Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Saw both Thor Ragnarok and Coco in theatres Saturday, and one of them was abysmal and stupid with pointless and forced crossovers and references (maybe I would've enjoyed it more if I had forced myself to sit through the previous films), and the other was damn incredible, and yet another masterpiece by one of my favorite studios, even though it was really predictable.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am

I saw Annihilation on Friday. It’s a really smart and impressive movie. Everyone should see it. It has a few flaws to it, sure, but I really like it. There’s some good body horror and existentially terrifying things in that film, and the visuals and sound design is gorgeous.

Also, Thor Ragnorok is the best Marvel movie ever. It doesn’t excuse any of the complaints that anyone has had about it, but that doesn’t keep it from being the best either. I love how the typical “save the world” but was treated as the boring “B” plot while the rest of the movie focused on Jeff Goldblum in blue eyeliner playing a space pimp. I also like how that boring “B” plot was inverted at the end to something slightly more meaningful than it usually is. Either way, it’s far better than giving undue accolades to Joss Whedon for the obnoxious dialogue in his Avengers movies.

barnett
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby barnett » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 pm

I watched Annihilation too yesterday, really enjoyed it. I think Garland did a good work in adapting what was the first part of Vandermeer's trilogy in one coherent movie, with its own ending.
The movie got progressively better - the final act is amazing - and Barrow's (Portishead) work for the soundtrack was awesome. The only complaint I have is about the acting, it often felt flat.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Since I wasn't around for (most of) last year, here's some quick recaps of the 2017 stuff I saw.

Bardi's year-in-review for 2017 movies  SPOILER: Show
Alien: Covenant
...at least you tried, Ridley Scott. At least you tried. Liked the ending, though.

American Assassin
Kinda straightforward popcorn action flick, nothing more or less.

Atomic Blonde
Damn stylish and entertaining action scenes aplenty, one of the better surprises of the year for me.

Blade Runner 2049
Easily one my favorite movies of the year, I still can't believe this one actually managed to be nearly as good as the original...and, of course, just like the original film, it tanked in sales. Go figure.

Dunkirk
Damn good war movie, very tense and well-made. Honestly, I was just surprised as hell that it wasn't over three hours long (given the trend of Nolan's previous movies getting longer and longer).

Ghost in the Shell
Whitewashing issue aside, this was better than it had any right to be. Not that it was particularly good, mind you (except the visuals), but keep in mind how low the bar for live-action Hollywood-made anime adaptions.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
Did you see the first one? Did you like it? Yeah, pretty much just that, more of the same (but that's not a bad thing). Plus, y'know, Kurt Russell.

IT
Wasn't intending to see it originally, but the strong word-of-mouth got me interested. And it ended up being pretty good. AAA horror movies tend to miss their mark with me, but I thought it was genuinely good all-around.

John Wick Chapter 2
See what I said about GotG2 above. More just like the first, but that's okay by me.

Justice League
I feel like the only person who had actual fun watching this, I had a big dumb grin on my face the whole time. Not the best comic movie by a good margin, but way more entertaining than the popular opinion of it would seem to suggest.

Logan
Now that's how you do a Wolverine solo movie. Kind of a western-in-disguise, but a good one...not to mention one of the more emotionally-heavy comic films.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Okay, confession time: I kinda liked this series. They're not great (and they're not particularly good adaptions of the games), but they do have a kind of "guilty pleasure" appeal for me. This one's pretty much par for the course compared to the rest of 'em.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
No-question best Spider-Man movie since 2004, definitely a good start to (hopefully) more MCU Spidey.

Split
Best thing Shyamalan's done since Unbreakable, and the first once since then that I bothered to sit all the way through.

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Not as good as The Empire Strikes Back (what is?), but better than any of the prequels by a pretty wide margin. Like JL, I can't see what's been causing so many polarizing opinions about this one.

Thor: Ragnarok
Yeah, no contest it's the best of the three Thor movies. The others were...okay, I suppose. But this has something they really lacked: fun.

Transformers: The Last Knight
...alright, these things are really starting to test my patience. Yes, even for brainless CGI popcorn sci-fi/action.

Underworld: Blood Wars
Not bad, but none of the follow-ups have been as good as the original. It's at least worth a watch.

War for the Planet of the Apes
Another one of the movies I wasn't originally intending to see but ended up being nicely surprised by. Also, another pseudo-western. And Woody Harrelson made for a really good sympathetic/psychotic antagonist.

