SEGA General

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

SEGA General

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:34 pm

There's already a thread for Sonic, I'm sick to death of Sonic, there are only a handful of genuinely good Sonic games and the rest are guilty pleasures, go to the Sonic thread to discuss Sonic unless it's a reference or cameo or crossover. Thank you.

I've recently been playing Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 Part 2, and remembered how much I love SEGA games. From pinball to platformers to racing, almost anything produced by SEGA (excluding the majority of Sonic Team titles) is of immense quality. Some of my absolute favorites are Fantasy Zone II W, Space Harrier, Phantasy Star II, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, NiGHTS into Dreams, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, both Space Channel 5 games (Ulala's Cosmic Attack is dead to me), Samba de Amigo (I've only played the Wii version), Super Monkey Ball, Bayonetta, and House of the Dead. The fast paced, challenging action of these titles show that SEGA never truly left the arcade mindset, and their poppy, crazy games are so refreshing and fun in an industry so flooded with generic sports titles, brown bang bang shooty FPS games, and ridiculously over complicated RPGs. I enjoy nothing more than picking one of the SEGA titles I own at random, popping it in, and just having a fantastic time.

What are your favorite SEGA titles? What SEGA projects are you looking forward to? Which dormant franchise or single game do you wish had a sequel? Why are Football Manager and Total War popular? Is Yakuza worth playing?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: SEGA General

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Back when I had the Dreamcast, I was anticipating playing the first Shenmue game I got for one Christmas but apparently, it was defective or something because it would cut to black and not come back to a different scene for long periods of time. Because of the recent news of Shenmue 1 and 2 being re-released on PS4, I hope to revisit the memories and this time play with no defects holding me back.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Back when I had the Dreamcast, I was anticipating playing the first Shenmue game I got for one Christmas but apparently, it was defective or something because it would cut to black and not come back to a different scene for long periods of time. Because of the recent news of Shenmue 1 and 2 being re-released on PS4, I hope to revisit the memories and this time play with no defects holding me back.

Yeah, Shenmue has serious problems with certain Dreamcast models (https://youtu.be/fq4fyPrODsY). The Dreamcast in general, for as ahead as it's time as it was in most departments, has tons of problems with discs. Easy to rip and play pirated copies were a huge part of poor game sales and part of the reason the Dreamcast failed. It's crazy loud when reading discs and loads a LOT, and games that have been sealed for years just don't even launch.

At least it was easy to program for and port arcade games to, unlike the Saturn (rip)

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm

So yesterday SEGA Forever's social media accounts (or at least their Instagram) teased a SEGA Forever release of Dynamite Headdy, a game by Treasure. You may know Treasure as the company that made Gunstar Heroes and Sin & Punishment, two awesome run & gun games. I personally consider them SEGA's Rareware, at least for the Genesis and Saturn. I just hope it's a port and not emulated, because only a select few controllers work with the emulated titles.

EDIT: Well, the emulated title was released yesterday and it's just as shit as the others. Which really sucks because Treasure, the developers of this and other badass 90s games like Gunstar Heroes and Sin & Punishment, are considering pulling out of game development and just licensing their IPs to other developers, so they could use all the financial support they could get, and I highly doubt this botched, shitty emulation will sell much.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm

I also enjoyed Hydro Thunder very much whether it be on Dreamcast or in the arcade version. The controls were a little clunky but it still felt amazing nevertheless.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Has anyone else had trouble with the Steam release of NiGHTS into Dreams recently? I've seen a few others on the Steam discussion page stating that the game slows down immensely when obtaining the Trick Ribbon state, which I've experienced as of late as well, despite upgrading to much better hardware compared to the potato I used to play on.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Napple Tale is a delight. Even if you can't understand what's going on (the fan translation is still being worked on), it's still lots of fun and has a wonderful atmosphere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu May 27, 2021 5:16 pm

God daaaaaaamn Burning Rangers got me rethinking my stance on SonicTeam. What I first mistook as input lag specifically in the movement, is actually a grace period that lets you turn to aim in place, and that coupled with learning you can jet around and sort of hover infinitely by inputting a direction+jump in the air makes it SOOOO much more enjoyable, especially in the wide open areas. While I do wish there were a dedicated dodge button instead of just context-sensitive directional inputs to dodge backdraft explosions, and tapping left or right + jump to dodge incoming fire from rogue machines can be a bit finnicky when you just want to actually jump but you only started moving a second ago so when you press jump you just dodge... game's still surprisingly fun, even if I can just barely understand the audio navigation system. No way I was spending $300 on a US copy on top of the $50 it would cost for an Action Replay for my JP Saturn. Hidari left, matsuru forward, migi right, that's all I need.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri May 28, 2021 11:43 pm

Damn, BR is great but once you hit mission 3 it starts going downhill, even if you're fluent in Japanese [or English if you're a rich bastard or have Pseudo Saturn/an emulator]. The performance already wasn't great, but all the transparencies and more complicated environment models in the abandoned space station really slow things down to a crawl, I'm talking an average of maybe 12-15 FPS. It's funny, I already knew left, right, and forward in Japanese but I actually learned "up above you" due to relying on the audio guidance system so much. I'd definitely give it a solid go, but do emulate before dropping even $60 on a Japanese copy. It's only about 2 hours long unless you replay missions, and the feel of the movement and acceleration takes some getting used to and isn't for everyone.
Currently setting up to run burned games on my console, I know it's technically not... legal, but 95% of Saturn games are entirely unavailable and never got a port, and I'm not spending $500 to buy a used copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga from an ebay seller who has nothing to do with the creation of the game. I've ordered a cart already flashed with Pseudo Saturn and I'm building a ROM/CD-R collection of my most wanted expensive Saturn games. It's actually kinda fun drawing on the discs while I wait for my cart to arrive, I get to make my own disc art or try to copy the official disc art. I'll probably buy custom cases for my favorite CD-R games on Etsy or ebay, just to display em on my shelf :D

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:31 pm

If anyone here has played it, is finishing Shining Force 1 worth it? I'm mostly playing for the strategy gameplay, but the RNG is driving me insane. Just got to Runefaust and the chimaera enemies in the first battle there are absolutely infuriating, dodging 9/10 hits even from my most powerful characters. And it's not like there's an accuracy stat, so even if I grind the shit out of this battle, using Max's Egress spell to escape once I've been overpowered by these assholes, it won't help. I'm so close to the end but I don't care about the story at all, and I hear Shining Force 2 fixes a lot of the first game's issues, even if it is harder overall and supposedly has a brutal first battle. Since I'm only playing for the SRPG elements, I'm seriously considering dropping it after attempting this battle 1 or 2 more times while listening to OneyPlays or something so I'm not stuck hearing the same two tracks over and over for 30-40 minutes thanks to these damn chimaeras.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:02 am

As for non-video game Sega media. The Sonic movie was actually really good, and it was the first non-Korean movie that Sega produced since The End of Evangelion.
Sega actually makes a ton of movies but only in Korea, and the only non-Korean movies they have made are the Sonic movie, The End of Evangelion, and Evangelion: Death & Rebirth.
And considering that Sega had a new movie logo for the Sonic movie (even though they could get away with just recycling the one they made for EoE), a Sega Cinematic Universe is possible.

I really hope for that Sega Cinematic Universe, that can also include TMS properties (since TMS helped with the animation in the Sonic movie, they do the FMVs for the Sonic games, and they are owned by Sega) like Lupin III. And maybe even Evangelion considering that Sega helped with the production in D&R and EoE.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”