Why I Don't Like Mari

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Why I Don't Like Mari

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:50 am

∆ Which is IMO the reason she is in Rebuild.
It would have feel forced for another character to give Shinji the little speech she gives him after Kaworu's death.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ Which is IMO the reason she is in Rebuild.
It would have feel forced for another character to give Shinji the little speech she gives him after Kaworu's death.

Not just that, practically every scene with her would have feel forced with any other character. Asukas pride would have never allowed her to sacrifice a Unit or rely on its beastial form ( because that would make people question her her piloting skills and stuff), Rei mindlessly charging would be super out of character, Kaworu is already occupied and seeing any of the classmates suddenly go full on berserker is possibly the most unreasonable thing of them all - and thats just covering Ha, I dont think Q needs any explanation as to why any other character wouldnt work
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 am

^ So she's Mana, but better... way better.
God it hurts to compare Mari to that Frankenstein character......
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ So she's Mana, but better... way better.
God it hurts to say that......

Eh, I am not sure Mana would have worked... I cant really see her pulling off the beast mode
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 am

^ No, not that Mana would have worked, I hate Mana (thoughts for a different thread). I just meant that Mari is like Mana in the sense that she's there to fill a role neither Asuka or Rei could convincingly fill.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:50 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ No, not that Mana would have worked, I hate Mana (thoughts for a different thread). I just meant that Mari is like Mana in the sense that she's there to fill a role neither Asuka or Rei could convincingly fill.

Every character in every story ever is there to fill a specific role that, at least as far as the writer is concerned, another character in the same story could not. Get rid of the bridge bunnies and reassign their dialogue to Misato, Gendo and Fuyutsuki, for example.

Again, what Mari does best is contrast to other characters. You couldn't have a pilot more far removed from Rei and Shinji, and she even stands out from Asuka really strongly. The way she and Asuka play off each of in Q is beautiful, and it's what makes me wish that was done with the others as well.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”