What did you expect going into the show?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

fukuda
Embryo

What did you expect going into the show?

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Who else expected Evangelion to be something dealing with gnosticism and theology? I could say that the idea of "Biblical Interpretation of Mechs" attracted me and the hope of Ascended Esoteric Knowledge?
I love you todoite kono omoi
kitto itsuka wa kanau yo ne
konna kimochi setsuna sugiru no

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Who else...

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Kinda hilarious you'd post this now given I just made this thread. #shamelessselfpromotion

All in all I like the Magitech approach Evangelion took with the stuff, even preferring it over the character psychology in some ways. Rebuild seems to lean more heavily on mysticism though.

fukuda
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fukuda » Sat May 05, 2018 8:47 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:Kinda hilarious you'd post this now given I just made this thread. #shamelessselfpromotion

All in all I like the Magitech approach Evangelion took with the stuff, even preferring it over the character psychology in some ways. Rebuild seems to lean more heavily on mysticism though.

Too bad the Rebuilds went with the name "Rebuild" and that they're sort of bad. All the hype I heard about Evangelion being a mind-fuck was all attributed to my expectation that it was out to prove that God exists or one of the themes of the Zohar. I guess with the Instrumentality representing Tikkun Olam, you could say it's still on its mysticism track, but it just doesn't satisfy as much as the hype did on with "THIS SHOW IS SOMETHING THAT GIVES YOU NIGHTMARES :D:D:D:DDDDD!!!"
I love you todoite kono omoi
kitto itsuka wa kanau yo ne
konna kimochi setsuna sugiru no

onegai tomete…
koi no yokushiryoku

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun May 06, 2018 3:21 am

View Original Postfukuda wrote:Too bad the Rebuilds went with the name "Rebuild"

They didn't - that's just the fan name for them. "Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01" is the name of a documentary, a bonus item on the DVDs/Blurays.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun May 06, 2018 8:10 am

Isn't "Rebuild" the name of the project as a whole? I remember seeing pictures of the staff with a "Rebuild" t-shirt.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Sun May 06, 2018 8:13 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Isn't "Rebuild" the name of the project as a whole? I remember seeing pictures of the staff with a "Rebuild" t-shirt.

My understanding is that Rebuild does refer to the project, but only became the name for it because of fandom adoption. Prior to that it was just a descriptor.

@fukuda: The actual name for the films is "Evangelion New Theatrical Edition" (Evangelion Shin Gekijoban).

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am

fukuda wrote:Who else expected Evangelion to be something dealing with gnosticism and theology? I could say that the idea of "Biblical Interpretation of Mechs" attracted me and the hope of Ascended Esoteric Knowledge?

I expected no such thing when I first watched it, it was anime and I was just hoping for good animation and a decent story. However, as I watched it, it was interesting to see what tidbits they had thrown in there, and that the show had amazing character depth.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 am

I remember always thinking it would be this edgy, nihilistic, pessimistic, hard to understand jumble of depression that shits all over it's fans, after all, that's how most people see it, how it's portrayed by people online. I vividly remember ironically picking up the first volume of the Sadamoto's manga adaption in the high school library and instantly being blown away by the art and realistic characters and their interactions. I made the quick decision after the first chapter to watch the series when I got home. I identified so strongly with Shinji that I binged the entire series, End of Evangelion, and all three New Theatrical films in a week, I was fuckin hooked.

God, I nearly vomited when I learned that that shot of Shinji looking at his hand during the opening sequence of AIR was a real thing and not doctored. I specifically remember closing my Chromebook to get up and walk around to try to process what the ever living fuck I just watched after both AIR and I Need You, and I remember checking over and over to make sure I was watching the right movie while streaming Q, making sure I didn't skip anything between it and Ha.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 08, 2018 7:11 am

Just for the future, thread titles should be descriptive and give you a good idea of the topic and contents. The original thread title, "Who else...", leaves a bit to be desired on this front, and is basically clickbait, so I'm fixing it.

Re: "Rebuild", my best understanding is that it was a provisional project title that was ultimately relegated to a buzz word for the process of creating the films.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Tue May 08, 2018 1:27 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Re: "Rebuild", my best understanding is that it was a provisional project title that was ultimately relegated to a buzz word for the process of creating the films.

Ah, so I had it backwards then. Thanks for clearing that up.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: What did you expect going into the show?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Sorta knew what I was getting into, didn't expect it to be so raw and real though.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat May 26, 2018 2:13 am

Nothing. I was barely stumbling over Eva a fiew times while reading doujins, saw some reviews without to spoil myself, heard it's one of the most importaint animes in history and when I did watched it, there was no turning back and since then for five years, Eva is a importaint part of my life now.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

barnett
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby barnett » Wed May 30, 2018 6:50 am

That's the best way. I discovered in TV years ago (starting from the second episode), and at the time I did not have internet at home. No spoilers, no reviews, no binge watching: an unadulterated experience.
What a rollercoaster it was!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”