What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ That's even addressed in EoE, where Shinji wonders how he is supposed to know anything if she never tells him.

That it is, though that just highlights how much that approach to social interaction only serves to drive a wedge between people.

Incidentally, you just brought up one of my issues with the series, that being the fact it brings up the genetic similarities between Lilim and the Angels and then never brings it up again. End got tasked with resolving that plot point (and quite a few others), but because of the short run time and the fact End has its own plot to address it's simply answered in a line of exposition from Misato.

Initially I just chalked that up to the series' production trouble, but even then I eventually went "Wait... How do you know that?" And yes, I know she read it from the files, but that only shifts the question to "How and when did NERF figure this out." If being that genetically similar is enough to be called human, chimpanzees are also human.

As an aside, the revelation that the Angels are human is a great twist for shining a spotlight on the concept of the Other, but Misato thus labelling the Lilin as an Angel results in the two terms meaning exactly the same thing, which is less a problem with the series and more a headache in trying to discuss it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:11 am

I saw it as Angels being, metaphorically, more primitive humans.
But just as us, they want to return to "the womb", and also feel alone/afraid.
I hadn't thought about it, you are right that EoE really abandons the Angel idea, but I wonder if Anno felt all was said.
The Armisael episode has a lot to unpack.
Honestly I have a hard time saying something more thoughtful than that, I slept very little today. :P
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 pm

It really was a shame that it was never expanded on and really made a point of through the series, like it should have been something Kaworu revealed to Shinji before he was crushed to death.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Thu May 31, 2018 6:04 am

The things I don't like are mostly in EoE. Shinji doing nothing most of the time, even after Misato's death, was really annoying, the exposition monologues were cheap and clumsy IMO and I don't know how I'm supposed to think as the ending as a "hopeful" one. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of the Magmadiver episode, and I think the religious stuff could've been exploited better than just look cool. Also, I wanted Unit 00 to kick more Angelic a**es, but that's just because I'm a big fanboy of it.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

∆ Shinji really can't do anything when he reaches Eva-01 because of the bakelite and everyone being dead.

And the ending you are allowed to see as happy, sad or whatever you want. It is left to the viewer.
I see it as positive, yet realistic.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 am

Good point, I forgot about the bakelite. As for the ending, well it's a matter of taste.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”