What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:38 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I know about the manga's take and while it displeases me, for some reason I seem to be indifferent to it... The anime version is the one that I pay more attention to.

Personally, I'd hoped when I first watched it that Unit-01 would somehow go berserk and reject the dummy plug and maybe end things less violently.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

aependell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby aependell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am

I think the only consistent thing that annoyed me throughout the series was the constant anime cliche of "There's only a .0001% chance it'll work!" "Do it anyways!" "You could kill us all!" Does the thing, it works, day is saved.

That exact cliche happened like fifty times I swear. Beyond that, I guess I can agree that Matarael was a bit bland, though he looked cool. And Rei and Kaworu could have benefitted from more exploration of their characters and their relationships with Shinji and the others. I really think those problems could have been resolved if the series just had, oh, say, five more episodes? Oh well. Still the best anime ever made, regardless.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am

I was watching a few episodes recently and it really struck me how much I dislike Asuka's crush on Kaji. Especially that new scene added into...I think it was 22'? Yeesh. Thank god the movies left that out and that Mari did not pick it up when she stepped into the vacancy.

As for the movies, I think it's how little we see of the world outside Shinji's perspective. He's not very proactive or inquisitive so he doesn't do much to explore the world around him unless pushed by an outside influence.

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:As for NTE... my biggest gripe is probably the sheer number of red herrings 2.22 has as a result of the direction 3.33 took. They probably weren't all originally intended as such, but the sheer number of things from 2.22 that I realized "wow... this didn't matter at all" is staggering. That probably has more to do with my dogmatic view on Chekhov's Gun than anything, but it's such that I dislike it more than I dislike Shinji.

What were some of those, if you don't mind me asking?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 am

The biggest one would probably be Kaji, since he simply disappears between films and is barely mentioned in 3.33. Lilith's resonating with the Awakened Unit-01 as well since she's been turned into a corpse the next time we see her. Stuff like the Vatican Treaty go largely unexplored, and unless it gets used in Final the Key of That One Babylonian King Whose Name I Can Never Spell Correctly is also a dead end.

I dunno, I'm of of the people who remain convinced Q got heavily rewritten at some development stage, largely because of how much the timeskip glosses over and how none of the visuals from the preview were used. Hell, the Unit-08 we see looks nothing like the one we ultimately got (which is a shame because its design is baller).

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I was watching a few episodes recently and it really struck me how much I dislike Asuka's crush on Kaji. Especially that new scene added into...I think it was 22'? Yeesh. Thank god the movies left that out and that Mari did not pick it up when she stepped into the vacancy.

Can I ask why you didn't like it?
It's certainly uncomfortable, but I'd argue it's meant to ne that way.
I like what it adds to Asuka's character (the crush in actuality stemming from her wanting to feel more adult than her peers).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:13 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Can I ask why you didn't like it?
It's certainly uncomfortable, but I'd argue it's meant to ne that way.
I like what it adds to Asuka's character (the crush in actuality stemming from her wanting to feel more adult than her peers).

I think you may have just answered your own question. It's possible to simultaneously see the importance of something in establishing a character's state of mind AND dislike the actual execution for other reasons. Keep in mind we as a fandom still nail Shinji to the wall for the hospital scene, despite its clear visual signposting of his depravity in that moment.

In the same vein, I completely understand the reasons she treated Shinji the way she did, but if a girl acted that way towards me with those feelings I'd be PISSED.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm

I thought maybe he thinks it's actually a bad element of the show, not just uncomfortable (I should have clarified that).

And I think Asuka's treatment of Shinji isn't actually that bad, but that's another topic.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:And I think Asuka's treatment of Shinji isn't actually that bad, but that's another topic.

I'm genuinely curious why you think that. Could you elaborate?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I thought maybe he thinks it's actually a bad element of the show, not just uncomfortable (I should have clarified that).

And I think Asuka's treatment of Shinji isn't actually that bad, but that's another topic.

Yes could you please clarify because as much as I like Asuka in my view she does bully Shinji quite badly at the start and I'm not on Shinji's side ether as nether of them are perfect and I don't condone ether of their behaviours in different ways.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I thought maybe he thinks it's actually a bad element of the show, not just uncomfortable (I should have clarified that).

