Why were there only 3 impacts ?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Why were there only 3 impacts ?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:A clone of Adam imbued with the soul of the original would basically be a new Adam.

It would provide a nice jump-start for Adam's resurrection, but I'm not 100% sure it would be entirely enough. Throw the embryo in the mix and it would probably work.

StrokeMeGoat wrote:It's a mystery as to where Adam/Kaworu's soul, or indeed, any soul goes after death in the series

If part of the body remains intact, the soul stays in there, as demonstrated directly in EoE and intimated in #23. (This doesn't hold for cored beings, since death results from breaking the vessel that contains the soul.) Adam's soul could end up at Lilith's feet still bound to Kaworu's head, and I suppose as long as nobody disturbed it, Lilith would be able to absorb it when she drops off and starts dramatically swelling.

IIRC it's actually ambiguous as to whether or not the Lance of Longinus was removed from Adam for the Contact Experiment that resulted in 2nd Impact or not, and whether or not it impaling a Seed of Life would prevent an impact from occurring if contact is made.

(A) The Spear had been removed from Adam at some point, and sent away from Antarctica for study. (At least, this is implied by the fact that it's found inside Adam but we're told about it arriving at the base a couple of months before the experiment.) The bindings on Adam can thus be explained as having been put there to keep Adam in check while allowing Adam's physiology and metaphysical properties to actually be studied -- something that would probably be impossible without taking the Spear out first. (How do you study Adam's ATF if the Spear is there preventing the ATF from manifesting?)

(B) In the 21' flashback, they say that the Spear is "sinking in" and they can't pull it back. Sinking into Adam? Merging? Frustratingly vague. Supplemental sources indicate that they did manage to use the Spear on Adam but for whatever reason it didn't work. Or perhaps it did, just not in the way you'd expect. Instead of putting Adam to sleep again, did it force her body to burn off in an explosion and leave nothing but an egg behind? If so, was this because of deliberate modifications Seele made while the Spear was away from Antarctica? *huge shrug*
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:48 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It would provide a nice jump-start for Adam's resurrection, but I'm not 100% sure it would be entirely enough. Throw the embryo in the mix and it would probably work.

That honestly sounds like a really cool plot development and I really wish a story would cover that idea.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:10 am

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:That honestly sounds like a really cool plot development and I really wish a story would cover that idea.

I did attempt it once upon a time... -o-;
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(B) In the 21' flashback, they say that the Spear is "sinking in" and they can't pull it back. Sinking into Adam? Merging?

That calls to mind EoE's Tree of Life, but both 21' and Misato's flashbacks, we briefly glimpse Adam up and mobile, but there's no sign of the Spear anywhere. :???:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:54 am

Best I've got is that the Spear was completely internalized, similar to how it was in Eva-01 after she popped out of GNR. There, we at first saw no indication that the Spear was still fused with her, but then she barfed it up from her hammerspace. Like it got stuck on the "other side" or something. :???:

This reminds me that we're never given any reason whatsoever for why Seele waited until 2015 to retrieve the Spear from Antarctica. It's a central component of HIP, so why leave it down there so long? They recovered everything else of value from the site IMMEDIATELY after Second Impact, so what gives? Maybe the explanation is something really dumb/obvious/both, but part of me wonders if maybe it could be something really wacky, like the Spear needed that long to, uh, reconstitute itself? (I need to think this through more...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm

^ Perhaps the technology to recover the Spear did not exist. Deep water recovery of small items is an arduous task now, imagining something the length of an EVA or longer, and weighing in at a few dozen tons would require more than a DSV to recover.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”