamMalkovitch
Sachiel

Re: I feel like Shinji will withdraw from everyone in 1.0+3.0

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:16 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:I think this depends on what Wille does with him. If Misato gives him nothing to do except wander the ship and try not to break anything, I assume he'll spend a lot of time making himself as scarce as possible and speaking to no one unless they initiate conversation with him. In that case, I think his guilt and shame will be debilitating; he'll keep his head down and try to go unnoticed, because he thinks that every time anyone on the crew looks at him, they'll be reminded of everything they've lost because of him. If this is what happens, however, it will be very hard for him to snap out of it.

However, that's dependent on Misato not giving him anything to do.

She could very well put him in some position on the ship where his talents, which are still considerable, could be useful. This could be anything from putting him in the kitchens and having him cook for the crew to putting him in an Eva on standby in case of emergency. I imagine his demeanor will be the same (quiet and brooding, because at this point he'll probably feel guilty just for smiling) but still active in doing his part to save the world.

Recently I've been thinking a lot about Guardians of the Galaxy and how important the walkman is to the characters and theme, and it reminded me of Shinji's SDAT. I couldn't help but imagine the cooking staff on the Wunder having a stereo but no music to listen to (the post-Third Impact world is rough) and Shinji bringing his cassette along, and when combined with his mastery at cooking, Shinji turns the mess hall of the Wunder into the coolest hangout on the ship. This would not only give him a way to contribute in a meaningful way toward morale, but also a way for him to bond with the crew and re-form some human connections.

I'm only half joking. I don't think Shinji's been listening to 70s classic rock on that SDAT, but a man can dream.

I hate to say this, but that seems far too optimistic for this new world. From what we've seen, everyone at WILLE is simply focused on survival, striking back at the remains of NERV when they can. Because of this, I predict Shinji will be locked up, not even allowed to roam, as to keep him from doing anything at all. It would actually likely be more merciful to kill him than detain and monitor him as heavily as I foresee. Misato and Ritsuko will take all possible precautions to keep Shinji from doing anything. Sure, when he returns Misato will likely break down after thinking she killed him (there's no way the crew wouldn't be able to tell that the choker didn't perform it's directive), and no one was able to report to WILLE that Shinji lived, as Mari simply ejected his plug and vanished, and Asuka lost communication with WILLE after ejecting her own plug from Unit 02 Dash, but I doubt Misato will allow Shinji any freedom at all.
I've reached a point where I just generally don't give a fuck anymore. In a good way.

Return to “Evangelion Final [SPOILERS]”