Wonder Woman
I thought it was pretty good. Not as world-moving as a lot of opinions I've heard/read, but I think it's about as good as the DCEU's gonna do with how it's going right now.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Deep Blue Sea 2

While it obviously doesn't measure up to it's much beloved predecessor, being a direct-to-DVD title and all, the concept of baby sharks attacking as a school i don't think had been tackled before so props to them for going this direction on the majority of the kills. Also of note, the submerged facility hallways have a vast array of neon lighting depending which one the potential victim is wandering. I also like that the main reason the research is even brought back is because the mad billionaire thinks the machines are gonna take over the world Terminator-style. :tongue: :D
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Alien: Covenant

I actually really, really liked this film (and it's responsible for reigniting my passion for the franchise in general). To me, it's the first Alien movie in the anthology that is beautiful, or at lest prone to moments of beauty, which is odd, given the sheer amount of gore and body-horror; Jed Kurzel's beautiful piece that played during the chestburster sequence is a great example of this. All up I thought they did a good job of merging the mythical, almost biblical elements, of Prometheus alongside the components of a monster flick.

SPOILER: Show
Also, the bombing sequence, and seeing the Engineer city reduced to a veritable Pompeii was magnificent, eerie and chilling.

The protomorph is probably my favourite look/design ever for the beast too, alongside the drone from Alien: Isolation and The Dragon from Alien³.

SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm

^ Well, that's not to say I hated it (you're correct in saying that it's a beautifully-shot-and-constructed film and, as I said previously, I found the ending great), I was just...I dunno, a bit disappointed? Yeah, that feels right. But by the looks of its critical and fan reception, I was much less disappointed than others.

The Alien series in general has been a pretty mixed bag for me: the first one is my second-favorite horror movie (just behind the 1982 version of The Thing), Aliens is permanently in my top five favorite action movies, Alien 3 is one of those movies I like that a lot of people don't (I kinda like its oppressive, bleak tone), Alien Resurrection has its moments (like the Newborn) but is fairly weak overall (although I can't say I hate it either; one simply can't hate any movie with Ron Perlman), AvP was more dumb fun, AvP: Requiem is the worst of the series (like all of the Transformers movies, there was too much focus on the humans) and Prometheus was one of the more surprising movies I saw back in 2012 (even though it tried its damnedest to avoid being shackled to the franchise).

Back to topic: saw Avengers: Infinity War two days ago. Wow, just...wow. Just go see it, that's all I can really say. It's epic in every way that matters, and it's the new benchmark for MCU films (the ensemble ones, anyway).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

TBsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Wed May 02, 2018 5:49 pm

I recently watched L' année dernière à Marienbad by Alain Resnais (I'm french so it's part of my culture). This is one of most surrealist films I've ever seen. The pacing and the atmosphere are very ahead for its time. I can clearly see how it influenced David Lynch or even Inception. I think it breaks as many codes as many of Robert Bresson's films, another french director from the same period.

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Isle of Dogs

What else can I say it was good

Also TBsq I love your profile picture, one of my favorite movies.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed May 09, 2018 2:14 pm

The Killer (1989)

My first foray into foreign John Woo territory, it delivered a barrage of gun battles all the while establishing well versed codes of honor and friendship between gangsters and cops. I would've given it a perfect score were it not for the tragic ending which Chinese movies seem to be stacking a reputation for. :irked:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:49 pm

*cough *cough Hero (2002)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Hadn't seen it since that first time in theaters. Still a magnificent superhero team origin story. The friendship between Hiro and Baymax is multiple levels of positive emotion. Fred stole the show at every turn being the comic relief and it also helps that TJ Miller voiced him. Given Miller's present circumstances with the law, it kind of was a given that for the show they wouldn't have him reprise the role but why replace Damon Wayans Jr. as Wasabi also? I mean, Khary Payton is not so bad, he IS Cyborg from Teen Titans but I still don't get it. On the more romantic couple side of things, I would say realistically that Fred and Gogo need to be an item since Hiro is too young for both females in the team :uhh: and Fred/Gogo is a classic case of opposites attract! ^_^

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue May 22, 2018 4:39 am

In cinemas: Deadpool 2. Ehh, it was alright. Entertaining enough. The first Deadpool felt like a breath of fresh air, and while the air here was far from stagnant- it wasn’t nearly as refreshing.
Lots of gags; but as is often the case for comedies- the majority of the best ones were spoiled by the trailers, unfortunately.
There were a couple of groaners, like “You stole that line from Robocop”, because pausing to acknowledge the existence of other movies is funny, right?
A couple of nice, quickie sight gags too though, like: the cure for blindness, and the “more popular” X-men not getting involved.
Domino stole the show. The mid-credits sequence may have been the highlight.

