Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm

I wonder if that flaring flashlight could be related to this thing, whatever it is? http://blog-imgs-100.fc2.com/n/e/w/newe ... sw_103.jpg
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:57 pm

^ Considering the light effect matches the concept art, it's not a huge leap to make. I would assume it's some kind of Impact portal to another world, or a massive explosion/beginning of instrumentality. With so little to go on, the possibilities are nearly endless.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:35 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I wonder if that flaring flashlight could be related to this thing, whatever it is? http://blog-imgs-100.fc2.com/n/e/w/newe ... sw_103.jpg

A solid "possibly, but maybe not" I'd say. It looks similar, but cross shaped effects are everywhere in Eva so it's not very specific.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 pm

This is somewhat off topic, but I don't think it merits its own thread. This is a little comic that I think is interesting.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 pm

I will gladly take Anno's Rebuilds/Godzillas/Animator Expos/Live Action Experiments (okay, NOT Cutie Honey) over anything in the MCU. ESPECIALLY Infinity War which has gone from enjoyable to bad every time I think about it.

Plus there's some joy to be had in actually waiting for something as opposed to constant gratification.

*Yes, that comic is about me....

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:This is somewhat off topic, but I don't think it merits its own thread. This is a little comic that I think is interesting.

No, its totally on topic (I'm not an expert, but IMO it is), this is basically every evageek.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:This is somewhat off topic, but I don't think it merits its own thread. This is a little comic that I think is interesting.

Why is that comic about me?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:25 am

I too have wings and a photo of Anno that I embrace when I talk about him.

Btw, I rewatched some Eva stuff yesterday. I know the franchise by heart, but still, it reminded me how godly Anno's stuff is. This last movie can only be good.

Also, Infinity War-the movie that robbed the Guardians series of some of its most important plot points? Not for me.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 am

This comic is getting framed in my bathroom.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I will gladly take Anno's Rebuilds/Godzillas/Animator Expos/Live Action Experiments (okay, NOT Cutie Honey)

Fine then. More Cutie Honey for me! Seriously, the more ridiculously grim-dirp Superman becomes, the more I appreciate things like Anno's Cutie Honey or Adam West's Batman. It gives me hope.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am

Is it bad that I am "that guy" in this comic? I idolize almost everything Anno does, I like 3.0 the best of rebuild(just ok my ass!), and Marvel movies bore me to death. All I need now is his photo to take everywhere, and I'm now seriously printing off one to complete the look. :emogendo:

Edit: Looking at the other replies, I see we are all "that guy" :rofl:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Blockio » Wed May 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah, Im "that guy" as well... who cares if final doesnt come out if you can use the time to get your friends into the series :bigeyes:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed May 02, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm almost 'that guy', since although i much prefer Anno and his works, i still find enjoyment in the more typical stuff from time to time
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

The Cruel
Banned

Postby The Cruel » Wed May 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Eva is like a wound that inflicts pain to your soul. Rebuild reopens that wound to remind you of still having it and 3.0 made it deeper, wider and worse. Since then it rots, keeps the pain and memory on, never knowing whether it 'll ever heal up until FINAL comes out.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:57 pm

It's also a fun movie.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun May 06, 2018 6:36 pm

A bit off topic: can we expect the movie to be shot in 4k? Is it a standard that is getting adopted in the anime industry?

HARVEST
Adam

Postby HARVEST » Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:A bit off topic: can we expect the movie to be shot in 4k? Is it a standard that is getting adopted in the anime industry?

We can at least expect upscaled 4K Ultra HD discs, maybe alongside 4K upscales of the previous three films as well.

Even high-budget anime like Your Name and Mary and the Witch's Flower are only in 2K/1080p and when they were released in 4K Ultra HD by Toho and Walt Disney Japan respectively, they were upscaled.

Even high-budget 3DCG animated films from the US like The Peanuts Movie and Coco are 2K upscales.

There is still hope for improvements, though, like HDR.

Also, Mary and the Witch's Flower had a film filter to soften the image, add in subtle grain, and even frame wobble.
This is to give it more of an analog-like/classic anime effect. They do this for DCPs and home video.
Studio Ghibli also does the same thing, and since Studio Ponoc is built up of ex-Ghibli staff and they use the same software, they use many of the same tricks, like the filter.
I like the filter.
Now, Ponoc could've just upscaled the finished product and called it a day, but they improved the 4K version by adding an improved version of the film filter, HDR, and 7.1.4 DTS:X audio.

There is hope that Khara could do something similar.

Also, they are doing 4K remasters of Ghost in the Shell and Innocence.
GitS is done in 35mm so it can be given a native 4K remaster but Innocence was digital, so I don't know what kind of remaster they would do.
The 4K remaster will also be released on 1080p Blu-ray, so there's a sign that it's native 4K.
There are only three options:
1. They re-rendered the entire film in 4K.
2. They scanned a 35mm print in 4K, making it inferior to previous releases.
3. The 3DCG is re-rendered while the 2D assets are upscaled, considering that a huge majority of the film is CGI.

I think it's very unlikely for the possibility of 2D animation to be re-rendered in higher resolutions, considering the nature of digital 2D animation.
But maybe Innocence is different.
Maybe 3.33+1.11 can do an Innocence-like approach, but it's unlikely.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 07, 2018 4:34 am

Things that are shot in higher resolutions aren't really meant to be rendered at those higher resolutions either. I'm planning a short film, and I'm preparing to shoot any digitally composited scenes in 4K and then downscaling it to 2K. I took this hint from Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of a Third Kind, where he would shoot the special effects in 70mm film and then downscale the print to the 35mm film that he used to shoot the rest of the movie. The intended effect was that any matte outlines in the composted footage in 70mm would disappear (or at least have their appearance greatly diminished) after being shrunk down to 35mm film. I must say, it worked fairly well. So I'm gonna try the same thing myself.

And then there's Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy, which was shot in 70mm film but was digitally scanned in 2K for digital color grading and 3D-CGI effects. Even though you can theoretically get much higher digital resolutions from scanning 70mm film, you can only really present the film in the highest resolution in which you scanned the film. As a result, despite being shot in 70mm film, all 4K releases of LotR will be upscales.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:16 am

Isn't this also done so there is less data to save?
4k visuals eat those hard drives up.
I always hope for higher resolution releases, it's a waste otherwise.
I hope this film gets a 4k release, but our wallets would suffer it lol.
I don't think it is absolutely necessary but the image would look cleaner even blown up.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I hope this film gets a 4k release, but our wallets would suffer it lol.

If you save a dollar/penny/euro every day until it gets released in home video you'll end up with enough money to buy the ultra limited edition, the 4k re-releases of the previous 3 movies, the groundworks books and the CRC. :tongue:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 am

Nothing in The Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot on 70mm. That was a 35mm production through & through. Don’t know where you got that it was shot on 70mm.
Anyway, the short answer is likely - No. It’s not being “shot” in 4K. Unless a large part of the film ends up being live action 4K seems like a financially counter-productive expense for a project that is not captured in a real world environment with real actors.

Though since there’s money to be made I’m sure an upscaled “4K” release will be available when the film hits home video.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”