What is the inspiration/reasoning behind the Angel's design?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What is the inspiration/reasoning behind the Angel's design?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:08 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Mixing canons here a bit, but in the rebuilds, the angels are classified into categories: Infection, Rejection and a third one that I forgot.

I know that Angels are described as "types" on two occasions (I can't find a third), but how do you go from that to "there's a categorization system you can put them all under"? I guess it makes sense of why the 10th would be the "MOST POWERFUL rejection type", but how are you classifying so many Angels so confidently? What am I missing here?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I know that Angels are described as "types" on two occasions (I can't find a third), but how do you go from that to "there's a categorization system you can put them all under"? I guess it makes sense of why the 10th would be the "MOST POWERFUL rejection type", but how are you classifying so many Angels so confidently? What am I missing here?

I was more than just a bit tired when I was writing this, so chances are I got something mixed up somewhere. My general train of thought was "If angels are classified into types, there have to be more of each", and after looking at the way each angel fights, I arranged them in a way that made sense to me: Fuyutsuki (or was it Gendo? Not 100% sure right now) classified Zeruel as a rejection-type pretty quickly, so its behavior and abilities must be fairly typical for rejection-types. And all that was known about Zeruel when it was said was that it has a very capable AT field and the (in lack of a better term) angelic (cross-)beam, while going straight for Central Dogma and Lilith, without the use of tricks or advanced strategies. Sachiel clearly matches this description, and if we ignore the placement of the core, Ramiel, Tunniel and Clockiel go under it as well - Shamshel is a bit of a different story, but has the core on its chest (which I assumed to be typical for rejection-types, but in retrospect that doesnt make all that much sense, given that it does not use the crossbeam or a prominent AT field).
Infection-types on the other hand are a bit of a different story, seeing how Bardiel was the first one to appear in the Rebuilds, and yet it was immediately classified as one, which leads me to believe that there has to be some sort of classification in the dead sea scrolls (because otherwise it seems like a bit of a stretch to go from "this angel is infecting Unit 01" to "infection-type"). The one notable feature of Bardiel is that it is parasitic and capable of altering the physical properties and/or the behavior of whatever thing it is infecting - given that those two properties are all that we know about the infection types, Ireul and to an extent the twelfth and Armisael also match this description - Ireul utilizes the simulation bodies to attack the Magi, altering its behevior, and rearranges their cells to be more efficient as a biocomputer. The twelfth infected Mark.06, causing it to change its behavior and the entire body is the core, and thats about all we know about it at this point, making it fairly hard to confidently classify. Armisael doesnt seem to fight traditionally, but rather uses the body of an Eva Unit to do whatever it was actually trying to do with Unit 00 (reviving its brothers is a reasonable guess, but it might have been something else entirely as well), and also seems to require being destroyed in its entirety to kill it.
The "third category" is everything that doesnt fit in either (I thought that it has been said at some point, but it seems like my mind was just playing tricks on me, my bad), and could as well be multiple categories at once, seeing how Angels that dont really fall into either category range from Gaghiel all the way to abstract beings like Arael or Leliel.

I am not 100% if this will help clarifying what I meant or just add to the confusion
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:44 am

Something else I remembered recently that's fairly interesting: in some Jewish lore, Sandalphon is one of two Angels described as having been humans ascended to a higher plane (he was originally the prophet Elijah). Given that, it's probably no coincidence Sandalphon is the only Angel we see in embryonic form, showing his "ascension". He's also one of the Angels that represents one of the Ten Sephiroth.

Strangely though, one of the Angel Sandalphon's defining traits is being insanely huge compared to a lot of other Angels, while the one we see isn't much bigger than Unit-02, and Gaghiel is the largest Angel if you don't count GNR.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:11 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:Something else I remembered recently that's fairly interesting: in some Jewish lore, Sandalphon is one of two Angels described as having been humans ascended to a higher plane (he was originally the prophet Elijah). Given that, it's probably no coincidence Sandalphon is the only Angel we see in embryonic form, showing his "ascension". He's also one of the Angels that represents one of the Ten Sephiroth.

Sandalphon also is "the voice of god", who (at least according to a friend of mine whos girlfriend has studied christian mythology in university and is generally pretty good in stuff like this) apparently could physically shatter a humans eardrums by simply speaking

Strangely though, one of the Angel Sandalphon's defining traits is being insanely huge compared to a lot of other Angels, while the one we see isn't much bigger than Unit-02, and Gaghiel is the largest Angel if you don't count GNR.

I didnt take exact measurements, but I think Sahaquiel is be a bit bigger than Gahghiel
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”