=====

DVD: Moonlight. 1 hour 45 minutes of good acting, but not much else. I was expecting some sort of big twist or incident to happen after the diner scene, but then the credits rolled. I had to laugh. "That's it?"
No lessons taught, and no consequences. Not sure what I was supposed to take home from this.
Best picture 2017? Besides this cynical rundown, I don’t get it.

=====

No items. Fox only. Final Destination Marathon:

Final Destination. Neat horror concept: no monster, no slasher, just death itself out to get you.
The presence of Death is occasionally represented by an ominous shadowy effect creeping up on the victims, but more often it is signified through a gentle breeze- which might have been an effective sort of “calm before the storm” visual metaphor if it wasn’t kind of silly.
Good idea, but hampered by the film’s slow pacing.

FD 2. Accessible to newcomers, but it rewards fans with the little connections to the first. Deaths are more whacky and inventive this time; the fire escape sequence being my personal favourite of the series. Perfect sequel.

FD 3. Standalone sequel. The story bullet points are already feeling repetitive: premonition, police interview, elaborate first death, the “deaths are in order” realisation etc.
The hilariously creepy coroner doesn’t show up on screen this time. Bummer. The tanning salon deaths were probably the nastiest of the series.
OK, but skippable.

The Final Destination. Lots of embarrassing CG up in your face because 3D cinema fad. No interesting twists. Actors sound bored.
The characters are convinced they’ve won around the 50 minute mark, it was disappointing the film didn’t just stop there and then.
Skip.

FD 5. A tiny tweak to the regular formula in the third act elevates this one high above the previous two films. And the coroner makes a return, yay.
Don't skip.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu May 24, 2018 3:50 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:FD 2. Accessible to newcomers, but it rewards fans with the little connections to the first. Deaths are more whacky and inventive this time; the fire escape sequence being my personal favourite of the series. Perfect sequel.

I happened to watch it last night and I feel a bit bad for trashing it without thinking it through on another message board. :facepalm:

I admired it even more after not seeing it for a long time with the new rules that for some reason the backwards order only was used for this film and the other sequels ignored the concept completely, going for the order they would've died in and so on. :???: I did think that despite it being brilliant in some aspects, some of the actors' performances; officer Burke and Rory, in particular; could've used better interpretation. I used to hate Eugene for being the skeptic prick but in some ways, he does the job of expressing what some of the audience would've said to Clear Rivers and Kimberly about the coincidences between the pileup and Flight 180 nicely. Had they not died, I think Clear might've moved on from Alex with Eugene given how intense their dynamic was in hurtling insults at each other at first but then her being all concerned for him when he needed medical help as well as searching for him in the hospital.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun May 27, 2018 1:28 pm

I have watched Lone Ranger a few days back, and it felt like the authors were constantly high while writing the script. A few good jokes, but it generally leaves the impression of "wtf did I just watch"
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon May 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Fifty Shades Freed - Hands down IMO the best out of the trilogy! It didn't just deal with the Christian and Ana sexual situations that we are so used to, it provided a few more thrills in terms of pregnancy drama threatening to tear them apart as well as pissed off ex-colleagues seeking revenge. It also mentions Mrs. Robinson but never puts her physically in at least one scene which would've been nice to at least hear what her and Grey talked about since it led to some of the most intense arguments between him and Ana. :uhh:

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:28 am

Me and You and Everyone We Know - Enjoyable indie flick. Not the sort of thing I'm used to, so that was refreshing. A few slow bits, but on the whole, a very worthy movie. Recommended viewing.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Mishima: A life in 4 chapters.
In all it's perfected glory of sleek ambition and technical prowess, this beautifully realized movie makes me miss a certain something.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm

ANNIHILATION. It's fucking perfect. Nobody watched it. We're fucked.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm

I watched it.

Go read the book, if you haven't yet. The movie doesn't spoil anything.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”