FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:You know one of the things I hate most in fanfiction? Whenever they begin a story with Shinji and Asuka already being in a relationship and they say so in the fucking summary. Or they say so immediately after the disclaimer in the first chapter, I hate that in general for any fanfic to be quite honest.

Okay I get this if your writing post EOE as your denying the reader the time to see the relationship build up and getting past the issues but I don't see the problem with this in AU.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Not all people know how to write romance or write it well.

Especially when it involves these two.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm

^ This brings me back to the "they fucked, your welcome" way of writing different ships, it never works if you force it, it has to make sense.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Because guys it's all about the journey, taking the easy Road and just saying they got together makes for weak storytelling.

And it's worse when they call it an AU.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:23 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Because guys it's all about the journey, taking the easy Road and just saying they got together makes for weak storytelling.

*lazy storytelling
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 pm

You might have ground for your argument if the fics you're talking about are continuations from the TV anime's canon, but AUs in which the two have lived more or less peaceful lives in well-adjusted families (i.e. similar to the worlds of Shinji Ikari Raising Project and Girlfriend of Steel 2) are a very different matter. Also, it's been over two decades since NGE first aired; the "Shinji and Asuka's journey to the end-goal of a romantic relationship" angle has been done so many times already, in both good ways and bad ones, that some readers may be more interested in how the two interact while they're in a relationship than in the "journey" that leads to them starting said relationship. In other words, they want the writer to cut what they perceive as the "middle man" and get to the "truly interesting" part.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 pm

No, there's ground for the argument either way. An AU like Shinji Ikari Raising Project even has the journey to get there, and if my information is correct, there still wasn't a definitive resolution when that ended.

Even in an AU, unless you're writing about them as legitimate adults in their mid to late-20s and skipping the buildup of the relationship is very lazy. Half the fun of a fic where two characters get together is how they get to that point. Skipping ahead past all the angst and everything takes the fun away.

I think where you're getting caught up is the Asuka/Shinji part. It's not just them, it's any ship, they require some reason to be together, some moment where they click. Cutting comers just makes for lazy story telling.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:24 am

I strongly disagree on accusing a storywriter of lazy writing just because they skipped over how the relationship came to be. By that logic, we'd have to ridicule every show, movie and video game that ever existed in which the epilogue involved a time-skip after which we see that some characters have paired off (sometimes even got married) simply because the writers didn't show us how those relationships came to be (pre-timeskip ship teasing doesn't count, I think), regardless of how well-written the rest of the story is.

Example: Yamato and Sora getting married in the epilogue of Digimon Adventure 02; while there was plenty of ship tease between them in both the first and second shows, we've never seen them actually dating each other by the time of 02's final battle, yet I have yet to ever hear anyone bringing that up as a point of criticism against the show.

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 am

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:I strongly disagree on accusing a storywriter of lazy writing just because they skipped over how the relationship came to be. By that logic, we'd have to ridicule every show, movie and video game that ever existed in which the epilogue involved a time-skip after which we see that some characters have paired off (sometimes even got married) simply because the writers didn't show us how those relationships came to be (pre-timeskip ship teasing doesn't count, I think), regardless of how well-written the rest of the story is.

I agree and some writers can pull off his really well as it all depends on them and how they roll with the theme and readers taste is also deeply subjective as one reader can like one style of story and another hate it but this is why we have fanfiction so people can get there ideas out there and try new things which they wont see in the main stream.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Personally, I get really, really sick of will-they-won't-they slap slap kiss belligerent sexual tension and angst relationship writing where the characters only hook up at the end of the damn thing. It's trite and predictable and I want to see characters actually developing their relationship once they're together. Things aren't just magically hunky dory when they decide they want to be together and share The Big Dramatic Kiss. There's a lot more to it after that!

One of the things I really appreciated about Children of an Elder God is that Shinji and Asuka hooked up before the end of the story and their relationship continued to expand from there.

If it's a story set in the future, I don't need to see the nitty gritty of how, let's say Shinji and Asuka got together when they were teenagers or whatever. Show me how they've changed as characters and how they're able to navigate a relationship now, prickly parts and all, and I have no problem skipping all the teen angst in the middle.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Personally, I get really, really sick of will-they-won't-they slap slap kiss belligerent sexual tension and angst relationship writing where the characters only hook up at the end of the damn thing.

Seconded. If they're gonna hook up, the tension is pointless because it's a foregone conclusion. If they're not gonna hook up, the teasing is pointless.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 am

What if the relationship development occurs in a sequel? A lot of fanfics make the romance a subplot whose importance is secondary to the main plot of (typically) saving the world from the Angels/Seele/whatever-the-antagonist-is, and so conclude the story when the threat is finally dealt with; they may then dedicate sequel fic to exploring the lives of the surviving characters in the peaceful world that naturally follows in the wake of the first story.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Exploring the relationship in a sequel is fine too since it's all part of the same narrative. Unless they apply the Summer Blockbuster trope where they break the characters up for the sake of repeating the relationship drama. That's just garbage writing. :P
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 pm

I have a question. For a while I was working on a fanfic, but because I wanted to concentrate on my original writing instead its updates have become a lot more sporadic. I still want to finish it, though, so should I keep adding to the old thread or make a new one that more people might notice?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:42 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm

i should have phrased it differently. That's not why I'm writing it. It's just that I'd like people to read what I've written, and I don't know whether starting over on continuing with the old thread is more conducive to that.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Oh shit I'm sorry squib, I thought I deleted that. I felt that was an inappropriate remark, for I know not if that was a true motivation.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I have a question. For a while I was working on a fanfic, but because I wanted to concentrate on my original writing instead its updates have become a lot more sporadic. I still want to finish it, though, so should I keep adding to the old thread or make a new one that more people might notice?

If you're going to keep working on the same fic, use the same thread. All your previous work on the fic will still be there, and you can continue where you left off. Plus, as long as you update it enough, it will still be seen on the first page of the subforum as long only a few other threads are updated. That's what I'd do anyway.

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:44 am

End of Evangelion but its a david lynch script.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 am

View Original PostAmbiant23 wrote:End of Evangelion but its a david lynch script.

I have absolutely zero idea what "David Lynch script" means. Please don't assume that everyone here - or even the majority - would always be familiar with whatever people's names you mention. It would be different if they're a really world-famous person, like director Michael Bay (pretty much synonymous with "lots of EXPLOSIONS!").

Return to “Fanfiction”