Misconceptions on Anno & fanservice

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

arilando
Embryo

Re: Misconceptions on Anno & fanservice

•      
  •      

Postby arilando » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:50 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's not really a delusion in Kill la Kill, though, since it's actually an explicit part of the text. But if you're talking about Misato's butt shot or Asuka's crotch shot or the test suit in Ha there's a bit more room to argue.

I find it a very unlikely interpretation that the creators were trying to make some kind of statement against fanservice, considering the comments of some staff members that they enjoyed the fanservice in the show. There does seem to be some playful mockery, but believing that the statement the show is trying to make is that fanservice is somehow wrong, as i've seen some fans of the series do, is delusional.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:59 pm

View Original Postarilando wrote:I find it a very unlikely interpretation that the creators were trying to make some kind of statement against fanservice, considering the comments of some staff members that they enjoyed the fanservice in the show. There does seem to be some playful mockery, but believing that the statement the show is trying to make is that fanservice is somehow wrong, as i've seen some fans of the series do, is delusional.

Dude, the show is about clothes. It is insanely self-aware, and the notion that any fanservice it employs is not without explicit purpose is nonsensical. Your entire premise here just doesn't make any sense.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

arilando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby arilando » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:02 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Dude, the show is about clothes. It is insanely self-aware, and the notion that any fanservice it employs is not without explicit purpose is nonsensical. Your entire premise here just doesn't make any sense.

What exactly, doesn't make sense? I haven't made the claim that "fanservice it employs is not without explicit purpose", i simply stated that believing that the anime is trying to make a statement against fanservice is delusional. That is not equavalent to claiming that the fanservice is meaningless.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:35 pm

View Original Postarilando wrote:What exactly, doesn't make sense?

Your entire premise. The notion that the show isn't making a statement just plain doesn't work given that it is what it is, and the notion that it doesn't critique fanservice doesn't work since it does just that on several occasions. Your claim that such notions are delusional fails on account of simple logic.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 pm

KLK embraces fanservice at the level of a crucial plot device. Saying it's arguing against fanservice is... dubious.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

arilando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby arilando » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Your entire premise. The notion that the show isn't making a statement just plain doesn't work given that it is what it is, and the notion that it doesn't critique fanservice doesn't work since it does just that on several occasions. Your claim that such notions are delusional fails on account of simple logic.

I didn't say it didn't make any statement regarding fanservice. I said that the show isn't meant as a criticism against fanservice.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:41 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:KLK embraces fanservice at the level of a crucial plot device. Saying it's arguing against fanservice is... dubious.

When it's become a crucial plot device it's gotten to the level where it's no longer really fanservice, though. The point with KLK is that there's a lot of room to talk about what's going on and why, and that the fanservice it does employ is very rarely gratuitous (though there are some obvious exceptions). That's why people say it's a statement against fanservice -- the fanservice it uses is used for a purpose, not for shits and grins.

arilando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby arilando » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:When it's become a crucial plot device it's gotten to the level where it's no longer really fanservice, though. The point with KLK is that there's a lot of room to talk about what's going on and why, and that the fanservice it does employ is very rarely gratuitous (though there are some obvious exceptions). That's why people say it's a statement against fanservice -- the fanservice it uses is used for a purpose, not for shits and grins.

It's clearly both. And the series is clearly not negative about the use of fanservice in general.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:59 am

View Original Postarilando wrote:It's clearly both. And the series is clearly not negative about the use of fanservice in general.

That's not clear at all, as there are any number of ways to read the themes and intent of the show. It actually can be read as a statement against sexism and gratuitous fanservice, and there's a lot of support for such a reading in the show. There's just support for lots of other readings as well. It's a layered and complex show, and not the best example for the argument you're trying to make here.

arilando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby arilando » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's not clear at all, as there are any number of ways to read the themes and intent of the show. It actually can be read as a statement against sexism and gratuitous fanservice, and there's a lot of support for such a reading in the show. There's just support for lots of other readings as well. It's a layered and complex show, and not the best example for the argument you're trying to make here.

Not only is it an example, it's one of the best examples. The article you linked, if anything, is evidence of my assertion. Fans worrying over their liking of a "misogynistic" "objectifying" series. Other judgemental fucks arguing it's a bad series becuase it's "rapey".

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:51 am

View Original Postarilando wrote:Not only is it an example, it's one of the best examples. The article you linked, if anything, is evidence of my assertion.

How?

cunning linguist
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cunning linguist » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:31 pm

In regards to fanservice, anno needs to put his money where his mouth is and shake those tailfeathers, start bellydancing or something. then he can produce true erotic art, taken from and legitimized by his own experiences. maybe he could collaborate with ron jeremy and/or hard gay. it would empower animu grills everywhere.

arilando
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby arilando » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Return to “Related Works & People”