Platinum Games general

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Platinum Games general

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon May 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Yeah so I recently got Anarchy Reigns for like $6 and it's pretty fuckin fun. Made me remember how much I ADORE the majority of Platinum's titles (with the exception of their licensed games which are pretty much all half-assed clusterfucks), so I thought I'd make this thread for all you other dorks like me who enjoy nothing more than making an immortal sex witch murder an evil god using bondage equipment and then punting her soul out of her body directly into the sun. Following are my thoughts on the Platinum titles that I've actually played, in the order I first played them.

Wonderful 101 [Wii U DEMO]: Ehhhhh, feels too clunky for my tastes. I love the idea, it feels very Boku no Hero Academia, but the unconventional way of summoning weapons, along with the camera angle being overhead makes it unsatisfying to summon weapons and unsatisfying to kick the shit out of enemies. I might try it again at some point, but it just felt bland for me.

Transformers DEVASTATION [PS3]: bleeeeeh, boring and either way too slow or way too fast movement wise. Maybe it's just cause I've never really been into them good ol' robots in disguise, but this just wasn't my thing. The most memorable part of this game is the brilliant cel-shaded aesthetic, and plowing through fuckers as a vehicle. Otherwise, just skip it.

Bayonetta [Wii U]: Fucking outstanding. I love the gothic designs of the environments combined with the jazzy, rockin, jpop, orchestral soundtrack. The overall look of the game feels very drab and brown however, I think Bayo 2 looked way prettier all around.

Bayonetta 2 [Wii U]: A goddamn masterpiece, my favorite Platinum game. Everything from Bayonetta 2 is carried over and improved. It looks better, it plays better, there's more polish everywhere, there's that badass new Umbran Climax where you can use your magic to summon demon limbs with every single attack (which I vastly prefer over the Torture Attacks personally), and not to mention, Bayo's new design is just, oh god it's so cool. The short hair makes it. The one thing I think Bayo 1 did better was the story, Bayo 2 felt way shorter and had less detail and character development than the first to me, I kept thinking the final boss was a fake out and got really excited when Bayonetta realized that she
SPOILER: Show
forgot Enzo in the ending cutscene.
I was so hoping that there was more to the game going after him but nope, it's played off as a joke when he just kinda... returns, with not much fanfare. Overall, B1 was good, and B2 was nearly perfect.

Star Fox Zero [Wii U]: It's so close, it's so fucking close to being good, but there are major, fundamental flaws that hold it back. I do attribute some issues like the subpar visuals and shallow story to development probably being split with the other chunk of Platinum working on NiER Automata, SonicTeam style (which I really really wanna fucking play), but that doesn't exclude the fact that the game is poorly designed. I get that Platinum wanted to do what they did with Wonderful 101 and integrate the gamepad into regular gameplay, but it's done so poorly here that it makes you wonder why they even bothered. The whole second screen thing becomes even more redundant when you figure out that you can just swap the TV and gamepad view whenever by just pressing -. The final boss was a bitch, one of the few times I've absolutely HAD to look up an online walkthrough in order to just progress a game's story, but otherwise, the game felt really weirdly easy, especially compared to Platinum's other titles. Is aight.

Anarchy Reigns [PS3]: This one's pretty damn fun, but it's a travesty because it's almost completely multiplayer focused, but with pretty much zero marketing, shit sales, no PC release, and lack of local multiplayer (my one major beef), you can only play 'multiplayer' matches in the simulator, which is still badass and fun, but it would undoubtedly be way cooler to go online and chainsaw a real player the fuck in half. The campaign I haven't gotten much into, but it seems alright. I totally get people's problems having to continually grind points to unlock the next story mission, but to me, the gameplay alone is just so fun and satisfying that I don't mind. The soundtrack to both this and Madworld are the second best part of the game behind the gameplay, not much else to say.

So is Infinite Space worth $50? I'm not really an RPG guy, but I'd be willing to try one by one of my favorite developers of all time, bastards are up there with Treasure, AM2, and Christian Whitehead for me.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Platinum Games general

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon May 07, 2018 4:06 pm

The Wonderful 101 is a really weird game and the demo makes it look 100 time worse than how it actually is, if you can buy it for a low price you should definitely give it a chance. After a few hours it gets really good.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The Wonderful 101 is a really weird game and the demo makes it look 100 time worse than how it actually is, if you can buy it for a low price you should definitely give it a chance. After a few hours it gets really good.

I'll definitely try to seek out a cheapo complete copy. I really want to get into it, but I might've just not been into character action games at the time, keep in mind that I tried the demo when I first got my Wii U, and it was the first Platinum anything I played. Thanks for the recommendation, Joseki!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue May 08, 2018 1:53 pm

I would also suggest you to play MGS:R, it's more of a "classic" action game with Raiden (MGS2's MC) as a playable character. It's very fun. The PC version is the best one if you have a decent hardware to run it, the framerate of the PS3/360 version isn't the best (like most console version of P* games).

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed May 09, 2018 10:26 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I would also suggest you to play MGS:R, it's more of a "classic" action game with Raiden (MGS2's MC) as a playable character. It's very fun. The PC version is the best one if you have a decent hardware to run it, the framerate of the PS3/360 version isn't the best (like most console version of P* games).

Oh shit, I totally forgot about that one! I fucking loved the demo, and I'm in the middle of playing though every Metal Gear game for the first time right now using the Legacy Collection on PS3. I've never actually played any of them before this, and I'm gonna start 2 Sons of Liberty soon. I plan on getting a computer that can actually run shit in the first month of summer, and Rising Revengeance is totally on my Steam wishlist for after I finish 4 Guns of the Patriots.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 am

I'm gonna start 2 Sons of Liberty soon

Prepare for one of the weirdest and most interesting games ever.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Prepare for one of the weirdest and most interesting games ever.

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago I was an idiot who never thought I'd play the Metal Gear series and watched YouTube user GaLm's surprisingly professional and entertaining playthrough of MGS and 2 Sons of Liberty, but thankfully it was just those two. I don't remember a ton about 2 except for the infamous endgame and the hauntingly beautiful credits track, so I'll definitely still enjoy it. I'm glad I've taught my dumb ass to refrain from any and all spoilers for everything as I may someday take up an interest in it and play or read or watch it for myself.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

It is impossible to properly remember MGS2, it's like a fever dream.
But yeah I have that same stance that you have now.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”