Evangelion Soundtrack Is So Good?!?!?!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

aependell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby aependell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 am

I recently totally legally acquired lossless files of every single release of or related to the Evangelion soundtrack. Shiro Sagisu is an absolute master and I can't seem to find any track from Eva's soundtrack that I really dislike!

From the three volumes of the original show's soundtrack with the nostalgia is evokes for the series and the groundwork for all the memorable motifs and vibes, the DEATH soundtrack with its somewhat disorienting and experimental-sounding Cello tracks, the EoE soundtrack with its grand epic scale and that beautiful Komm, Susser Tod, to the soundtracks of the new films with their higher budget orchestral compositions, remakes of the classic soundtracks, mixing multiple old tracks into impressive new ones, and all the great singles (Utada Hikaru, anyone?), the soundtracks just never cease to amaze me.

I think the only gripe I can really give them is how Shiro handled the release of the soundtracks for the Rebuild films. Or maybe the music label was responsible. For Eva 1.0, first we got Music From Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone, which had all the main tracks used in the film with,,, French track names? Whatever, I've gotten used to not questioning artistic decisions in Eva-land. :p

But, later we got a different album, Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone Original Soundtrack, which had more tracks, and contained more of the exact mixes of the tracks used in the film, and other extra tracks like the music that might be playing on the radio in a scene, and for some reason the French track names were abandoned in favor of, like, what is this? Production codes? "Oh man, my favorite track from the soundtrack for 1.0 has to be EM05B#070720" :/

So with Evangelion 2.0, we only get an "Original Soundtrack" release, no "Music From" release. And this time, the production codes are different, and a few of those tracks have actual names alongside the production codes! "Yeah, I liked 2EM18_KK_C01, but what about 2EM33_0902 The Final Decision We All Must Take?" hhhh

3.0 mixes things up again by this time only having a "Music From" release! And this one has track names with the name of the song followed by a production code! AAAAA

They sound great, but I'll never be able to remember their names! XD Things were so simpler with just the NGE OST.

What are your favorite tracks from all of the soundtracks? Whether it be your favorites from all the music ever released or your favorites per album, I'd love to hear them!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion Soundtrack Is So Good?!?!?!

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 pm

I think people don't talk enough about the OST actually. I love it.
I'm little by little collecting all the CDs that have come out.

Btw, 2.0 had a "music from" release, it was the second CD in a special edition, and the 3.0 "edited version" came with the first copies of the Japanese blu-ray.
Hopefully we will get a wider release one day. ^_^
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

aependell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby aependell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think people don't talk enough about the OST actually. I love it.
I'm little by little collecting all the CDs that have come out.

Btw, 2.0 had a "music from" release, it was the second CD in a special edition, and the 3.0 "edited version" came with the first copies of the Japanese blu-ray.
Hopefully we will get a wider release one day. ^_^

Ah, lucky! I want to collect the CD's too, but good quality ones from reliable sellers on eBay are always like $25 or higher. One time I tried to find a good copy of the S2 Works CD and M E G A O O F that shit was like $500.

Also, yeah, looking back at my lossless files now I see there's a second disc with the "Music From" style. And that thing about the 3.0 edited release sounds annoying >.> What is it with Japan and limited edition Japan-only releases? THINK OF THE WESTERNERS!!!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 pm

In terms of all soundtracks across the franchise, I think that Sagisu peaked with his work for EOE. It contains some truly mesmerizing orchestral and choral pieces without it becoming cheesy or overblown....like the majority of his action tracks for the Rebuild films. I absolutely cannot fucking stand the overuse of deep booming male chanting in those scores.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 am

You sound emphatically uncertain about this.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 am

Yeah, it's a pain in the neck how some are so limited/expensive.
The S2 works I need to own some day as well. They are such an awesome concept.

@GuyNacks:
While EoE is one of my favourites as well, I feel Sagisu is improving more and more. I hadn't even considered somebody would dislike those OSTs, but opinions are opinions.
I'd say though the 3.0 and Shin Godzilla OSTs are masterpieces (I say this as somebody with probably average music knowledge).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 am

Around a few years ago (I think 2016), one of our local broadcasting stations often use Misato's theme (the happy apartment tune) during TV spots for The Voice Kids Philippines.

It sounds weird but in the Philippines, they do this all the time. And this is still a testimony to how awesome the music in Evangelion is.

Even a minor piece of BGM is held in high regard. They don't even have to use songs like Angel Attack, Decisive Battle, Thanatos, A Cruel Angel's Thesis, or Komm, Susser Tod to prove it. Even Misato's theme can do it fine.

I wish I can find a link but from the videos I found on YouTube, I cannot find a TV spot with Misato's theme.
Though, I did hear it once on TV.

Also, for 2.0's soundtrack, Disc 1 is the Original Soundtrack while Disc 2 (which is a bonus disc) is the Music from album.
They are packaged together and are called merely the Original Soundtrack.
Also, for 3.0, the Original Soundtrack was released as a pack-in with first print releases of the DVD/Blu-ray in Japan, so it's pretty rare.
Though it did eventually get a digital release.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri May 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Shirk Sagisu really is fantastic at musical composition, to the point even the most ropey scenes can be carried by his music. Almost like Yasushi Ishii's score for GONZO's Hellsing anime or Matsuo Hayato's Transformers: Micron Legend, though not as severe as either of those two.

My only gripe is he recycles musical cues a LOT. Just the 26 episode anime has 3 soundtrack CDs, with End having a fourth, and there's quite a few variants in there. I can see why he likes certain sounds so much, but he's done this so often even Shin Godzilla has Decisive Battle as part of its composition.

That said, his music does really complement the series well, to the extent I enjoy the music far more in the context of the show that by itself, something of a rarity for me. I think Sin from Genesis is the only track I listen to in a vacuum (yes, yes, jokes about hypocrisy go here), and that's because it's so gloriously OTT I can't not listen to it on loop.

Though I must admit I get Emergecy Escape from Ridiculously Long Name stuck in my head a lot.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:38 am

I listen to it when I study lol.
It even puts me in concentration mode dince I'm used to it

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 05, 2018 7:42 am

I have like three playlists dedicated to Eva music
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 05, 2018 9:45 am

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:My only gripe is he recycles musical cues a LOT. Just the 26 episode anime has 3 soundtrack CDs, with End having a fourth, and there's quite a few variants in there. I can see why he likes certain sounds so much, but he's done this so often even Shin Godzilla has Decisive Battle as part of its composition.

Sagisu just makes the music. For both Eva and Shin Godzilla, Anno's the one who decides what will show up. In NGE, there were plenty of original cues that went unused, whereas both of the times Anno requested additional music, we ended up with a lot of extra variants, some of which we know he specifically asked for.

It might be an addiction: the Tree of Life mindscape scene from EoE goes through no fewer than three variants of a variant upon "Borderline Case" during its runtime!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Sat May 05, 2018 9:48 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Sagisu just makes the music. For both Eva and Shin Godzilla, Anno's the one who decides what will show up. In NGE, there were plenty of original cues that went unused, whereas both of the times Anno requested additional music, we ended up with a lot of extra variants, some of which we know he specifically asked for.

It might be an addiction: the Tree of Life mindscape scene from EoE goes through no fewer than three variants of a variant upon "Borderline Case" during its runtime!

Ah, fair enough then. It's still mildly annoying but I guess my quarrel is with Anno and not Sagisu. And yeah, from what young describing it does sound a bit obsessive/addicted.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Never bothered me.
Probably because I like Borderline Case so much.

Well the third act of 3.0 really is the total opposite of that.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”