Rebuild outside of Evageeks: Many reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Cruel
Banned

Re: Rebuild outside of Evageeks: Many reactions

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sun May 27, 2018 6:48 am

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:>anti-Shikinami
>anti-Rei

Inconsistency kills, man.

I would be more apt to say that 2.x was pandering to fans in general - while there is a much greater amount of Rei-centrism and Asuka's Zeruel battle got thrown on Mari (really, what DOES she ultimately do, anyway? Make Unit-02 go cat mode?), the ultimate focus is on Shinji and that Anno definitely kept fans' most frequent criticisms of Shinji in mind - things are looking up, Rei's planning some things, there's some romantic drama, Gendo's gonna freaking sit down to eat with his son, Shinji actually saves Rei (or at least so we are led to believe) - 2.x basically corrects what most people perceive as irredeemable flaws in Shinji's character that many (including a number of people I've personally introduced to Neon Genesis Evangelion) would otherwise reject the series outright for.

3.x seems like a logical progression - it's a far more drastic interpretation of NGE's classic second-half atmospheric decline, but a lot of it is that it's TOO drastic (I will admit, I would've like to have seen something about the events of the time skip).

It's all for the sake to stone the stupid expectations of its arrogant fans to death. People have forgoten what Eva essentially is, that it reminds you, that you don't respect and appreciate Animes and other People as you should, that you don't confront the problems and instead ignore them.

In the end, its only about what you deserve from what you've done and that it should just end no matter how it 'll be.

It was for me with NGE, it won't be different with Rebuild when it ends.
Last edited by The Cruel on Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 27, 2018 7:21 am

I guess 2.x was pandering in some ways. Both NGE and NTE certainly give some gloriously over-the-top, killer fight scenes classic to the Mecha/Kaiju genres, whether it be in production level or style. I think that’s part of the reason Eva as a whole became so much more popular in mainstream Japan over its Mecha/Kaiju forerunners. Anno & Co. just spent way more effort than that those before them on the action goods early on before diving into the depths of dispare. If NGE has started off with the turmoil akin to either EoTV or EoE, or if NTE had started off as though it were Q, neither would have made as much of a cultural impact on Japan as it did.

Classic Eva, pandering to Japanese otaku. Who knew?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun May 27, 2018 1:12 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:3.x seems like a logical progression - it's a far more drastic interpretation of NGE's classic second-half atmospheric decline, but a lot of it is that it's TOO drastic (I will admit, I would've like to have seen something about the events of the time skip).

I'm not sure it is more drastic, it just takes a lot of the same beats and remixes them. FreakyFilmFan4Ever made a great post about it on page 2.

I think what makes it stand out so much more in 3.0 is that all the other characters went through the Descent Arc on their own while Shinji slept through it. He became similarly alienated from his friends and comrades in the TV show, but in the series you followed it step by step and Shinji was there with them the whole time. Everyone was in the same shitty sinking boat, including the audience. The movie drops him and us into what is basically a post-EoE world with an outsider's perspective which really brings into focus how shitty things have gotten compared to where they were beforehand.

I think the movie is also a little more blunt with certain reveals that were handled in a more roundabout way in the tv series. Like the reveal of what Rei is. Shinji finding out she's a clone is handled similarly in both versions. In the TV show I don't think it was directly spelled out that she was a clone of Yui. Episode 21 certainly leads you to that conclusion with Naoko realizing she looks just like Yui and the timing of her appearance. The movie has Fuyutsuki spell it out for you plainly, as well as the fact that Yui is Unit 01. But I also feel like that was the right way to handle things as those twists had been out in the world for nearly 20 years and weren't very different from the original. It would be like a new Star Wars movie building up to the reveal that Vader is Luke and Leia's father. No matter how well it's executed it's never going to land with the same punch because fans already know or suspect this reveal and the ground has already been tread before.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”