What manga are you reading right now?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Banned

Re: What manga are you reading right now?

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:..in a few months.

The story takes place in the UK. I think it's safe to say they aren't as forgiving of that sort of thing as Japan is.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm

^I may have read your post wrong, but the age of consent in the UK is 16.

Anyway, I always thought that manga, based on the images I've seen of it, has some sort of sinister quality to it.

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I don't know how much this counts, since it's a very episodic manga that doesn't really have an ongoing storyline, but I've been binging on Franken Fran lately.
It pretty much presses all my buttons: biology, weird monster designs, medical anomalies, and dark comedy. The idea is that Fran (basically what you would expect Frankenstein's Monster to look like if you turned it into a cute anime girl) is a doctor who can. . . well, do anything basically. So you get one episode where a little girl's dog is hit by a car, so Fran puts its brain inside the corpse of an overweight middle-aged man that she just happened to have lying around. So of course the man starts acting like a dog, and even protects his owner from a mugger.
In another chapter, Fran invents a way for women to give birth painlessly--by giving birth to giant caterpillars that then spin cocoons and emerge as human babies. But a rival scientist steals the plans and releases them while they're still in the beta phase, which results in such things as the caterpillar-babies getting eaten by the family cat, infested by parasitic wasps, and thrown out with the garbage. Needless to say, the idea doesn't catch on.
If you can stomach the visuals, Franken Fran is awesome and sometimes hilarious. Why it hasn't been made into an anime yet escapes me.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 am

I'm reading Nausicaa, the Viz edition that comes in a box, two big volumes.
I started the manga once and stopped due to lack of time.
The art is amazing, and it really showcases how horrible war is. The movie was tame in comparison (in general it's pretty different).
I've only read 1/7 of it, it's supposed to get better and better.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 am

I was reading berserk but found it just to depressing even for my taste, so I switched to Chii's Sweet Home instead.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun May 20, 2018 5:50 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm reading Nausicaa, the Viz edition that comes in a box, two big volumes.

Nausicaä is in my top ten comics of all time, it's awesome, and to think that the movie only adapts the first three books or so (maybe less), when the manga goes up to seven. Not to mention that the crazier shit, the really good stuff, goes down towards the end. It really is Miyazaki's life's work; all those long years of hard work, pain and effort really resonate from the page. For me, it also dethroned Akira as my favourite 80s manga epic. The Viz release version you mentioned - the two oversized hardcovers in the boxset - is fantastic as well.

I'm overdue for a re-read sometime soon I think :emogendo:

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I was reading berserk but found it just to depressing even for my taste, so I switched to Chii's Sweet Home instead.

I've been meaning to start Berserk for years, but because so many of the earlier Dark Horse tankōbons are out of print, I've just never found the energy, nor the money, to track down all the volumes in the aftermarket, some of which go for exorbitant prices.

I keep telling myself I'll hold off until they start doing omnibus versions, like they're currently doing for Blade of the Immortal, I am a Hero and Gantz; but I think they only do that for series that have actually finished, and from what I know, like Vagabond, I could be waiting a long fucking time for that prospect.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 am

The ending to Nausicaa really is amazing, one of the best things Miyazaki has written and drawn.
I get why Anno wanted to make an animated version.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 pm

I have a question, and I suppose this is as good a place to put it as any.

See, there's a comic I read on the internet once (though I'm pretty sure it was originally a print comic) that I've been going insane trying to find. The plot revolved around a mutated woman with giant, freaky-looking hands living in a drainage pipe—a "sewer mutant", to use Futurama's parlance— who adopts an orphaned boy. It had a very distinct art style, something like Junji Ito though it wasn't actually by him. It was short, too; maybe 10 or 15 pages.
Any pointers?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 am

Managed to get my hands on a copy of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, vol. 1 of Part I, Phantom Blood.

This really has to be appreciated as parody of the first order. Everyone is so pathetically transparent with their intentions, and the plot is so heavily cliched... it's very much "so bad it's good".

And yet... and yet, it's actually good. It somehow manages to be both exquisite parody and good as a serious story as well.

SPOILER: Show
Dio is just pure unabashed evil. Almost stereotypically so, the way he clearly outlines his plans in thought bubbles for the reader. I mean, yes, you can tell he has a lot of depth/backstory to him... Much like the manga itself, Dio is both an amazing parody of the rival character, and a good character in his own right. It's really quite difficult not to hate him, in fact. (What is it with him and putting his thumb in Jojo's eye? Something seriously wrong with the man.)

Jojo, for his part, is a character worthy of sympathy. One can laugh at how overly trusting he is, but at the same time, who among us hasn't had a period of childlike naivete in our lives? Loss of innocence is a powerful event that we all go through.

(You were expecting a forum post, but it was me, Dio!)

I shall have to continue some day.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 am

I am going mention this here, both because I'm not sure where else to put it and because I feel the need to spare you from a horrifying fate. I was searching for Evangelion doujinshi the other day, when I encountered something not meant for mortal eyes.

Strap your arses in, lads, for I read. . .

I READ. . .

Gesuigai. No, I am not going to link to it, nor am I going to describe it. Suffice to say that the contents of this work would have driven a lesser man than myself permanently insane with the knowledge that such a thing existed in the world. I would liken the experience to coming face-to-face with one of H. P. Lovecraft's Old Ones, such was the unnatural wrongness I felt upon seeing it. It felt as though I was reading a work of fiction from an ersatz parallel universe that was somehow transported into ours.

In other words. . . seriously, guys, don't read it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

Noragami is back after a year's hiatus. Chapter 75 shows us the immediate consequences of Nora's kissing Yukine.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Why shouldn't a healthy young man be naked at home? (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Noragami is back after a year's hiatus. Chapter 75 shows us the immediate consequences of Nora's kissing Yukine.

You know, it's been months since I've watched Noragami, and when first I saw this post, I thought Nora was Yato. I was highly surprised.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Return to “Anime and Manga”