Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Gundam Build Divers

I thought this show was turning the Gundam Build Fighters formula into an advertisement for a game they could realistically make. Like a Gundam MMOFPS/TPS

I was... sorta right? As in it's kind of an advertisement for the new Gundam Breaker release. Which isn't a MMO at all, but at least it has the customization.

But not the fighting, which is what I find irritating. Gundam game fighting mechanics apparently peaked in 2012, when they let FromSoftware handle it that one time. Ever since we've just been getting rehashes of what they've used in Gundam Dynasty Warriors.

Anyway, the show itself starts off pretty well (in episode 0) with a Championship fight between two expert teams. Definitely worth watching.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:46 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:I wonder if this new series is related to what Mr. Tines posted here

I wouldn't mind more 00. The movie's ending wasn't doing it for me, so I'd be glad if they make a new season with a better conclusion.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:06 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I wouldn't mind more 00. The movie's ending wasn't doing it for me, so I'd be glad if they make a new season with a better conclusion.

So, was 00 good? I still haven't gotten around to watching it.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:So, was 00 good? I still haven't gotten around to watching it.

I like it, in my opinion it's better than the newest gundam IBO. And if we're not counting OVAs like thunderbolt/unicorn - I think 00 is the best weekly episodic gundam show we got in the 2000s so far. Both seasons of 00 are great in my opinion, and my best synopsis is that the story is similar to Wing but set in a more futuristic world. The concluding film is a fun watch if anything (but it's not great by comparison to the TV series). They're actually finally releasing 00 on blu ray this summer in the west, so I'm definetly upgrading my DVDs to the two blu ray sets.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 am

^ Well, I love Wing (if you couldn't already tell), so the show should be right up my alley. Definitely gonna check it out now.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:27 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Something new Gundam related will be revealed on April 20th:

https://twitter.com/gundam_info/status/ ... 8178137088
I'm seeing suggestions that this will be a sequel to Gundam Unicorn, with the Gundam 00 sequel being a later project.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am

Gundam NT has been confirmed to be the next UC Gundam anime coming soon:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... rn/.130645

Also, Fukui somewhat teased Hathaway's Flash as well as a legit Unicorn sequel but told audiences to "forget you saw that" :???: :
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ed/.130647
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:34 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Gundam NT has been confirmed to be the next UC Gundam anime coming soon:

Wow, those Gundam designs are pretty awesome, and the story sounds interesting. I'm surprised nothing changed from the events of Unicorn, but I'm sure the reason will become clear as the series airs.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Gundam NT has been confirmed to be the next UC Gundam anime coming soon:

I'm not liking those character designs at all when compared to Unicorn. Still, it's the same writer, so it'll probably be good.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 am

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:31 am

Sorry for the double post...

However, the Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative teaser trailer has dropped.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 pm

I would like to remind everyone is that all of the news we have been getting in the past few days are likely all part of the franchise's 40th anniversary in 2019. For the 20th anniversary in 1999, there were multiple releases such a the Turn A series, the Gundam evolve shorts, and unfortuantely, the G-Savior movie among others. This could be the case.

In other news, I have purchased a copy of G-Reco, and it should be ariving by mail tomorrow. I wonder if I made a good choice. I heard some reviews saying it's good despite some flaws while others say that it's horrible (Even Tomino apologized for it). I remember reading one say, as an example, that watching the show is like trying to read a novel with every 4th page missing. Did I male a mistake here?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:55 pm

^ Well, at least the Gundam franchise is doing its best to ring in its 40th year in style.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote: I remember reading one say, as an example, that watching the show is like trying to read a novel with every 4th page missing. Did I male a mistake here?

Tomino is humble in general, him apologizing doesn't mean that much. In regards to the "novel without pages thing" , part of the problem came with the amount of factions and sides presented. This by itself isn't that confusing, but back when the show came out, it was easy to forget names and affiliations during the one week span between episodes.

I recommend watching the show in a fast pace, so you avoid that sort of confusions. G-Reco isn't the best Tomino Gundam, but it has acquired an undeserved reputation. Hopefully you'll like it.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:39 pm

So I guess with Origin concluding - our next "gundam timeline" for the years to come is:

• That current new build fighters anime
  • Gundam NT ova unicorn-sequel-project
  • Gundam 00 sequel
  • Perhaps something to do with Hathaway's Flash
  • And for us in the West a new dub for SEED (which I'm still personally very unhappy about because the old dub is good lol)

Good to see that gundam is doing well ^_^

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm

^ Wait, they're doing a new dub for SEED? What's the point of that? :???:

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Wait, they're doing a new dub for SEED? What's the point of that? :???:

As far as I know the blu ray of SEED is edited to remove/re-arrange some scenes, so the old dub files wouldn't synch up. But I have two arguments against that: (1) it's only slight editing, not all the episodes would be impacted, they could have kept the old dub and re-dubbed those few dozen lines from the scenes that were edited for the HD re-release of the show; and (2) they opted out for a brand new voice cast... but what was wrong with the old cast? It was a solid dub.

For all the shit that SEED gets, having a bad dub was never one of the complaints. I don't understand this decision at all.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:34 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:
For all the shit that SEED gets, having a bad dub was never one of the complaints. I don't understand this decision at all.

I suspect a lot of the dub actors of 2002-03 have moved on and couldn't redo the show for the blu-ray. I too would rather have the old cast, but I'll give it a shot. Personally I'm actually interested how Lacus will sound since she was the voice I didn't really care for in the OG dub, especially since she had a different voice for her singing parts that sounded completely different from her talking voice. She would go from a competent singer to a helium filled chipmunk, and I just didn't buy it.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm

The recent redub of EscaFlowne also used a new cast because the old cast were "not available". It was required because the BD remastering had added over ten minutes of previously unseen footage, which is more than a minor patching job. I know some fans have adapted the old dub to the extended episodes by just editing in the necessary parts of the new dub - but that must be a very disconcerting listen (and required the new dub to exist in any case). Funimation funded it by a well-run crowdfunding campaign on KickStarter.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:As far as I know the blu ray of SEED is edited to remove/re-arrange some scenes, so the old dub files wouldn't synch up. But I have two arguments against that: (1) it's only slight editing, not all the episodes would be impacted, they could have kept the old dub and re-dubbed those few dozen lines from the scenes that were edited for the HD re-release of the show; and (2) they opted out for a brand new voice cast... but what was wrong with the old cast? It was a solid dub.

hui43210 wrote:I suspect a lot of the dub actors of 2002-03 have moved on and couldn't redo the show for the blu-ray. I too would rather have the old cast, but I'll give it a shot. Personally I'm actually interested how Lacus will sound since she was the voice I didn't really care for in the OG dub, especially since she had a different voice for her singing parts that sounded completely different from her talking voice. She would go from a competent singer to a helium filled chipmunk, and I just didn't buy it.

Well, if the dub actors moved on, then maybe it was just easier to recast it. And as much a the story tired to be the best remake of the original in the history of remakes trying to redo the original but in a new way (TFA included), the voice cast was actually not that bad, and I did like Lacus, but sometimes her voice would be just too peppy (helium-addicted chipmunk voice aside). Still, it may end up sounding better, and I wonder if they'll do another dub translation changing how some of the dialog is presented to us which may change the story enough to make a difference in the plot.

Return to “Anime and Manga”