How will future generations perceive Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm

View Original Postbeaverteeth92 wrote:I think it'll still be well-regarded among anime fans because of what a massive game changer it was and because of its depth. The fact that it's highly polarizing almost 20 years later is also a sign it'll be highly polarizing well into the future, which will ensure people keep talking about it.

This statement stands and falls with your definition of "anime-fans". If you ask a common Shonen or Ecci-watcher, you'll maybe find one person who heard the name Evangelion somewhere before. :um:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:40 pm

They'll probably think that it was some random pretentious cartoon that only delayed mankind's evolution. :hahaha:

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:"What the fuck? Did he just jack off?"

LOL. Oh thank you for this. Not what I was expecting.

Regarding the OP: I fear NGE's popularity with future generations will be limited to minority pockets of anime fans and people who enjoy old school or original "gamechanging" media.

The vast majority of people won't bother with it because to them the animation looks sloppy.

It's like my nephew telling me that he prefers the Prequel Star Wars movies way more than the original Episodes 4-6. He's a moron but to him I can't blame him since his minimum standard for SFX and such is very different than mine.

To make another comparison, I'm 31 years old but I still have a hard time getting around to watching classic movies pre-1980 because it just looks so old. I might never watch Casablanca or Midnight Cowboy or The Apartment.

But people in the know will still watch, share, and revere it. I mean, I've only been on this forum for 1 day and I'm already seeing many different forum members that are younger than myself. 16 year olds and such. So NGE isn't going anywhere soon.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 pm

There's two way Eva could be seen. The most likely outcome is that their presence will still be around, and simply won't "go away." Yes, there will be no new projects for years, but the impact was so great, no one will feel like they disappeared, no matter what or how many projects comes out of the franchise in the future.

If not that, then it could end up the same way anime such as Yamato, Harlock, Astro Boy, and so on are seen: Although they caused the "style" of that decade, it will not be seen the majority of anime fans who simply don't connect to it: only people who stumbled across it, through memories and/or by chance, or those who love learning about the "history" of anime will bother watching it all the way through. Sure, we'll still be around, but unless big news happened in a post-Rebuild world (like some kind of revival anime), I will not be surprised if this place becomes more and more niche as the years go by.

In other words? We'll just complain about "the good old days" to these new kids who like their moe, yuri and yaoi way too much, and how we "missed out" the experience of seeing the souls of 14 year olds being crushed and ruined by a director who probably hates himself more than his audience.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Unit.Zed
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Unit.Zed » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 am

I think there will be a core group (outside Japan) who will revere NGE as they do today.
Less in number though; but there will always be new fans.
Once a n00b is over the whole "what's this old, un-shiny anime? YUCK!" they might just see the depth underneath.

Just recently there was an online poll by Oz's biggest anime distributor, to find the greatest anime ever, (according to the small population of Australia's online community, who could even vote)....and the result was overwhelmingly Neon Genesis.

That right there suggests that there is a larger, underground fanbase than most expect. So I think future generations will still know and love it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

I've taken steps so that thousands of years from now after our civilization's entire existence has been wiped out except for a few monuments and mankind mistakenly believes human society is only a few thousand years old, archeologists will discover my evangelion fanfiction and live their lives according to the teachings of Chuckman, peace be upon him.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:56 pm

I honestly think that unless a major motion picture or revival series comes out it will slowly die out and be up to the youngest fans to show it to youngsters.

Ringworm128
Lilith

Re: How will future generations perceive Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:05 pm

It will probably always remain a cult classic, very well known within the western anime community but barely known outside it. Actually now that I think about it Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh and DBZ and maybe Naruto are the only anime's that you could say are past the cult classic status. Evangelion has been in the west for almost 17 years now, it probably reached the peak of it's popularity long ago. The most that could be done is a Blu Rei release (please make that happen Funimation) or it airing on something like Toonami on a "old anime week" or something to put a bit of interest back in. But it would probably only pull in a few new fans. I doubt we would suddenly see kids going to school with Rei Ayanami key chains and people lining up to get the 4th Rebuild etc. Though Rebuild at the moment has a bit more potential.

View Original PostReichu wrote:"It's old, the animation is crappy, and it's not in HD. I'm not watching that."
Yes and no, Funimation put a poll asking how they wanted to see DBZ and judging from the new BR release people wanted to the picture cropped to 16:9 and the quality ruined through filters in order to fit with the "HD is better" mindset. But ever since I was a kid I had no problem watching old shows and playing old games. My nephew seems to be the same and there seems to be other members here around my age so I'm not the only one like that. If anything the biggest obstacle Eva has is the "Animation Age Ghetto"/"all animation is for kids" mindset.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:06 am

Since we still watch b/w silent films, I don't think that watching it will be a problem. As to quality, people will always bicker. It's likely that it'll be viewed the same way we do today.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:29 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Wind rustles through grass.

The world holds its breath.

Still one of my favourite posts/answers I've gotten on this site.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:41 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Since we still watch b/w silent films, I don't think that watching it will be a problem. As to quality, people will always bicker. It's likely that it'll be viewed the same way we do today.

I totally agree. Also Metropolis and Dr. Caligari is probably still two of my favorite movies

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:07 am

If King Records' licensing fee greed and the blindness of most people who haven't seen the show online dismissing it as an edgy, pretentious, confusing mess (eg. "lol Shinji get in the robot") are anything to go off of, I'd say they wouldn't perceive it much at all.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 am

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:If King Records' licensing fee greed and the blindness of most people who haven't seen the show online dismissing it as an edgy, pretentious, confusing mess (eg. "lol Shinji get in the robot") are anything to go off of, I'd say they wouldn't perceive it much at all.

I know a lot of people like that

viperzero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 am

Their are two roads to immortality cult classic that survives the generations and major success that influences everything. Animation aside NGE has the advantage that their is nothing really "like" it. so it will be popular with people who like that stuff unless more and better come out out to replace it. I've heard people call it the Catcher in the Rye of anime and maybe that might be the guide to what fans could expect of it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”