Issues with the search feature

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Issues with the search feature

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 am

After trying and failing to find posts on some things multiple times now, I feel like something needs to be changed about the way the search feature, or, to be more precise, the ignore filter works.
Firstly, Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Misato and Gendo are listed as too common and are not taken into consideration. This, is downright ridiculous if you ask me.

Secondly, the three-digit-rule is in dire need of exception, most notably two-digit number combinations (searching for threads on specific Eva Units is pretty much impossible as it is right now), and Jo, Ha as well as Q, for reasons obvious.

Even better would be a customizable whitelist, but I do understand that this requires major changes in the site's source code
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Issues with the search feature

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Whoa. I didn't realize the search feature was so limited. If it's not sufficiently improved in the pending update that I never get around to, I'll investigate extensions/mods to make the search better. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 pm

I think the behaviour is fairly standard for things that aren't really search engines -- the database will have indexed the words, and dropped a standard stop-list ("a" "the" "and" etc.), plus the forum specific high-frequency items that would make the SQL queries return "too many" results.

We did use to have a Google "search this forum" widget, which took advantage of that dedicated engine for the task. The work-round is to go to your preferred search engine and use a "site:forum.evageeks.org" qualifier for your search, which does the same thing as the widget.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:04 pm

High-frequency items like "Shinji" may be useless on their own, but still have a place to play in separating out items which could apply to any pilot, for instance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:09 pm

I wish the advanced search feature would allow us to choose a single thread to search if we search while in the thread, rather than redirecting us to a forum-wide search where we have to weed through a heap more of results.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:55 am

Another two terms that could use a place on the whitelist are S2 and N2
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:57 am

Per this post, I am trying to find topic titles that include the phrase "second impact" in the rebuild discussion forum.

I configure a search like this:

SPOILER: Show

But get this search failure:

It seems like there are maybe two issues causing this search failure:

1) the ignore filter issue raised in the original post above from 2018, and
2) some kind of phrase-searching issue such as discussed in phpBB topics like these: 2016, 2020.

I've tried a couple of variations of my search (with and without " marks, with and without + symbols, etc.). Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do with the current forum setup? If not, can we modify phpBB per the 2020 link above to make it work?

Thanks in advance to the moderation team who keep this place chugging along! :clap:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 am

Oh no, this again... -o-; This matter was discussed again in the forum administrative area back in September, though.
What’s happening to you is something that bothers a lot of people on this forum: like mentioned in this thread, the search tool ignores too common words, making it sometimes unusable.

Alternatively, try to use the * wildcard, like this: “secon* impac*” (without the quotes)
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:42 am

Awesome, that worked!

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”