ACGT-Samael said most of it for me. Yeah it establishes things about her character but I don't like how far it went, particularly that Director's Cut scene I mentioned. I got that it was supposed to be uncomfortable well before then. There are a few points where the show goes to excess in order to get its point across and I feel like this is one of them.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Yeah, I think one of the great things about Eva is how it doesn't hold back, but we all react differenty to certain things, so I totally get that.

And didn't expect people asking for the Asuka thing lol.
To keep it short, I've known people "similar" in real life. While Asuka's way of acting isn't always ideal, it is very clear what her personality and vibe are, so I don't think they should be seen as seriously.
It doesn't feel to me like her insults are meant to deeply hurt, it's just how she has "learned" to interact.
Even Shinji who takes things to heart so much laughs many of her commentaries of.
I have always been surprised that people think so badly of her, especially that some people think she is an abuser.
Maybe I just think to much of her as cool to be fair lol
Anyways, that's like a summarized version of it.
Not saying all her actions are ok. She clearly has problems later in the show with how she acts.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 pm

^ That's a reasonable explanation and it makes sense. Having known someone like her in real life, it's not as surprising that someone can be that way in real life. And you're right, her insults aren't really that bad, but the physical stuff is a no-no. Obviously Asuka, like almost every character in the show, has her own issues to work through, and her way of interacting is probably just how she gets through the day without crying, like we see in Episode 9, and especially in Episode 22.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:53 am

I kinda forgot about the physical stuff.
I have to admit, I have never known somebody who hit me when pissed lol.
Poor Shinji.
But I wonder how much was that was exaggerated anime-comic relief.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 am

^ I don't think (IIRC that is) that it was just playful hitting. Quite the opposite of the comic relief style of hitting seen in Full Metal Panic, where Kaname hits Sousuke because he's being his odd-ball self. Even if her barbs to others weren't meant to hurt anyone, whenever she hit someone, she meant it.

And again, the lashing out would probably stem from her own insecurities with herself and her mother's death.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Yeah, I see that, but it was almost always in the context of pretty comical scenes. Though it lets shine through that she can be violent.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I kinda forgot about the physical stuff.
I have to admit, I have never known somebody who hit me when pissed lol.
Poor Shinji.
But I wonder how much was that was exaggerated anime-comic relief.

I mean I don't doubt there was an element of that in play since early Eva does like some comedy, but in the broader context of the show's deconstruction tendencies and Asuka's character it's hard not to rewatch it and have it be far more painful than first viewing.

I remember finding Asuka really grating the first time I watched the show because of her tendency to run her mouth off at people with nary a thought of how she might take it, as well as now one-sided and unprovoked her hatred towards Rei was. I've softened on her a bit as time went on, but I still find myself yelling at her to shut up in certain scenes.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm

It seems with me it's the other way around lol.
I never had an issue with her and realized later that maybe some stuff she did was bad.
I guess since Shinji is like our POV and he doesn't seem too mind too much that also influenced what I saw.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:It seems with me it's the other way around lol.
I never had an issue with her and realized later that maybe some stuff she did was bad.
I guess since Shinji is like our POV and he doesn't seem too mind too much that also influenced what I saw.

That is entirely likely since as we've previously established you identify with Shinji in a way that I do not, so instead of seeing Asuka from Shinji's perspective as you do I see her from an outsider's view.

That's not to say I'm not sympathetic to Asuka's issues. She does have my sympathy, and if I were her friend I would do everything I could to help her... if I could get her to actually open up to me. Which is kind of what does her in; she never lets people know how she actually feels and uses defence mechanisms as a default interaction tactic. If she acted that way with me and I didn't know why, I'd stop talking to her.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm

∆ That's even addressed in EoE, where Shinji wonders how he is supposed to know anything if she never tells him.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:01 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:It seems with me it's the other way around lol.

I believe that Shinji was physically bullied where he lived previously, considering he takes a punch from Toji without too much complaint, gets bitch slapped by Misato and runs away, and with Asuka occasionally slapping him around, he just expects to be hit, because that's been his life till now.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”