Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 am

HOLY SHIT he's editing the movie.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:40 am

Given how long we've known it's been actively being worked on, is that really surprising?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:54 am

Does this mean will be seeing 3.0+1.0 this year? Or at least in early 2019?

:w00t:

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:54 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Does this mean will be seeing 3.0+1.0 this year? Or at least in early 2019?

:w00t:

2019 is far more likely, but we have zero concrete information on the release date yet.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:24 am

Okay, I think it's time to burst some bubbles. I don't believe it means he's editing a finished product, like you would a live-action film. Because it's animation, where everything can be controlled down the last frame, he may be editing what shots he wants to use before the cuts are sent to the animators.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 am

If you compare Anno's storyboards to the finished product, very little changes. In other words, when the animation process starts, all of that has been decided already.
I believe he edits after the animation is done.
Not necessarily coloured, but the other way would seem weird to me.

@pwhodges: It's not surprising to me, was just excited about the confirmation lol.
But some people still believe they don't even have a script, so maybe they are convinced now.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Okay, I think it's time to burst some bubbles. I don't believe it means he's editing a finished product, like you would a live-action film. Because it's animation, where everything can be controlled down the last frame, he may be editing what shots he wants to use before the cuts are sent to the animators.

The italian translation mentions "sala di montaggio", and that's where they put the cuts together and shapes movies, but I don't know if that's something true for original tweet too.

It doesn't mean that they have a completed movie, but they probably have animations and backgrounds completed at a level that can be watched from start to finish like this

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:39 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Image

I both fear and kinda hope that things will follow this chart to the letter
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Well, I already abandoned the hype train for the FF7 Remake, might as well buy my ticked for this one...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:24 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:It doesn't mean that they have a completed movie, but they probably have animations and backgrounds completed at a level that can be watched from start to finish like this

Yeah, I think that's right. They still have a lot more work to do.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:51 pm

The only true answer is that we don't know lol.
But 2.0 was made in less than 2 years...

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:20 am

Hopefully it happens before John Bolton wags the dog into getting the entire Korean peninsula nuked.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Cruel
Banned

Postby The Cruel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:11 am

^
I told you all. It isn't the right time for FINAL to be revealed now.

The mentioned promotion perhaps 'll do.

The fateful and inevitable day for Rebuild to end 'll come.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:34 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The italian translation mentions "sala di montaggio", and that's where they put the cuts together and shapes movies, but I don't know if that's something true for original tweet too.

Original: 今日もカントクは編集室におこもりです(エヴァは初手から最後までずっと編集する)
Translation: Even today the director is secluded in the editing room (editing Eva all the way from start to finish)

編集 is used here in the same sense English would use "(film) editing".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Sounds like my long held belief that the movie is much further along in production than most people think remains true.

distopia
Lilith

Postby distopia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:59 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The italian translation mentions "sala di montaggio", and that's where they put the cuts together and shapes movies, but I don't know if that's something true for original tweet too.

It doesn't mean that they have a completed movie, but they probably have animations and backgrounds completed at a level that can be watched from start to finish like this

Thanks for sharing our post.
As Reichu said, 編集室 is "editing room", so "sala di montaggio" is a perfect translation.
By the way, our translator lives in Japan since 2014 and he is proficient in Japanese, English and Italian: Distopia Evangelion is a reliable source.

Edit: thank you, Reichu. Incomplete copypasting, my bad.
Last edited by distopia on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby KRandMJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Does the tweet discerns that he's editing the script or storyboards? It cant be animation.
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

^ One of Khara’s secondary account’s first tweets was that Sagisu was already writing music for Shin Eva. That usually happens after all the scenes have been finalized. I wouldn’t be surprised if Khara is in the video editing/compositing/rough CGI phase.

Though, this is animation, and most of that takes place in some form of video editing system, even if shots aren’t entirely finished yet. But, yeah. Anno’s well beyond the scripting stages.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:Does the tweet discerns that he's editing the script or storyboards? It cant be animation.

It doesn't say. I imagine it's something along the lines of what Joseki said. It's probably a rough cut of the movie, using whatever happens to be available at this stage. That could be completed animation for one section, genga for another, CGI animatics for another, and mere layouts another place. If voices haven't been recorded yet, they should be any time now.

View Original Postdistopia wrote:As Reichu said, 編集 is "editing room"

Well, to be picky, 編集 is just "editing". 編集室 is "editing room".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 am

According to Google/Bing when snapping a reference picture for a cut Mr. Tsurumaki instructed "to tell the children 「ば、ばぶ…」".

No idea of what 「ば、ばぶ…」is.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”