Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Evangelion References and Homages

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:EoE has joined the American Choppers meme argument craze on imgur.
Absolutely Different, Right?  SPOILER: Show

I thought she was going to say rebuild since its same show different context.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 pm

So, as I was watching the new Lost in Space, I realized they sort of have an homage to Evangelion in there as a main plot point. It's a spoiler, so read at your own risk.
SPOILER: Show
So, there was a cataclysmic event in the show known as the "Christmas Star" that was a meteor that crashed and deteriorated the atmosphere of Earth. However, as we find out later in the season, the government covered up that it was an alien space ship that crash landed landed, which they salvaged the engines from to create the ship that ferries colonists from Earth to Alpha Centauri. So, something similar to what the UN did after Second Impact, calling the failed experiment in Antarctica on Adam a meteor impact.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Evangelion References and Homages B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:08 am

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, ep 2

They never say Gendo, but the scene plays the beginning drum beats of "Decisive Battle" while showing this, and they call out the guy on the left as being the "Fuyutsuki."

This episode also has a scene later between the two girls as "Aynami stan - Asuka stan" where I believe they're imitating stares you'd see of the characters at some point.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 am

Added to the Gendo Pose wiki page, thanks!
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Well, I'm not sure if this belongs here or requires a thread of its own, but here's a GQ article/review detailing the writer's reaction to watching NGE.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu May 03, 2018 11:37 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well, I'm not sure if this belongs here or requires a thread of its own, but here's a GQ article/review detailing the writer's reaction to watching NGE.

We should all agree to never speak of this again.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 03, 2018 11:51 am

^ Because the writer clearly bro'd the article to death?

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Sorry for the double post, however,

Kid's anime Shinkalion Episode 17 Parodies Evangelion. It apparently includes Gendo's pose and some black monoliths, and the EVA bullet train.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 am

Watching Darker than Black, I've noticed some apparent references/homages/vague similarities to NGE.

KaminaKajiKaworu-type fella  SPOILER: Show

This guy is someone the MC, Hei, meets. He is a researcher, working on divining the mystery of what happened to cause a cataclysmic event which created supernaturally powered beings, called "Contractors". Blondie gets ahold of a meteor fragment related to the incident. The fragment reminds me of the Admabryo, and what he says above reminds me of Kaworu. (You and I are the same, glad I met you, etc.)

More:

Need I say more?

How Kamina-like, Blond Kaji-san.

The following isn't really a reference per se, but I thought it might amuse some. More of a common reference, I guess, along with NGE.

Same episode:

Now, I don't see anywhere where that character's reading the poem (perhaps he had it memorised?), but it's clearly a quote, when taken along with the episode title.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 pm

It's likely a coincidence, more of a reference to things like the Mothman and ghosts in general (my current theory is that he's in Xen and will occasionally break through dimensions to speak to those on Earth), but I couldn't help but notice the similarities between Half-Life's GMan and Rei Ayanami, specifically the quantum Reis. Both appear and subtly guide characters along their lives, both are mysterious and left unexplained, both are clearly not normal humans and have trouble understanding human speech patterns, and both are fan favorites. Although I sincerely hope that GMan is not Gordon's father, that would be kinda lame, and not to mention, it's slightly implied during GMan's speech in Episode Two when the Vortigaunts begin to revive the Alyx Vance, that GMan may have some connection to Alyx instead, saying he hand picked her from Black Mesa, and sits close to her when speaking directly to her at the end of his speech.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 am

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/featu ... ano-tapes/ I've always wanted to see a hockey anime, guess we have the opening to it now lol. (Go to 1:12).
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Kenza59
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kenza59 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am

In the Russian visual novel Everlasting Summer :

There's even "Genda" written in cyrillic on the pedestal.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 pm

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:Added to the Gendo Pose wiki page, thanks!

One of the more recent episodes of Shinaksen Henkei Robo Shinkalion The Animation had a HUGE Evangelion moment. I forget the exact episode but not only did it have the lead character Hiyato doing Gendo Pose, it even had Seele monoliths, the Type-Eva Shinkalion showing up AND Cruel Angels Thesis played when it showed up. Oh, but it gets even better!!! This week is an Evangelion/Shinkalion crossover episode. Megumi Ogata came in to voice the shows version of Shinji and Kotono Mitsuishi narrated the preview for the episode!!! Here's the link to the preview on the shows official youtube page: https://youtu.be/4go8XsxizDY
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:01 pm

The film Battle Royale (released 2000) begins with the same piece of music used in the trailers (or TV spots) for Death and Rebirth: Messa da Requiem by Giuseppe Verdi.

Then, later in the film, Air by Johann Sebastian Bach is used, which of course also plays in The End of Evangelion. SPOILER: As with EoE, it starts playing during a bloody battle that takes place in water. And a male character points a gun and fires at a female character in a way that is not completely unlike Gendo pointing and firing at Ritsuko. And a hacking scene follows soon after which is not unlike the Magi getting hacked at the beginning of EoE.

I don't know if all this counts as a reference or homage, but it's suspiciously similar. And to make things even more interesting, the voice actress who plays Asuka, Yūko Miyamura, also plays a part in the film! :dizzy:

I recommend this movie to anyone who likes Quentin Tarantino films. And on that note, Chiaki Kuriyama, who would later go on to play Gogo in Kill Bill: Vol. 1, is also in Battle Royale. Also on that note, part of The Hateful Eight (a Tarantino film) is quite reminiscent of a scene in Battle Royale.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles
The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation
Evangelion fan since 1996. Former Eva Mailing List member (late '90s).

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:12 am

Planet With, episode 7, looks familiar...

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Crosses, crosses everywhere... :bigeyes:
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:34 am

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did it again, now it's Asuka's turn

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:55 am

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:38 pm

^ But would she get into the fucking robot?

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Netflix released a new batch of Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes recently and the second movie they riff is a Pacific Rim knock off called, "Atlantic Rim" and at 13:25, Tom says, "STARTING NEON GENESIS EVANGELION PROCESS, PREPARING TO INJECT ROBOT WITH MY PUBERTY SIR." xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”