Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
neurasthenie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby neurasthenie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 am

@alexprevity
Thank you very much for the explanation!

View Original Postalexprevity wrote:Alternatively, you could extract the audio files from the MKV, mix them down yourself in Audacity with the surrounds hotter, make your own stereo audio track and mux it back into the MKV file!

That sounds interesting. I'm going to give it a shot. :)

View Original Postalexprevity wrote:It honestly depends on your computer's audio system or driver! I don't know of a way to mix the individual channels from a surround source. However, I am definitely considering cutting and mixing the music from the OST so it's at a nicer level! I would just need to know a high demand for it before I put in all of that work. I could do the same with 2.22 as well.

That would be a terrific project or we wait for the UK or the german release because the Eva 2.22 Blu-ray there seems to have a different audio mastering than the JP or US release. Watched it also on a stereo system and haven't experienced the same problems as with Eva 3.33 now. Maybe they will choose a different mastering again.

alexprevity
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alexprevity » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 am

No problem! Let me go ahead and run a few more tests to make sure turning up the surrounds will help alleviate the music/SFX relation issues. This will also turn up the surround effects and may make things sound odd. It wouldn't be fun to go through all of that trouble with no avail! I'll make three different versions for comparison (untouched, boosted surrounds, recut music) to see what ends up working the best.

That being said, which scene was the most problematic for you? Mine was:
SPOILER: Show
When Kaworu was giving his final talk to Shinji before his head turned into a tomato. The music/SFX relation here is pretty bad.

It would be nice to have a single scene to use as a test subject.

neurasthenie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby neurasthenie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Mine was during the whole final...

All the more when "From Beethoven 9" kicks in till "Gods Gift". The SFX there are really heavy while the gorgeous soundtrack is only fainting attachment in the background.

alexprevity
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alexprevity » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Okay! I'll work on that whole section to figure out what we can do about it.

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:30 pm

View Original Postneurasthenie wrote:Mine was during the whole final...

All the more when "From Beethoven 9" kicks in till "Gods Gift". The SFX there are really heavy while the gorgeous soundtrack is only fainting attachment in the background.

This, a thousand times this. This scene really is perfect for testing.

alexprevity
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alexprevity » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Alright then! I'll use this scene and post my results soon.

neurasthenie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby neurasthenie » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 am

A friend of mine took the extracted FLAC file from the UTW-THORA release and edited the volume of one channel with Audition a bit, as he said to me. When I play it now with VLC and set the audio device to 5.1, it seems remarkable better to me with my stereo headphones than before (the music strikes more out and the sound in general seems more opulent and not so noisy).

Could upload it overnight to uploaded.net, if you wish (~1,27 GB).

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Was there a solution?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

alexprevity
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alexprevity » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 am

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this! Anyways, I was trying to match the music up but it proved rather difficult. Even if they were seemingly aligned perfectly, it gave the music and very weird sound quality. Now that I have more time I can attempt to try another method for layering the music in there.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 am

I was watching the film on a computer and had the 6.1 sound on. That was the problem. I switched to the stereo sound and it is like it should be. I will hear the 6.1 when I buy the blu-ray (november in Spain). Does somebody know if there will be any problem if I use a 5.1 system and the film is 6.1?
Alexprevity, it would still be very interesting to see your results. Hearing Ode to Joy in all its glory in its scene must be epic. So good luck! ^_^
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I was watching the film on a computer and had the 6.1 sound on. That was the problem. I switched to the stereo sound and it is like it should be. I will hear the 6.1 when I buy the blu-ray (november in Spain). Does somebody know if there will be any problem if I use a 5.1 system and the film is 6.1?
Alexprevity, it would still be very interesting to see your results. Hearing Ode to Joy in all its glory in its scene must be epic. So good luck! ^_^

You should be fine, all PC audio codecs allow you to adjust the downmix to the speakers in fine detail, and considering even the cheapest Cambodian slave-labour built DVD players can also do this on screen for teevee viewing, I am sure stand alone blu-ray players can as well.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:21 pm

^ OK. Thanks!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Since I just saw the three movies in a cinema, I have to agree wit the OP : the musics in the theaters are far more present than in the BR version!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 pm

The complaint isn't really that common and given the fact it depends entirely on end-user setup its validity is dubious.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 am

Sorry for the necrobump, but I've looked at the audio files themselves. It's not an illusion. In the finale, the music almost doesn't exist. Someone seems to have messed up, and you can only improve it with a clever combination of volume modulation, compression, and virtual channel trickery.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Since I just saw the three movies in a cinema, I have to agree wit the OP : the musics in the theaters are far more present than in the BR version!

Lucky! Was it everything you imagined it would be and more?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:25 am

View Original PostGrub wrote:Sorry for the necrobump, but I've looked at the audio files themselves. It's not an illusion. In the finale, the music almost doesn't exist. Someone seems to have messed up, and you can only improve it with a clever combination of volume modulation, compression, and virtual channel trickery.

Did you look at the audio files in the 6.1 Surround Sound or the 2.0 Stereo Sound?

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:49 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Did you look at the audio files in the 6.1 Surround Sound or the 2.0 Stereo Sound?

Surround. The music is mixed quieter than it should be, and the sound effects are extremely loud. It's a miracle there's no music in the center track, allowing for more untainted control of the vocals than usual, as they're fairly loud as well.

The music is definitely better mixed in the theaters.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I’m not sure how up to speed with technology most Japanese theaters are. I know the 2.0 mix is really good, what with the perfect sound mix of music, sound effects, and dialogue. Maybe most theaters that screened this movie only were capable of playing (or only had) the 2.0 mix.

I’ve never actually listened to the 6.1 mix of this film, since I don’t have surround sound. So the sound quality will always be misrepresented if I play that mix.

Can you post screen caps of your findings?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Super Lightning Thread Bump

So, after much hard works and guts, I not have a fairly impressive 5.1 surround sound installed and calibrated to center of the viewing experience. It's an impressive system, even if I do say so myself. The two front stereo speakers have both tweeters and subwoofers capable of a frequency lower than that of most commercially available stand-alone subwoofers, so I technically have a 5.2 surround system. I also went into the audio settings of the blu-ray player and made sure that the decoding matched that of the Blu-ray Disc itself. (Bitstream Dolby.) But, anyway, using the automatic audio calibration device on the Sony 5.2 Surround Sound Receiver (the receiver itself also has 2 separate subwoofer outputs), the music mix is perfect. In fact, in the stuff before the opening title, it almost overpowered Asuka's dialogue.

All that so say, if you have your sound system calibrated properly, you should not be experiencing any issues with the music. But, seeing as how fewer audio systems are properly calibrated than even the TVs themselves, many peoples' experience with the sound may vary.

TL:DR: Properly calibrate your entire home theater system before use. This should take care of most issues.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”