HBO's Westworld

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: HBO's Westworld

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:53 pm

SPOILER: Show
I feel for MIB... he had a taste and it slipped through his fingers, went full-Gendo trying to get it back, and clearly his heart was utterly shattered when he found her again only to see her revealed as just a thing. Really puts a different spin on the rape scene earlier, as it's implied he's gone down various paths with Dolores over the years trying to rekindle that spark of sentience and over time he's come to truly hate her for never living up to that potential. The search for the maze is ultimately the same goal he's always had, sparked by Maeve's brief awakening and the hint that something more really is out there, but he just can't see it because it's not for him, at least not directly. Along the way he lost sight of helping Dolores and just focused on helping himself. At the end I think he understood though, and was happy to see the hosts finally arise even if it meant his death... he knew very well they deserved it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:28 pm

What i like is that he's open to interpretation.

SPOILER: Show
I don't think he ever cared about Dolores, truly. He valued her because she was unique, and he thought her uniqueness was a response to him specifically. He was chasing the idea that something about him made the puppet a real girl. When he discovered that she's programmed to 'fall for' guests who start an interaction chain by picking up her dropped can of condensed milk, it changed him. He became a nihilist- he says more than once that the real world is a game, Westworld is a game, everything is a game. Logan was trying to show William that he'd been tricked by a robot, but William took it to mean that everyone, flesh and blood or not, is a robot, an NPC in the game where he's the player and the only thing that's meaningful is to win.

He thinks he's very powerful, as we know from his constant bragging, but Ford was right. His character betrays an urgency. He can't make meaning, he wants someone to give it for him, and he's so blinded himself in his quest for a solution that he couldn't see that Dolores, lying there in the dirt, was ready to accept him as William again. He was so busy looking for the perfect cherry blossom that he missed the perfection right in front of his eyes. He was so desperate to recapture that feeling that he tainted Dolores' perfect memory of the William that she knew, effectively destroying what he was seeking.

Ed Harris is probably coming back from what I've read so I'm very, very curious to see what they do with his character.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:23 am

The soundtrack is out. The string quartet arrangement of Motion Picture Soundtrack is haunting.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Return to “Film and Video”